Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Prizes?

A topic by vorotato created Oct 13, 2021 Views: 165 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Host(+1)

How would everyone feel about a small prize like a F# mug or shirt via a digital zazzle gift card to purchase from the F# Foundation and a $100 cash prize? What amount of prize would make it exciting to participate but not so much as to make things cut throat? In the unlikely event that I win the person in 2nd place will receive the prize, because I created this because I wanted a game jam so I do want to participate, but I don't want to undermine my own event :P. 

(+2)

Personally, I would  be just a bit more excited to participate with a small prize. Anything really counts (bonus points if its something related to F#) and could even be something more "symbolic" than "material" (e.g. getting the winning game featured in some F# community page).

Just note that doing prizes in game jams that are not widely known is kinda tricky because there's so little people to begin with. On one hand, it would help push some people towards participating (makes you feel like it is more worth your time and effort). However, if coming up with a prize involves asking for a participation fee, a bunch of other folks are immediately discouraged.

Host

Wonderful, I'll keep that in mind. I don't plan on ever charging a fee because I agree that it would discourage people.  Basically the prize is an amount that I felt comfortable chipping in to promote the event, the digital gift card for F# swag is from the F# Foundation. I feel like a hundred bucks is enough that most people could think of something fun they could get with it. I'm hoping putting a little skin in the game helps people get involved and feel like they're actually winning. I can also put up a post about the winning game on the F# reddit, but I'll need to clear that with the other mods if we can sticky that or  something to make it feel special.

Submitted(+1)

Personally the idea of a prize is always appealing, especially as someone who's still learning the language - gives me a good excuse to keep learning.

A couple of additional ideas for swag from my wife: tote bag, travel mug/cup, beach towel, lanyard, phone case, key chain, cuff links(?).

Any of those, as well your own above, would be a cool prize to win (in our joint opinion).