SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

First Game Ever!

A topic by HD created Oct 03, 2021 Views: 154 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(4 edits) (+1)

Hey y'all!
I really want to start creating my first game instead of waiting until I finish reading a book called Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design (created in 2003 containing advice still very relevant today) to do so. For the past month, I've watched and listened to GDC and game developer podcasts, explored outside what I usually do, and involved myself into different arts like drawing, messing around with FL studio, and others.
What I know is the OOP fundamentals from programming courses utilizing C++ and Java with each lesson requiring me to create a program. Obviously, creating a game requires a lot more steps and focus leading me to use LucidCharts and documenting my ideas  but how can I ACTUALLY program all of this into a simple 8-bit side scrolling game kind of like Mario?

Meddled with Unity a bit but my equipment (Yoga 7) doesn't really support a majority of the engine's capabilities. Plus, my focus is my creations is to be accessible even with a late 2000s computer.

Submitted

Unity was to bloated for me, I couldn't get a grip on it. But with Godot on the other hand it just clicked. Give it a try. GDScript (their scripting language) is not that uncommon or hard to pick up if you're already familiar with C++ and Java.

Submitted

same I use Godot as well. It feels very good and gdscript is pretty easy if you are consistent with it

Godot it is! Thanks!

Submitted

for a side-scrolling 2d game, you just need to import a sprite into the game engine and add a script to program its movement which is fairly standard stuff. you’ll need to read the engine’s API on what function to call to read player input, its different for each engine; then, change the value of the position of the sprite if the input is pressed and boom, you have a moving character.

i second Godot as a lightweight and free open-source engine that is extremely robust, powerful and elegant in its design. it’s one of the best from a software engineer’s perspective. if you want something that fits your use-case 100%, check out Pico-8 although it isn’t free and it uses Lua. at the end of the day, i’d still recommend Godot.

I’ll check out both engines. Thanks!