Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

(DEVLOG) Demon Core

A topic by XavierCK created Feb 02, 2023 Views: 257 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted(+1)

Hey all! This is my first gam jam on here, so I hope I'm doing everything right.

I'm working on a mission module called Demon Core. FIST has been called into action to dispose of weapons targeting the 1983 G7 Summit, and in the process they find the pieces of the notorious Demon Core from the Manhattan project. Officially it was supposed to have been melted down and used for other experiments in 1946, but clearly the official story doesn't match the reality.

Over the course of the mission, the players will face off against multiple CYCLOPS agents along with the deranged and malefic intelligence that infests the radioactive Demon Core.

I'm still hashing out some of the beats and general text, so I've gone ahead and gotten started with some of the graphical elements:

Submitted

In case anyone would like to use it, I've bashed together a logo for CYCLOPS that I'm going to be using in a few places in my zine. You're free to use it in any way you could use other existing FIST work.

If you'd like a vector version, here's an SVG file you can download from my Google Drive.

Submitted

Great idea and nice work on the photocopied looking intel.

Maybe you could improve it a bit with paper-clip silhouettes, corner folds or punch hole marks or maybe more fun torn page versions.

Minor criticism but wouldn't any redacted bits literally be black marker pen hand drawn lines (or even with a ruler), the perfect black rectangles jar a bit for me.

Q: How did they redact bits of typed documents in the cold?  

Spy Document Redacted - Search Images (bing.com) 

Based on the above examples maybe some written notes, signature blocks and official stamps.

Submitted

Hey these are great suggestions! I'm definitely planning on adding more small details like those, especially changing the redacted bits to feel more hand-drawn. I'm waiting to get to the final PDF formatting stage before I get to that, though.

Thanks for the great recommendations!

Submitted

A few little updates!

I've pushed some very early development work on the text of the mission, which you can see on the DEMON CORE page, and here on the Devlog: https://xavierck.itch.io/demon-core/devlog/485852/demon-core-v0023

Here's some more art development work:

Submitted (1 edit)

I, uh, may have gotten a little carried away with this

This is what my document currently looks like in Affinity Publisher, and it's not even half done

Submitted (1 edit)

Maybe from a user who would print this out it looks like I would be printing 6 repeating full page images, and two mostly white pages or 8 sheets of paper and ink used to get the 8 pages of content and a title page.

It also looks like there are about 3 pages worth of area used for a grey pattern or empty space.

Could the two logo pages be placed behind the content maybe as a light grey backdrop when behind text with the large header blocks moved up to the top of the pages.

Would a two column layout allow the content to be condensed and allow the Demon Core logo to work as a background, with the photocopied pages as insets taking up a quarter of a page?

Or could you get this down to 10 pages or less?

PS What about CYCLOPS and FIST stamps for documents?