Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Ethereal Realms - Post Mortem

A topic by Leo Lebrón created Nov 04, 2019 Views: 71
Viewing posts 1 to 1

IT IS QUITE A JOURNEY...

So, this was my first time participating this event. My friend invited everyone whoever wants to join this event. We come from another Discord server (Puerto Rico Game Devs). We made a chat group for it afterwards and we had lots of fun; like making puns and showing devlogs through tweets. We helped each other along the way. 

I joined the Devtober's Discord channel. That server blew my mind. So many talented people from around the world just to take their free time on such a wonderful idea. Best part about it? I get to say DEVTOBER is the reason why I OPENED a Twitter account. Nothing else.

SO IT BEGAN...

I decide to use my college project and turn it into a whole new game. So yeah, it is basically a re-skin (that's sounds so wrong) version. The idea I had about the new game's story goes like this. You are a new player going on an experimental ride through a machine that transported your subconscious to another world.

Yeah... It needs work (I don't even know if it's good or not).

I started smoothly with how it went, from Day 1 to Day 15. Then came the days that follow...

I STARTING WRITING INSTEAD OF MAKING THE GAME...

I don't why, but it happened. I started to write and write. Ever since I open Microsoft Word and started writing, I never stopped. I put too much free time on writing instead of making the game.  Frustrating? Yeah. Worth it? Maybe. If you know what you are doing. It's funny that I'm creating a game about building a story. Instead, I just build a story and forgot about the game.

Another struggle is never getting an artist for customizable character busts. So I am putting myself even harder. The icon set was great thought.

WHAT I LEARNED...

- Take some free time. This is not a race.

- Carefully work through your deadlines. Checking my priorities

- NEVER DRINK ANYTHING WITH SUGAR AT NIGHT. Bad idea, never again.

- Work on small projects next time.

WHEN THE GAME WILL LAUNCH?...

I don't know. I never started to figure it out when but If I polish the game well enough, I might just really use it by the end of November. Plus November is NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), with this game, I can easily make a novel out of it. Who knows?