Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jnoodlegames Speedgame Entry: Widget World

A topic by scotty42 created Jun 10, 2019 Views: 644 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted (3 edits)

Just waiting for the official verses...  Hoping it's 2 Corinthians 5:7 (KJV) - For we walk by faith, not by sight. Been wanting to make a game that the visually impaired can play using 3D sounds!

EDIT: The verses have arrived!

Ephesians 4:32  Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
I'm thinking something similar to Dropsy the clown...

Joel 2:7  They run like mighty men, They climb the wall like soldiers; And they each march in line, Nor do they deviate from their paths
This is begging to be some kind of tower defense or plants verses zombies mechanic...

Romans 15:4  For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope
Hmmmmmmm...  

The verses selected are:

Ephesians 4:32 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven [a]you.

Joel 2:7 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
7 They run like mighty men,
They climb the wall like soldiers;
And they each march [a]in line,
Nor do they deviate from their paths

Romans 15:4 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope

Submitted

Thanks!!!

Submitted

Phew! Really struggling to come up with something original that I'd be super excited to do here.  
Ephesians 4:32  Be kind ...     Thinking Dropsy, Fred Rogers, Bob Ross.  But I'm afraid the game-play will not be as strong and the story required too immense
Joel 2:7  ... march in line, Nor do they deviate from their paths ...  Thinking of a gadgety musical sandbox puzzle solving experience that relies on placing quirky objects in the path of marching insect "activators"

Submitted

Currently trying out the  gadgety musical sandbox puzzle solving experience that relies on placing quirky objects in the path of marching insect "activators"

Already prototyping eh! Nice!

Submitted

Trying to guess the sequence of gadgets that create the hidden tune...

Submitted

First 3 levels functional.  The next 22+ levels should go fast now.

Host

That looks pretty neat and original. Looking forward to playing it. Yeah, once you get the design and code going the level design can be a breeze.

Submitted

I've got some major engagements coming up so put in some extra effort but capped it at 10 levels.  If I find some time I'll continue to polish it.  Eventually would like to expand this idea into a bigger game with a story line and more widgets.  Plays in the browser "ok" but best experience is on Windows.

Submitted (4 edits) (+1)

I am this year making videos of me testing out others games, heres links to your Widget World videos (2 parts):
part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi80Duq4QtU
part 2:

Time for review.

First have to comment that this game made me even more nervous than before. For one problem I am nervous about my game is that I didnt put there any proper instructions, on top of that, I made it so that after level 2 rest of the levels plus "game complete" comes available, and it is not told in game itself. I tried to say it in download pages etc. But I was already afraid that wont help much, and now I am even more convinced of it after playing your game, for it took me more than a minute to figure out how to play your game, despite that I actually saw that nice video of your game that shows in submission page which actually shows how to play your game, and even despite that, and your instructions on level 1, it still took me 1 minute... Oh boy... Instructions have to be made like for 4 year olds... and my game is failing on that badly.

But back to reviewing. First of all, indeed, it did take me more than a minute to figure out how to play, so not clear enough if someone just comes to your website looking for a quick game.

Your game actually had lots of this confusion issue, like at first I didnt realise the spots were there always already where to put them. I thought maybe they part of the sequence. You can see me try figure out their right places and wondering what is happening, especially since that first level got completed by putting widget besides the actual place. then two levels further and i come to conclusion that i guess widgets are gong to be places in their places and are already above the place where they are supposed to be. until there suddenly came a widget that wasnt, which created more confusion.

Speed widget was nice addition, but it did have one problem. When the down bug speeded up, if you missed its first trip, then it was difficult to determine where did the speeding start (until i realised it always started from first, but for first couple of speed levels this brought me trouble).

Another thing that didnt help at all is that you are probably having some flatline at beginning of your samples. When in some levels the bug was very fast, it was very difficult to figure out where the sound was supposed to be, as sound might have been at spot 1, but didnt sound out until spot 2. This created great amount of frustration to me and made me simply give up couple of times.

So basically, it was very confusing and that is this games biggest flaw currently. For basically, when you got hang of it and realised that speed widget is always first and sounds might not sound at right place, after that the game became actually quite enjoyable.

You could say that I liked a lot in your game, just that thanks to confusion the play experience wasnt very good. But basically if I would now see another game with same concept, I would enjoy it since I would already know how to play it.

I liked that this was very enjoyable way of practicing ear pitch accuracy, since you were basically listening to that pitch and repeating the same sound. I can easily see how this could be good concept for kids ear pitch training game, since there are these bug characters that appeal to them, and game is basically fun. Only reason it wasnt fun right now was that it took too long to figure out how things work. Fix instructions clear, and this can be very nice little game with some educational properties. If you ever finish this game properly and I notice it, I might well play it myself even just to practice some ear pitch hearing.

One thing I was thinking first was that it missed music, but then i started thinking background music wouldnt be a good thing since it would make it more difficult to hear. However, I would like something like those rhythm run games have that basically when you collect stuff succesfully in game, you create the music yourself that is played, that you are basically collecting notes in game. That would be nice to this, but even without music this goes quite nice, since purpose is different.

What comes to bible verse usage, it nicely took the idea of marching in line from there, although otherwise was quite thin. 2 stars maybe to voting. It wasnt bad actually. In sense of having website with ear pitch training game and having bible verse shown at beginning of it, would basically be pretty much enough already. It just isnt creative, new, or ground breaking, and hence when voting it is only worth 2 stars. But I would compare it to real life situation in sense that some preacher might give 5 star sermon and convert some people to Christ, but then there might be this man of few words who says just couple of 1 star words to some certain person in certain situation, and that man gets converted as well. Other one was maybe greatly better, but end result is what matters. So while I would say this is only 2 star perhaps christian message, it happens to suit its purpose very well in before mentioned ear pitch training example, and more would be bad. Therefore, it is not bad actually, situation is just such that you cant really put more, unless you can figure out something very clever of course.

I Also liked the graphics, those widgets reminded me of Ocarina, and lights coming on worked very well. That turkey, chicken, whatever instrument was also nice humorous touch and was very suitable for the light mood of game and enhanced it even more.

All in all, I think you have a very worthy game here, just right now very confusing and fun was spoiled by the problems of learning and that sample playing wrong time problem. Those problems fixed and you have a good game with some educational properties there. Also, had some nice touch of uniqueness to it. That basically this is bit similar to rhythm games already, but still quite different, and while i dislike rhythm games mostly, I did like this one, but I think it was mainly since you had this educational touch in this game, and therefore achieved a rare achievement, which is an educational game that is actually fun.

edit: forgot to mention that after level 10 nothing happened. Not sure it was a bug or by purpose. anyway, another confusion and i had hoped something little from having completed all levels.