Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The reason art is a thing to implement last

A topic by BlindseekersOath created Jul 23, 2023 Views: 194 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

Sorry to bother you at this time, but why is art a terrible thing to implement in the beginning? Wouldn't it help influence the later devs to build upon the game? 

Submitted(+1)

I'd say getting the gameplay core loop done should be first priority, make sure it's fun in it's simplest form, then art would be fine to work on. Having a good looking game that feels clunky and unfun is often worse than a simple looking game that is fun to play. 

Also if you have amazing art at the first round, but not a lot of content, then anyone who adds content would have to either match your art, or scrap all art assets to make it look consistent.  And if they aren't as good of artists as you they are more likely to choose the second option. 

Submitted

Thank you! I suppose the later devs will be looking for gameplay to change, not art. changing the gameplay is what will make this fun, not adding more art content.

The problem is, that even gameplay changes often require new or updated art. For example, if someone wants to add some powerups or new moves for the character to your game. 

On the other hand, anything goes and art might work as an inspiration for next devs!

Submitted(+1)

You should put your focus on the mechanics for the first day because that is when the foundation of the game is laid out. Art can be a great asset to a game, but it's still secondary at best.

It's the same reason art usually starts with pencil line sketches/shapes before colors.

Submitted

Thanks! I was really I was just looking forward to creating art for a 2D platformer I'm going to do, but I suppose I should work on the gameplay first!

Submitted

Because it's a project that will take 6 days and many devs will touch on the project, I believe that in the beginning everyone can focus on what they enjoy doing the most or do best.

I'm particularly much better at developing mechanics than drawing, so I'd rather pick up a game full of art on the second day, even with broken mechanics, than a game with polished mechanics.

Submitted(+1)

I didn't really consider that, thank you! I would still like to work on the mechanics though, as I can add art to other games on later days, but this game NEEDS good gameplay!

(+1)

If you have set in stone what you are expecting your game to become, you might get disappointed as next devs likely won't follow your vision... It's a no communication challenge anyway :)

Submitted

I hadn't really done much work on the concept at the time of that post, because I was changed the entire dynamic of what I wanted to create 3 times!

(+1)

Agreed! I myself cannot draw either so working on only art is totally fine with me. As long as there is enough art to use for a bit of mechanical freedom. Creating two extremely complex art assets might be a bit of a problem but same can be said about mechanics.