Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Quantum splitter (minimalist puzzle game)

A topic by OlivierGuillaume created Oct 04, 2021 Views: 298 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted

Hello!

I just joined this jam. I will continue to work on the game I made for the ludum dare 49: Quantum splitter.

I started game devellopment as a hobby 13 year ago and Unity 5 years ago. I started a few "big" projects but didn't managed to finish them for various reasons. So I decided to try to make the smallest possible commercial games then ramp up progressively to bigger games.

The game I made for LD is a good candidate as it is simple enough to be finished in a few weeks and is touchscreen compatible.

So, there is what I did so far :

10/02

The theme of the ludum dare was "Unstable". I brainstormed and come up with the idea of a puzzle game inspired by the chain reaction agility/luck games from the Flash era.

I tried different art styles, mostly in the minimalism genre, until I found one that was pleasant enough.

Then I spent most of the day implementing the different mecanics. Nothing tricky here as the game is very simple.

I also polished the graphics with particle systems and animations. And I made some editor scripts to speed up the level creation.

10/03

I started the day by generating musics with Strofe (AI tool), as you have to make every asset in a LD compo. Strofe is surprisingly good at generating music for action games, but had some trouble with "chill" musics that would fit a puzzle game. I eventually ended with a half decent music. I definitively will change it later, but for the ludum dare version it will have to do it.

Then I recorded and edited some mouth sounds to make sounds effects for the collisions. And finished the UI.

I spend most of the afternoon making levels. I tried to make the game easy enough as I tend to make my puzzle games too hard. But I think I failed and the game is still way to hard.

After fixing some bugs and having to update Unity because It wouldn't build for webGL, I was able to upload the game just before the deadline.

10/04

After working 30 hours the last 2 days, this day was more of the resting type.

I spend some time improving the game pages in itch.io and ludum dare, and sharing about the game in various places (including here), that's it!

(+1)

Love the concept! The example video has got a really satisfying cascading/sequential feel to it, like somewhere between Ghost Leg and Peggle. Hard to describe, but as a user I'd feel very clever for solving these puzzles!

Submitted

Man! Unbelievable! I wish I could. Not only make such games, but solve it. Stuck at level 17... ;)

My two cents for improving this game: If I have more than one action I want to click another atom while the electrons are still flying. And although the music is nice after a some time (and I spent a good amount) I wish another song would come up.

A question: I always struggle withwhen it comes to creating puzzles. How do you make levels? Thinking for hours? Using a clever algorithm? Or are you just one of those who just invent them? ;)

Submitted

"I want to click another atom while the electrons are still flying."

It was originaly possible but I removed it because I don't want the game to become agility based. However it breaks the flow of the game. I was already considering putting it back.

"I wish another song would come up."

The music was procedurally generated, it's crap. I will replace it with good ones made by real musicians.

"How do you make levels?"

I usually start by adding elements semi randomly, then I remove useless elements and adjust the rest until it becomes interesting.

Sometimes I start with a precise idea. It can be a ruleset consequence I want to showcase, an unusual move, or a "trap" (an obvious moves that don't work).

Submitted

10/05 (day 4)

I made a script that controls the camera zoom and placment depending on the screen resolution and level size. It makes things look better and will same time as I won't have to manually place the camera in future levels.

I also reworked the interface. Now it looks good at any resolution. It is now possible to play with a smarthphone in both orientations.

I got a lot of feedbacks from the ludum dare participants, most notably:

•  Difficulty is too high overall.
  • Big levels are confusing. They are almost impossible to predict so the gameplay becomes "die and retry", not really a puzzle anymore.

So I will have to make more easy levels, and try to replace the hard ones by smaller ones (but still hard).

Submitted (1 edit)

Days 5, 6, 7

Mostly polishing, debugging and making my code/UI more modulable so I can reuse it in future projects.

I also made a build for android and it work like a charm.

This weekend I will start reworking the levels. I plan to make ~50 levels with a lower difficulty curve.

I will publish a 2nd version of the game soon.

Submitted

New version online HERE:

• One new mecanic (atoms without electrons)
  • 20 new levels
  • Better polish
  • Sould work on WEBGL-compatible mobiles (both orientations). Android version is coming soon for devices that don't support WEBGL
Submitted

I updated the game. Changes are mostly better UI and bufixes.

I think this game is good to go unless new problems/bugs emerge. I will wait one week or so for feedbacks then release a final version and and an android build.

In the mean time I will start a new game project.

Submitted(+1)

Quantum Splitter won the Ludum Dare 49!