Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Composer

A topic by Jcoop created Dec 20, 2021 Views: 575 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted(+2)

Full disclosure - I've never scored a video game before.

If you've not been scared away by the first statement, then I'll also tell you that I've been a musician for 20 years, a film/television music editor for 13 years, and a computer geek 30 years and counting... :) As the pandemic has done for a lot of people (opening doors of curiosity and endeavour), I fell down a Youtube rabbit hole of video game composition and fell in love with the process and challenges associated with the implementation. I noticed it really matched up with my 10+ years of editing loops, stingers, transitions, etc for television news network music in particular (which needs to be very modular, layered, and sectioned for live access/usage during broadcast).

Anyway, I have a basic understanding of Wwise and FMOD, but/and I'm a quick study, so if there are other programs/apps that need to be used I'm game - pun fully intended. I'm a team player and very keen to contribute to any sort of project. I've worked on dozens of shows and films, so genre doesn't scare me!

I don't have a game music reel (obviously), but here's a couple of wildly different tracks of mine you can check out (one of which features my intrusive cat on backups in the chorus): https://soundcloud.com/joe-coupal-705825741

Cheers,

Joe

Hey Joe,

I've only been developing for 3 years now, and I'm working on my first full release independent title, everything else so far being prototypes or projects for someone else. Finally making the "dream game"! I won't cram the whole channel with my game description so here's a link with details :) :

https://godotforums.org/discussion/28273/maybe-the-coolest-game-about-dudes-name...

I listened to your music on soundcloud and I'm extremely impressed! Especially with your cat's musical skill. I've been looking around for a composer, also I'd be gladly down for rev-share since I can't pay you any other way currently if that's what you're into, feel free to ask any questions, all cool if you don't wanna participate, have a good one,

Carvii

Also I should note the game will probably be free when it's in the post-jam release, so rev-share might not be an option sorry

Also what non-game projects have you worked on in the past?

Submitted

This game sounds like a nice mix of fun, cheeky, and addictive. I'm happy to me on board if you'll have me! 

You can see some of the stuff I've worked on here: https://m.imdb.com/name/nm7167055/

WOAH, it’s cool to see a handful of shows my sister likes here and definitely

Submitted

So do you have a particular style of music you want for Dylan?

The game is pixel art based so maybe something reminiscent of old video games, I’d like to find one synth to use for the majority of leads for an iconic feel (like the binding of Isaac) or with a lot of random sampling 

Submitted

So, I checked out 'The Binding of Isaac' and to me the music is more modern/contemporary than, say, 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past' (to me, the original archetype for this sort of game). If you're unfamiliar with that music, check it out and let me know which you'd prefer. 

Do you mean that you'd like to have a consistent main theme melody that can be played in different moods depending on the place/situation/Dylan, or an actual specific synth sound/instrument to use for all the lead parts - or both :P

Also, I'm completely new to this itch.io and game jams in general. Is this where we should be conducting these types of discussions or is there like a specific room/thread we should be using now that we've decided to work together on your game?

oh you may have looked at “the binding of Isaac rebirth” I was talking about the original game on flash 

which doesn’t have a retro soundtrack but does use a reoccurring synth 

it’d be cool to have a motif here or there but not necessarily it all depends on the total scope of the project and typically people talk on discord or another platform

Submitted (1 edit)

Ok I have a discord account - Jcoop#4961 - You can reach out to me there and we can keep the conversation going!

Hi. I'll be really interested to see how you find this process. I make music too, to a much less professional standard. But I have found using itch frustrating. Good luck (great music btw).

Submitted

Sorry I'm so late replying to this! Ya itch seemed like a ghost town, but I joined the FFS discord and there were lots of active people there looking for team members. I found some nice folks and got to work on some fun stuff in my first ever game jam!

Submitted (1 edit)

Damn, we should have found this before we released. @Jcoop,  let me know if you want to collaborate on some future projects/jams. Also in the industry outside of game dev! Horror focused at the moment but you can check out our fresh FF entry to see what we can do.

Submitted

I'd love to talk about what you've got going on! Maybe we can collaborate. You can dm me or find me on discord - Jcoop#4961

I'm into writing any kind of music. Let's jam!

Submitted

Sounds great