Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Favorite methods of generating hex terrain/biomes?

A topic by jasonabdin created 79 days ago Views: 217 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Wondering what everyone's favorite methods of generating terrain/biomes for your hexes are?

(2 edits)

I haven't tried many, but I've had a fair bit of fun with the method in Sandbox Generator.

Roll 1d10 for your starting hex: 1-4 Grassland, 5-6 Forest, 7-8 Hills, 9 Marsh, 10 Mountains.

Roll 1d10 for each of the following hexes: 1-5 Same As Previous, 6 Grassland, 7 Forest, 8 Hills, 9 Marsh, 10 Mountains. 

Generate the six hexes around your starter, then from there make "spokes" off those six, then from there, spiral clockwise to fill in the gaps between spokes. This creates a ring around your starting hex. Rinse and repeat to make a ring around that ring, and so forth. 

This method is supposed to generate clusters of similar terrain near each other, but it can sometimes generate lonely patches of Forest, Marsh, or Mountain, so I start using my own discretion if I want a more obvious Big Spooky Swamp or like, the God's Teeth Mountain Range. It also doesn't generate rivers, ocean, or desert, so I usually put desert on the far side of a mountain range if one pops up, then have rivers flowing down the opposite side, "toward civilization." You could also obviously alter the options in the table as you see fit; maybe there are Blasted Lands where Mountains used to be or something like that.

If you use this method to make three full rings around your starting hex, you'll end up with... 37 hexes. D'oh. I'll have to remember to skip the last one.

Submitted (1 edit)

It鈥檚 a bit large-scale for this jam, but Welsh Piper鈥檚 system is one of my favorites

This is my favorite map generator. It has a lot of other cool generators in it too.

I'm using it exclusively to create my map 馃槑

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/124392/d30-Sandbox-Companion

Submitted

This is my favourite for landscape maps - roll some dice and draw coastlines or mountains around them https://www.instructables.com/Draw-Your-Own-Fantasy-Maps/