Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Survival isometric - Title unkown

A topic by CreativaGS created Oct 09, 2021 Views: 259 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

I want to make an isometric survival using Gdevelop. And test some mechanics i'm planning, also I should draw all in game art and I think it will be a great challenge because I want to give my games a new style.

So here we go.

Missed first days of devtober, I started on 10.8

10.8 _ New project starts: 

Checking if there is an skeleton available, i need a message engine, inventory system and perhaps crafting system, save and load is a must. No project fullfills the needs so I  made a frankestein monster and had to mix and fix until all pieces worked togheter. Looks ok for a start.

10.9 _ Isometric implementation.

Working on player sprites from a 2.5 view for 8 directions.

Mechanics to move, iddle and interact with objects in map.
And Z viewport. 

Submitted

10.10 Main chara sprites are finished i worked today in landscape, also working on first mechanics, resource collect and inventory. Added a small gui and some prototypic Gui. This is what it looks like so far.

Submitted

10.11 Worked on resource colllection and inventory, added some visuals, main protoype is upgraded. Resources restore over time and collection requires energy and hunger, next thing to work: resting and recovering hunger.

Submitted

10.12 Working on main map, added deep and decoration. Also working on the fishing mechanics, as soon as all pieces are finished i will upload another picture to compare.

Submitted (1 edit)

Update: 

10.13 Redone item arrange, working on inventory screen, new items added, enlage map.
10.14 Added message hud, and options mechanics, working on tools system.
10.15 Added firepit with choices and conditions. Set them as general mechanics to use in other maps.

This is what we have so far: map redrawed, new items avaliable and some scraps on the beach.

To Do: Crafting system

Submitted

POST MORTEM

First idea gave a ton of variants, when i started to work on the crafting i noticed there are tons of things i want to do, like building, harvesting, hunting... all those mechanics that help in a survival, i also made a combat system.

Thenk i jumped to the furniture crafting system and i found a lot of problems, because first structure was so complex that it cannot allow deeper changes.

So i decided to change from an isolated island to a sim life simulation, save the last changes to this and start using the main skeleton. to the new one.

The change allowed me to have a main simulation engine in no time, and it was wonderful, otherwise it is possible i was still stuck with the furniture mechanics.

The main frame and core modules where remade and the processes were optimized allowing me to create new furniture in less than 3 movements: draw, set variables, insert on game. Most of the game objects are using the same module to interact with them, and i just have to make little changes here and there to give deeper interaction.

Also i found easier to draw house tiles

I think i win a lot with this project, I want to make this game, and it has tons of chances to grow, but at this time it was not his destiny to be ended on this jam, anyway it let a legacy for a ton of future creations that are already on my mind.