SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What am I doing wrong?

A topic by !^ created Jul 27, 2023 Views: 327 Replies: 19
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted

stats

No one picked my day-1 project to work on https://bangcaret.itch.io/passthegamejamday1

No one picked my day-2 project to work on https://bangcaret.itch.io/passthegamejamday2

I don’t mind, it’s just that for every project that is not worked on, that is one less project to choose from to work with the next day of the jam.

The rules, apart from no communication with the previous dev, are that you cannot work on the same project twice. So the more different projects there are to choose from, the more likely there is one that you will be able to do something good with.

Is anyone going to work with my day-3 project I wonder? https://bangcaret.itch.io/passthegamejamday3

Submitted

I can only speak for myself but  I only work in Unity so I think maybe there's just more competition for the Godot exclusive devs, simply because there are less. Just a guess, I'm not even sure if that's true.

Submitted

im not sure but maybe try making a better cover image, like instead of engine get a picture from the game

also your day 3 game was not in the collection you made

Submitted

I guess those are factors, but…

In the spirit of no communications between devs, I don’t want to make screenshots of the game because I feel it “influences” the next dev, I want whoever works on the project next to discover it on their own and come up with their own unique ideas.

I didn’t include my own projects in the collections because they are projects that I can choose from for the next day, and I can’t work on my own projects again.

Anyway, I’m having fun regardless

Submitted

Having proper title, description and eye-catching cover is what you usually need in game jams to get your game noticed. For this jam, explanation of changes you made are a nice addition as well.

Definitely true that title (including engine) and cover are important. But I think including the changes is a bit too close to "communicating", as it gives the next dev an idea of the direction the game is already going in :)

Submitted(+1)

Maybe. But I check the earlier versions anyway before starting, as well as different takes on that day if there's multiple. A bit of documentation will be nice bonus also to anybody who is interested in a project's history 🤓

Submitted(+1)

It’s easy to try and interpret this exactly as the YouTube series but it has a bunch of unique variations that don’t really suit the exact same format, this is still a game jam at the heart of it all.

I think it’s important to add changelogs because we are taking strangers hard work and uploading it to our own accounts we need to be able to differentiate between who did what easily.

It doesn’t really count as communication as someone could simply open my git repository and see my changes all the same.

Communication in this jam really means don’t go and contact the previous Dev and have a conversation about the game back and forth, leaving notes is fine especially if it’s just about what you’ve changed, you don’t have to explain why you made those changes or what you didn’t have time tom

Agreed

Submitted(+1)

I wouldn't say that having some knowledge of the game is against the spirit of the jam. Telling what you wanted to do next would be.

After all, this jam differs from the video series in that we get to choose what we want to work on. Most don't have time to test many projects to decide so they pick whatever pleases them based on descriptions and images.

I agree with you

Submitted(+1)

I belive the problem may be the art. People are looking for a game that can be expanded, and when they see that you already have a half-finished game on day 1, they will probably choose a game like Breakfast Wars, or Pogo Mining (If that was the right name), or Heist. I'm just saying, if you want to make a game more appealing in these events, make sure that art comes last. This is what went wrong with Lzer Not Found, and a few others. 

Its PogoDig xD made with GDevelop glad GDevelop games getting attention. Loving this game jam series so far.

(+1)

I'm experiencing the same, no one continue any of my participation, a bit sad but it's the game ! 

Day 1  Day 2 and same Day 3

I also work on Godot 4

And if it's cause of the Art and the "non-expandable" problem I get it. But the time you release the projects is surely also in cause..

Don't know ^^

I've no time left for the Jam but I wish you the best !

Submitted

How does the time of release affect? Don't want to nitpick but even the very last submissions are in before the next jam day starts so...

More people will see the submissions that are submitted earlier

Submitted

Lots of people like to have their "ducks in a row" right when the jam starts.  ie: project already set up and ready to jump into right away.

In order to the that, you'll need to start deciding which projects to pick from before all submissions are in. You'll start to form ideas about those projects you're watching, and it's a lot harder for a last minute project to show up and interrupt this planning.

Submitted

I see, good explanation. I didn't really think about that since in my timezone, jam days start at 1:00 am so I can start working only after work, closer to the end of the day. Tbh would be fairer for everybody if submissions weren't visible until time's up. Many jams do that to discourage early submissions in hopes of more visibility.

I do watch what others are releasing that day, but I go over the rest of the games when I'm starting in order to decide what I want to do.

Submitted

Definitely that would've been a good idea! And/or having a small break window between each day

Submitted(+1)

Didn’t have as much time today, but figured I’d mess with something at least a little just to have another option for the next day

https://bangcaret.itch.io/passthegamejamday4