SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Falloween

A topic by meadow-ghost created Oct 04, 2020 Views: 207 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 6
(2 edits)

馃憢馃徎 Hey folks!

馃巸 Falloween is a fall festival sim where you can carve pumpkins and bob for apples. Mostly going for the nostalgia of going to a big ol' corn maze as a kid :) It's like if the fall festivals in Stardew Valley were a standalone game. Game built in GMS2; sprites designed in Aseprite.

Features

• 馃摐 Search a fall festival for four pumpkin-carving stencils
  • 馃巸 Carve pumpkins in order to bring cheer
  • 馃尵 Traverse a hay bale maze
  • 馃尳 Go diving for items in a corn pit
  • 馃帿 Play some carnival mini-games ?

馃幃 I have a background in game development, art, and music, but it's been awhile since I've worked on anything consistently.  Started working on a game jam last month, didn't finish, but aim to continue work on the project for Devtober.

馃搮 [Sep 30] I'm starting with a skeleton of a game with a player character, NPCs with dialogue, stubbed items, inventory, and purchasing. Have some sketched out art and a couple assets from the LPC collection on OpenGameArt (to be replaced).

馃搮 [Oct 1] Created a new Hay Maze area! Starting off with a simple 10x10 maze. Player sometimes goes into the hay bales, never to return.

馃搮 [Oct 2] Fixed some collisions, added some player character sprites/animations. PC gets stuck in the hay bales less frequently.

馃搮 [Oct 3] Added room transitions. PC can now travel between hub world and hay maze. Spawn location is off, that's the next thing to figure out.

More to come soon 馃槉

Submitted(+2)

Following, to make sure no more children get lost in hay mazes. 

(+1)

I'll have to add "hay maze rescue team" to the game's roadmap 鉀戯笍馃槃

馃搮 [Oct 4] Added classic fade out/fade in when transitioning between rooms. Moving between rooms is less jarring (and more dooring).

馃搮 [Oct 5] Worked on fixing the spawn location on transition. Moving between rooms teleports player to wrong end of map, which looks like teleportation but not the cool kind. Ran into compiler errors, discarded all changes, shelved til the next day. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you write lots of bugs.

馃搮 [Oct 6] Rewrote all code from yesterday without issue. Transitioning between rooms now plops the player at the threshold of the "door", mostly as intended. Unfortunately, only the top-left corner of the door works as a door, so we'll have to do some door-fixing in a future game jamb.

馃搮 [Oct 7] Created new corn crib/corn pit area, and new corn art.

馃搮 [Oct 8] Filled the new corn pit with corn, and made new player animations for wading around in the corn.
Next, plan on adding some kind of diving-in-the-corn mechanic for finding hidden treasure (such as corn).

Submitted(+1)

Looks pretty well 

馃搮 [Oct 9] Realized that, to get all the animations and actions in logical order, it would make the most sense to add Finite State Machines. Added some content for idling, walking, and diving.

馃搮 [Oct 10] Sketched out an animation for diving into the corn. Struggled with the FSM code.

馃搮 [Oct 11] Took a break from development to get a better hold on the design. Created a Trello board for organizing thoughts and most pertinent to-dos. New game design info now in the top post.

馃搮 [Oct 12]  Short breaks from dev work generally help me clear my head. Fixed the FSM with a couple lines of code (which is generally what happens). Next, need to add like an "ITEM GET" function after a successful dive. Be back soon!