Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Scrappet Kaiser Princess - A 1p board game. Now playtesting!

A topic by Zoql created Mar 19, 2021 Views: 1,040 Replies: 41
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted (2 edits)

Scrappet Kaiser Princess is a solitaire board game prequel about Ultra Mint. Check out the video below on how to set up the prototype and play, or just skip to the TL;DW below for a quick overview

TL;DW

You can find the rules and prototype file here! Note that it is a prototype that may change, so some rules in the video may become outdated. I will note any changes in the rulebook, so make sure you check there for those.

The story of the game is about Mindy (@UltraMint) who is finally old enough to play Scrappet Kaiser, a popular CCG in this world. There's an annual tournament next week, and in order to become the champ, Mindy needs to build up her collection. With her birthday money and her circle of friends, she must send out her friends to run different errands, but these plans can fall apart so easily... Also, as Mindy's collection grows, so does her ego, pushing away her friends in the process. Aim for the high score and become the Scrappet Kaiser Princess!

I'm pretty sure the game design is just about complete. In terms of gameplay, I'm mostly tweaking balance and fixing wording and rule clarity. I'll be starting on the art and visual design soon. I probably won't create a print-friendly version of this (at least before the jam ends), instead focusing on making a good-looking digital version using the website I've been using (or a similar website). I imagine it won't be fun to watch Kyle print and cut all the cards either way.

Also included in the rulebook is a link to a feedback form. If you've tried the game, please fill that out as that'll help a lot in figuring out balance and rule clarity. Also, you can suggest card names for me to use for the booster cards in the store deck!

Anyway, thanks for checking this prototype out and good luck to the rest of you!

Submitted (1 edit)

Thought I'd share a little bit of progress. I'm pretty happy with the gameplay and the game design right now! I still want to get a few more opinions on it's current state, but after the last few playtests I've done, I don't have any major issues with the design. All I need to focus on is making it look pretty. So I've drawn the characters, spiffed up the components, and made templates and monster names for each card. 

My next step will be making a nicer, more organized board, then doodling 41 monsters. I'll also need to figure out the visual design of the Event cards (I know I want it to look like a smartphone), along with how to make the Special cards pop. If I have time after all that, I'm going to get some art on those photo cards and maybe even see if I can make the kid tokens double-sided so it's easy to tell at a glance who's been unfriended and cannot be used. I'll also have to proofread the rulebook and make a quicker, more final how-to-play video as well... Gotta get moving!

Submitted

Hi,  I really like your game. I was wondering if you'd like to team up and make a digital version that automates a lot of the rules. That way even people without the time to invest in learning all the rules can still have a go at your game.

I've slapped together a quick prototype using some art from one of the versions you shared.
https://mega.nz/file/lw1AHThQ#kJUuMLn7SERyUDdxenlEN9tUuyxxw7IpDZmcwnNc7dM
It's rough around the edges and some rules are missing, especially Mindy's ego abilities, but I think it gets the idea across.

No worries if you're not interested and want to keep it strictly as a card game. A lot of this was me doing an experiment in making user interfaces.
Sorry if I've overstepped by doing this with your game.

-MeBID

Submitted (1 edit)

Whoa! This is awesome!! Yeah, I've been a little concerned about players getting some rules wrong, and a digital version would definitely make it more accessible

You're welcome to continue making this version, but since there's only a week left, I was already planning to just finish the art of the board game version. Although I guess the only thing I'd be worried about with your version (based on the prototype) is the visual look of the game board and having to adjust the map and binder for that... And maybe a title screen... Hmm...

I guess the main concerns I have is how long would it take to put together, and how much I would need to do in addition to what I'm already working on... It's really cool though! I'd love to see it to completion, but I don't know how much help I would be with the digital version... But feel free to message me and I'll do my best to get back to you. If I finish the pico version by this weekend, I can work on extra art for you on the digital version

EDIT:

I don't know if this is more convenient but I put all of the art assets in this link if you'd like to use them and I'll update them as I finish them

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11oSzKbdDjVaqpXAN43jXy41zRNkkAemb/view?usp=shari...

Submitted

Well, I'll let you focus on getting the board game version where you want that and then if there are a few days left maybe we can hash something out.

I don't think it would take an excessive amount of work to turn what's already here into a proper version. I've got most of the functionality in place already, even if some of it is not hooked up yet.

Besides clarifying some of the rules, the big thing I think it needs is some more informative screens to guide the player through what's happening and some more information on the screens that do exist. Right now, you still need to know the board game rules to know what you're supposed to be doing on each screen and it's hard to keep track of the bucks and ego you're gaining/losing.

I don't think there will be too much extra art. All of the character and card art can come straight from the board game, so it's really just backgrounds and layout design that needs to be done. I think if we had one nice background, maybe with the Scrappet Kaiser logo on a coloured background, we could draw the game elements over the top of that for most screens and it would still look nice.

If you wanted to do some screen design, the resolution I'm working in is 1280x720. So every screen is that size, with the possibility of opening smaller windows on top. You could draw it as an image in any drawing software and I could easily add that into the application.

Submitted

Alright cool! I'll definitely try to get everything finished up by this weekend so I can help you out. But if you want rules clarifications on anything, ask away! That way I can clean that up in the rulebook too. 

I did notice a few things in the prototype you made, but since it was quickly put together I assume you're either already aware or they were bugs... One was Jessa leaving the round I got rid of my starter card (Penny ended up staying with me the entire time), and the other was ties against Dues counts as a loss (it's supposed to be a win)

Submitted

Yeah, the dueling system isn't done very well right now. It definitely needs some more work.

It's weird about Jessa, sorting out that final event was the very last thing I worked on before uploading it. So I may have broken it right at the end.

As for rule clarifications, the things I have written down are

1. Is how the playground works in the software version right now correct? Where kids can trade what they brought for any number of cards so long as the strength total of the new cards never exceeds the strength total of the cards + Bucks they came with?

2. Once a card is in the pocket area, is that locked in? Say spiff got cards from the playground, but then you gained ego during the duel phase and he left. Do you get to keep that card or return it to the playground?

3. The thing I'm most confused about is betting ego.

My assumption is that you would keep it if you win/tie, but lose it if you lose. But then I'm not sure how the effects change things up.

Say I've gone to the alley. I have 20 ego total and have bet 10 on the duel.

My assumptions are:

Carl card is pulled, "After this duel, lose 15 Ego.
    If I win/tie: Keep the 10 ego bet and then lose 15. Final ego: 5.
    If I lose: I lose the 10 ego I bet, plus a further 15 ego. Final ego: 0.

Lumby But Giga card is pulled, "Lose 1 Buck for each Ego you bet. If you cannot pay the full amount, you cannot gain this card."
    If I win/tie: Keep the 10 ego I bet. Final ego: 20
    If I lose: Lose the 10 ego I bet. Final ego: 10    

Both Of Griswald's Knees card is pulled, "Lose the Ego you bet, then reduce the amount of bet Ego by half."
    If I win/tie: Lose bet ego no matter what. Final ego: 10.
    If I lose: Lose bet ego no matter what. Final ego: 10.

Baby Filkiss card is pulled, "Immediately gain the amount of Ego you bet."
    If I win/tie: I keep the 10 ego I bet, and then get another 15 from the effect. Final Ego 35.
    If I lose: I lose the 10 ego I bet, but gain 15. Final Ego: 25.    

Dirk Canyon, Esquire card is pulled, "If you win this duel without betting Ego, gain 10 Ego. Otherwise, lose the Ego you bet."
    If I win/tie: Ego was bet, so lose it. Final ego: 10
    If I lose: Lose the 10 ego I bet. Final ego: 10

Dog Bower's Dad card is pulled, "Reduce the amount of Ego bet by 10. If you tie or lose this duel, lose the card you dueled with."
    If I win/tie: Bet ego is reduced to 0, the 10 remains in my total ego. Final ego: 20
    If I lose: Bet ego is reduced to 0, the 10 remains in my total ego. No ego to lose. Final ego: 2

Submitted (1 edit)

1. Kids can only trade for a single card. In my playtests, I noticed that there's little reason to trade for multiple cards, as you generally only want the bigger cards. Additionally, having each kid trade for a single card makes it so Spiff isn't always the only kid going to the playground. The only kid who can get multiple cards is Jessa, as her ability allows her to steal a card without trading.

2. Yes, Pocketed cards are locked in. You get to keep that card since Spiff is technically not holding it. The only way to lose cards and bucks through unfriending should be during the First Subs event.

3. Usually, nothing happens to bet ego. The Special card effects will mention what happens to it, but otherwise you just get it back/no actual ego is lost. Mechanically, each location outside the alley allows you to easily maintain your Ego so you can keep your friends. Going to the alley makes it very risky as you could either lose a few friends or lose a bunch of Ego when you're not ready for it. So for your examples:

- Carl card is pulled, "After this duel, lose 15 Ego. "
     Win or lose, you lose 15 Ego. Final Ego: 5

- Lumby But Giga card is pulled, "Lose 1 Buck for each Ego you bet. If you cannot pay the full amount, you cannot gain this card."
     Win or lose, your Ego is not affected. This card only affects Bucks, so you lose 10 Bucks or all of them if you have less than 10. Final Ego: 20

- Both Of Griswald's Knees card is pulled, "Lose the Ego you bet, then reduce the amount of bet Ego by half."
     Win or lose, lose the Ego you bet (10 Ego in this case). Final Ego: 10

- Baby Filkiss card is pulled, "Immediately gain the amount of Ego you bet."
     Win or lose, gain the Ego you bet (10 Ego in this case).  Final Ego: 30

- Dirk Canyon, Esquire card is pulled, "If you win this duel without betting Ego, gain 10 Ego. Otherwise, lose the Ego you bet."
    If you win/tie: Ego was bet, so you lose it. Final ego: 10
    If I lose: No Ego is lost. Final ego: 20 WAIT! I was wrong on that! "Otherwise" refers to any case where you didn't win without betting Ego. So if you lose, whether you bet Ego or not, you still did not win. Final Ego: 10

- Dog Bower's Dad card is pulled, "Reduce the amount of Ego bet by 10. If you tie or lose this duel, lose the card you dueled with."
     Win or lose, your Ego is not affected. This card only affects what happens to the card Mindy is holding. Final Ego: 20

I keep forgetting to mention what happens to bet ego in the rulebook. This has come up a few times in playtests with friends and I just never put it in my notes. Thanks! I'll update the rulebook now

Submitted (5 edits)

(Btw MeBID, I made a correction to the Dirk Canyon Ego interaction, you actually do lose Ego when you lose against him)

Current progress:

I've whittled away quite a bit of art today! It looks like I really just might finish all the art I wanted to do before the weekend. I have 16 more scrappets to draw, and my wife has been helping out with the coloring, so that's great. I've finished all the graphic design for the event cards, and I just need to add some art to two of those cards. All the card backs are complete, with the special cards having a cool ancient tablet look that also doubles as a sort of reference card. 

So here's currently my to-do list, roughly in this order:
- 16 2 more scrappets to draw; with about 11 19? additional that need to be colored Scrappet drawing is complete! Only 8 left to color!
- 2 "photos" need to be drawn for the Toy Sale and Stray Cat Distraction cards
- The board! Map area needs to be colored and I need to draw boxes for the Binder, Event, Pocket, and Set-up areas. I can't figure out how the Event or Pocket areas would fit visually with the "hand-drawn map on a table next to the card binder and stuff" look I was envisioning, so I'm just going to draw boxes
- Photos of Mindy with each friend to go on the back of the Kid Ability cards. I've got sketches/ideas of what Link's, Penny's, and Mindy's photos will look like, but I still need to figure out Spiff and Jessa Mindy and Jessa photos are what's left!

After that I'll help MeBID with anything else they need, which would include:
- Drawing a screen design(s?) (which I could probably do while working on the game board)
Unfriended/Sad versions of each kid. The website I'm using doesn't allow you to flip tokens, and I don't want to use a card template for the characters as that would cause some weird stacking interactions when they're at the playground, so they're probably more useful in a digital version
- Updating/Cleaning the rulebook As far as I can tell, the rulebook is pretty good. I suppose I could add some pictures and examples to make it clearer... 

The board game version is complete!!!

Anyway, here are a few of my favorite cards for those of you who don't feel like loading up the prototype

Submitted

The board game version is complete!

Not sure if I should make a game page for it or wait for the digital version from MeBID, but if you guys want to check it out, you can still check out everything at the prototype rules here!

Even though things are complete, there's still a little bit left to do, mostly concerning the digital version. So here's my to-do list:

- Design some screens for the digital version. MeBID, if you have any suggestions for what kinds of information I would need to consider (like how many smaller windows, and for what) that might help. But I think that's what I'll try to put together next.
- Continue to examine/playtest this final version to adjust any details I may have missed.
- Make a how-to-play video and double-check the rulebook.
- Make a title screen (both for the digital version and also for a nice image for the game page)
- Consider making an actual physical version. Now this definitely won't get done by the time the game jam ends, but it's more for my personal enjoyment. The only things I would need to redo is the board and how to track Ego and Bet Ego.

Submitted

Hey again. Nice work on the art!

Here's what I've got at this stage: https://mega.nz/file/8pkSGbyT#0BmweUVelTKsaBSrBRLKscANB0gYtcTGvb-SnO4gz0I

I think almost every rule is implemented now. There's just one I only just picked up on about Jessa having to steal her 2 cards at the same time and a couple I need clarification on.
    -Can Jessa sequence break with Bossy Bestie?
        -Could she move from playground back to the lemonade stand?
        -Or must she do another action at the playground or alley?
    -Does Sour Broccoli (Lemon Slime) remove 5 ego before or after you've received ego from your strongest card?

It doesn't have the updated art. I think something went wrong with the link you posted as it only points to one image instead of a whole folder.

To help with debugging, I've added a cheat mode that lets you choose everything that happens instead of having it be random. This should let you simulate any scenario as well as run a perfect game.
-You can reset at any time with F5
-And toggle cheatmode on/off mid-game with F12

The current screens I have in the game are
-Title screen
-Starter card reveal screen
-Screen to pick kids actions for the day
-(window) popup to show binder, playground, Ego and Bucks from the planning screen
-Screen to give kids the items they need for the day
-Screen to reveal the days event.
-Screen to show a new location has started
-Screen to show the lemonade stand in action
-Screen to show the store in action
-Screen to show the top two cards of the store deck
-Screen to crack open the booster packs
-Screen to replace a binder card with a booster card
-Screen to select who trades next
-Screen to show the playground in action
-Screen for when a kid is unable to trade their cards
-Screen to remind the card Mindy brought to the alley, plus total strength
-Screen to show the card DSD will duel with
-Screen to show the battle results
-Screen to add pocket cards to binder
-Screen to show the day is over
-Screen for endings
-Screen to show change in ego
-(window)Screen to show a friend leaving

You can find them all in the game, but with the minimal amount of info needed.
If you run through a few games and think about what you'd like to know about the state of the board on each screen, you're on, that's probably the best way to figure out what information you'd like to show.

Some things I've been thinking of are
-Lemonade stand screen shows how many Bucks are left in the buck pile so players know there are only 50 total
-A way to show which kids were affected by an event reveal. I have a system in place for basic animations (like the bucks flying on the screen in the lemonade stand scene) that I thought we could use something like that to show who's been affected.
-At the end of the day maybe have a summary of changes that have happened. Gained/lost Bucks/Ego, how many cards left the binder, how many were added, who left. Things like that.

Submitted (3 edits)

Okay, this link should direct to the entire art folder.
EDIT:
I put all the fonts I used in the link. I also added full art of each kid in their unfriended mode, just in case.
While I was putting the font list together, I realized I used different fonts for Jessa's handwriting between the photos and the Starter card, so I updated the Starter card back.

As for the rule clarifications:
- Yes, Jessa can sequence break and go back to the store or lemonade stand.
- Sour Broccoli removes 5 Ego after gaining Ego from your strongest card.

And I'll definitely run through the game and get back to you on what I think! Not sure if I'll be able to properly test tonight (I live in Japan so it's pretty late right now). Before I try it out though, one issue I've dealt with the most when I've playtested this with friends is knowing what cards are in Dark Schippie's deck. Dueling them completely blind makes it hard to know how much Ego to bet or whether it's even safe to duel them. So being able to see what they could throw out during planning would be helpful.

In addition to any art other stuff you might need, if you'd like to know what fonts I've used, I can let you know and maybe drop them into the art link (found all of them on dafont, I think)

Submitted

Welp I decided to test it anyway. So during a quick game, here are my thoughts:

- I think it's the white font on blue bg, but I didn't notice that the Binder showed my Ego and Bucks until midgame. Is it possible to show these numbers always? Like in a corner? If that's too much work that's fine
- Definitely add a way to view what cards are in DSD's deck. Or even letting us look at the card back (which is a deck reference, albeit a somewhat cryptic one) during the planning phase would be fine
- Not a big deal, but I kind of wish the playground cards showed up in the playground instead of in the binder tab so it's easier to see what's changed. I almost missed out on a strong card because I didn't see what was in the playground until I was ready to start the day
- I assume the next day screen would show Mindy and her current friends? Bc I would love that. I haven't made full Smug Mindy/Ultra Mint art other than her face, but I think I'll do that so she can show up during the late game. I'll put that along with full sad kid art in the art folder tomorrow.
- Speaking of which, is it possible to have a Home space that all the tokens start on, or would that be too much trouble?
- Also I like the idea of losing a friend and seeing their token still there (with the sad art) but not being able to interact with them. Would that be possible?
- Bug: I lost my Starter card and I did not lose Jessa during the final round. (I had Rotten Puddle and it was in the Playground for a couple rounds. On Day 6 I sent her there with nothing to pick it up, but Teenagers ruined that. Yet during the final day she was still my friend and gained me a buck.)
- There should be something at the end explaining how the score was added up because I don't trust it lol. I got 72 pts this first game and if I remember correctly I had 50 Ego, and at least 40pts in my binder (Lumby, Carl, and Dog Bower's Dad were there with a couple 7s). That doesn't include any bucks I had or Jessa still being there (even though she shouldn't have been)
- Will you be adding the endings from the rulebook as well?
- Also will you be adding the full Event card art for each event? The new art should add a lot of fun flavor, and also has references to three other Bruised Ego characters.

One final suggestion for before I go to bed: The Binder is supposed to be a gift for Mindy's birthday, and is given to her at the start of the game. So at the beginning of the game, before opening the starter card, is it possible to show the binder with the 4 friend photos in it? Then we follow that up with the photo of Mindy receiving her card? If the binder part requires some more art on my part, I can easily do that I think

Submitted (2 edits)

Played a couple rounds on cheat mode, mostly to see the screens for designing. But I do have a few concerns:

- I lost a friend when I wasn't supposed to. Only the first time you hit a specific Ego level will you lose a friend. I had dropped below 25 due to Carl's effect, then went back up to 28. At 25 it told me to lose a friend again, which shouldn't happen. When you have two friends left, the next point you would lose friends would be at 35 ego.
- I haven't tested it yet, but I noticed it in the earlier prototype. You can lose multiple friends in a single round as well. Since the 35 and 40 points are so close, it's common (in my playtests) to lose those last two friends in the same round.
- Mindy should still be able to trade at the Playground
- Just reiterating how the final score is calculated: The amount of Ego you have + the number of Bucks you have + 10 per each remaining friend + the total strength of all cards in your Binder. I did a max point, Jessa-only run and only scored 105 points when I should have scored 171 points. I'm not sure what about the score is missing but something isn't adding up. A max point, all friends remain run (theoretically bc I messed up) should give 114 points BEFORE binder scoring, and my score with the cards I had should have been 145 (I lost a friend so I actually had... 150?), whereas I got only 98 points.

Also, not entirely related to the digital version, but I edited the rulebook a bit. I reduced the FAQ and added all the clarifications concerning specific cards in the card list area. Some things that haven't come up yet I have clarified there, like stuff about Eggbert and Rotten Puddle.

Anyway, here's a quick screen design for planning screen 1 (action selection screen):

The right third of the screen would generally remain the same for both planning screens (I'll edit this with more screens as I finish them), and nothing interactive should be in that area (have the tokens start in the Home space). Whenever your cursor goes over a particular card or object, the relevant card or information should appear in the area where Mindy's ability currently is. This way, players know exactly where to look each time they want information. 

The binder is a quick mockup, but if the sizes are good for you, we can just use that

Planning screen 2:

I forgot to add the Day on the first screen and a Ready button but they should roughly in the same spot as here.
I mentioned on the first screen that nothing interactable should be on the right side, but on this screen, players should be able to drag cards from the binder to the kid they want. I considered doing the same with Bucks, but that would have been a little cumbersome. 

Submitted

Here's a newer build with some issues fixed and some new graphics for the first few screens.

https://mega.nz/file/V8UXzQYS#LIeS-vb-51SIXcPaU817NGKeaVPpr2ct-Efm1OzZ3YA
I'm still working on the alignment for the kid inventories, but let me know if the stuff that's closer to the design images are incorrect.
Those two screens are the most complicated, so hopefully I'll be faster on the future ones.

Some bugfixes
- Jessa should be able to go anywhere with Bossy Bestie now.
- Jessa should unfriend properly if you lose your starter.
- The unfriending of the others should work as expected now.
- Score should be added up accurately (you were only getting 1 point per card instead of the card's strength).

Plus
- All card art added.
- Event cards added.
- New fonts.

As far as I can see, Mindy can still trade at the playground. The only two scenarios where it won't happen are:
- Automatically if she doesn't have the strength + bucks + ego to trade for any of the cards.
- The player presses cancel when she doesn't have enough strength + bucks and they don't want to spend ego.

After seeing the event cards, I wonder if maybe you'd like to do a two stage approach to showing some of them.
Looking at Intense Dodgeball as an example, the texts imply Spliff is at the playground, but it's possible the player didn't send him there on the day that the event is drawn or that he's even unfriended at that point.
I was thinking in the reveal screen that currently exists, instead of showing the entire card, just show the blue part that explains the event. And then before the scene the event affects, if it's effect actually applies, reveal the entire card.

Submitted

This is pretty good! I'll need to make screens for the parts for the playground and whatnot but it's pretty cool!

- I forgot to add a DSD deck reference when I designed planning screen 2. That could be added by just showing the reference when hovering over "Alley"
- I agree about the Events. It's fine in the board game because you know they're just random cards, but in the digital version it should try to reflect the game state a little better. This suggestion would be more work and is a little unnecessary, but it would be fun it the texts animated... Anyway, did you need me to send a separate image for each Event notification?
- I'm currently working on a nice title screen and an actual logo (the Scrappet Kaiser logo is for the card game not the board game lol), but after that I'll try to whip up a design for trading and pocket-to-binder stuff... If I have time after making a tutorial video, I'll see if I can make a nicer duel screen as well

I have to admit, I was fairly skeptical about this digital version being done before the deadline, but this is actually coming along very nicely! I'm impressed! You've got a lot done in such a short time. I still have a few concerns though... I do like how the automated rules make the game move much faster in the digital version, and it's definitely more accessible too, but I put a lot of work in the presentation of the board game version. In the digital version, you miss out on little touches like physically removing photos from the binder (this could be done digitally, but I think it would slow down the pace of the game), or being able to put Griswald together, or flipping over Mindy's phone for the next notification... 

I guess what I'm saying is, when I submit this game to the jam, I'll be putting files for both versions in there, suggesting that the board game version has more character while the digital version is more accessible. I hope Kyle plays both versions, but if he were to choose just one, I would nudge him toward the board game and try to help him with the rules from the chat since I plan on being there

Submitted (1 edit)

This took longer than I expected but I love it. Here is the title screen/box art

If my scrappet doodles didn't make it clear enough though, I'm really bad at drawing shoes

EDIT:

A few things I noticed while playing the digital version: The description for the Store and Playground mention "coins" instead of "bucks."

Anyway, here are some screen designs:

Playground trading:

And the screen for moving cards from Pocket to Binder:

Submitted

That's awesome!

For the events, if you have all the parts as individual elements then I could probably whip up a quick animation for the texts.

Submitted

Alright, I made an Event folder in the link and will be dropping off the parts in there.

By the way, I started writing up the submission page for this game, and while I suppose it doesn't matter too much, I'm not sure what to classify this project as. It's a board game, but it's not yet a physical game, and also has a digital version... Also I'm pretty new to this and I want to send you this key to the game page so you can be a co-creator and can add your own screenshots/update the game files without having to go through me, but I don't see a way to send a private message here... Um... I think I'll also drop that in the event folder

Submitted (1 edit)

Sweet as. I've grabbed the key and linked up if you want to remove it to avoid others doing the same.
Edit: I'm not sure it lets me do any editing/uploading though.

Submitted (1 edit)

Here's a fresh build of the digital version ahead of uploading. I've done a lot with the graphics and I think fixed up all the rule mistakes.
https://mega.nz/file/shFxiQjA#ns5ThLPAFnUsmfUrLMdVJl6KAFj1516igoekgJ0slXA
I made the other screens look closer to those last designs you made by adding the band of colour. Some still have my janky layouts, but I think there's a consistent aesthetic emerging. I've got to say, with your new title screen, the digital version looks really good.
 I've added in more information about  how the final score was calculated and a new screen that follows it with the appropriate rank and ending from the rulebook.

I think at this stage, I think it's probably safe enough to upload. Unless you find something glaringly wrong.
For the last day, I'd like to add some sound effects as a final touch of polish and then I'll upload it the itch.io page as long as you're happy with it.

Edit: I didn't get around to adding in the animated text messages, sorry. I may still attempt, but I don't know if I can do it properly with the time left.

Submitted (2 edits)

I'll boot up the game and do a quick runthrough, focusing on giving suggestions that would hopefully be quick to fix:

- When I made the planning screens, I forgot to design an area that would give instructions on how to proceed. Maybe it's not entirely necessary as it won't be too hard to figure out what to do, but for a first-time player it would help a lot to say something like "Plan for a location for each kid to go to today" or something. You could put that in the card area when the cursor is not hovering over a card or location or kid

- For the duel screen, you should either make the blue band taller or the card art smaller, as the white name text gets pushed off the bottom and onto the white background, making it impossible to read. Or I guess make the text black

- I love the new round summary screen! I added a recolored smug Mindy and sad Jessa into the digital folder. If you could have the game swap their token images to those once the other three kids leave, I think it will add a little more weight to Mindy's decisions in the later rounds (also so you can see the art more than once).

- That's okay on the animated text messages btw, what you've done is great!

- A card reference for what's in DSD's deck would still be helpful during planning phase 2. I think you could take the DSD duel image from the game board and put it at the far end of the box next to "Alley", so when you hover your cursor over them, you easily understand what the reference card is for... This one might be too much to do with the time left, so it's fine if you don't get to it.

And that should be it for me as far as I can tell. I wish I could explore it a bit more to catch any bugs, but I think you've ironed it out quite a bit! Thanks! This is great!

Submitted

I think I've included all of these now. I uploaded it to directly itch.io instead of mega this time, but I can still change it if there are still problems.
Let me know if you meant something else for any of them.
And also let me know if the sound effects are too cheesy.

Submitted

I did a test run and Penny ended up sticking around even though my Ego went past 40 at the very end of the last round. Not sure if it's a bug related to Jessa already being gone or if the limit is set to 45 instead of 40.

Also, in my second run, the actual Mindy and Jessa tokens didn't switch to the smug/sad versions when the other three leave, but the full art during the round summary changed.

As for the sound effects, it was a little surprising hearing the drum/pop sound effect for each click and placement but it's not... bad? Maybe lower the volume on that if you can? As I play more I get used to it though, so the actual sound effect is fine, it's either loud or my volume was up a little high when I booted it up... Other than that though, the other sound effects are great! I wonder if a sound effect could be added when a friend leaves. Maybe that rip sound to suggest why the photo is no longer in the binder?

Submitted (1 edit)

I did another run and noticed that the New Video Game event did not give a card. It should give just 1 card.

Edit:

It has been posted! We did it! It feels good. Thanks so much for the help MeBID! It all turned out great!

After a little time to rest and celebrate, I'm going to jump back in and work on some print and play files, but for now I can only say "wooooo"

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Nice work on everything! I hope people enjoy your game.

I'm just uploading a new digital version. I turned down the volume on those button sound effects and added in the tearing sound effect on the unfriend notification. Great call on that, it really adds an extra impact to losing a friend.

I finally figured out the issue you were having with unfriending. The code to randomly select someone assumed that Jessa was still there, so if she had already left, you'd always keep one extra if they weren't gone before then.
I've just managed to fix that, so hopefully that's the majority of the rules bug free in the digital version now.

Edit: Oh, and the token graphics for smug Mindy, sad Jessa should show when the other 3 are gone now.

Submitted

Saw Kyle play the game first on stream! Thanks for the help, MeBID!

Since we are allowed to update submissions until the end of judgement, if it's okay and if you have time, here are a few things that could be added to the digital version:

- Maybe a little longer intro that could explain exactly what your goal is. There is a lot implied by the binder reveal and Mindy's photo, but explaining that there's only a week until the tournament is something that's only known if you've read the rulebook. Plus knowing that you're trying to get a high score would help new players know what they need to do. You could simply have the first paragraph of the rulebook fade in before you're given the binder along with Objective paragraph from the rulebook to show how their score is calculated

- Credits! I know it's on the game page, but we probably should give ourselves proper credit in the game as well. I should update the rulebook with that too

- Kyle went hard on buying cards and got his binder shredded lol. Maybe mention in the Store instructions during the planning phase that new cards will replace old cards in the binder

- Maybe after you complete the game, a little card gallery could unlock so people could see all the cards in the game?

- I wonder if I should make a more easily readable reference card for DSD's deck...

Submitted

I added the intro text, made the instructions a bit more clear and added the card gallery.

Submitted (1 edit)

I added a new digital reference card in the Digital folder in the file. Also adds some lore that was in the rulebook (well, more like implied, but confirmed if you read all the endings)

Btw I was watching the vod and while I do like how Kyle got an A Rank (as it's probably the most interesting ending to get on a first run imo), I don't think he was supposed to get 128pts. He should have only had 91pts and gotten a C Rank because he (hilariously) spent all his money on cards, but the game still added the original 38 bucks to his score.

I also played again and somehow didn't lose Jessa even though I trashed my Starter card early on. Spiff was still my friend at that point so I wonder if that was part of it...

Oh and one more thing! I guess I never noticed until Kyle bought a ton of cards (I mostly used Mindy and Jessa to cycle to get what I wanted), but I intended newly-bought store cards to act differently. They're meant to go into your pocket (since "Gain a card" always means it goes into your pocket) and there's supposed to be a little empty pocket phase before moving on to the playground. Looking at the rules now, I suppose it's a little vague about that part and the FAQ example sounds a little like how it works in the digital version. But I meant that FAQ example to mean that every store-bought card must have been inside the binder before moving on... That said, I really do like the way it is in the digital version, and it makes opening the booster packs more fun, I think. So you keep it as it is, I'm going to simply redefine what it means to "buy a card" in the rulebook to be more in line with the digital version. Instead of "lose bucks to gain a card" it will be something like "lose bucks to put the top card of the deck into your binder, replacing an old card of your choosing." Hm... I guess I need to change the wording on Jessa's ability also to "Steal" instead of "Gain" and define "Stealing" somewhere...

Also, as I'm working on the physical version, I came up with cool little achievements and challenges to put in the end of the rulebook. If you're interested, you could try adding them in. Here's what I've got:

ACHIEVEMENTS: 
- Canon Ending: Become the Scrappet Kaiser Champion with Max Ego without losing Jessa as a friend.
- Canon Extreme: Become the Champion with Max Ego, and with Dog Bower and Lumby But Giga in your Binder.
- Keep Her Humble: Become the Champion without losing any friends.
- Legendary Griswald Incarnate: Face Carl with all four Griswald cards. (face carl means get at least 100pts)
- I Have Nothing Left To Teach You: Gain all of Dark Schippie Dues’ cards.
- This One’s For Jessa: Win a duel with your Starter card.

If you think of any other cool little challenges that could also apply to the physical game, let me know!

Anyway, if I have time the only other thing I would want to do with the digital version (outside of checking for bugs) is update the kid's art a little. Aside from Penny, I never colored their shoes because I never planned to show that part of them, so I've been thinking of doing that. This is very low priority so I might not get to it before the deadline, just letting you know

Submitted

Whoops. I've uploaded a new version with some fixes.
-Bucks should be removed properly now.
-Jessa should notice the starter is gone now.
-Extra problem with Eggbert not getting 9 strength should be fixed.
-Achievements added.
The only achievement I'm not sure on is if [I Have Nothing Left To Teach You] requires the cards to all be in your binder or if it's fine to just empty Dues' deck.

Submitted

It would not require all of DSD's cards. You just need to gain his entire deck. (This is because Baby Filkiss is fairly weak card that I don't expect anyone to keep since there's no extra point bonus in doing so)

Submitted

I've updated Jessa's and Link's ability cards. Not a big change, just wording. Jessa's Store ability now says "Steal" and Link's now says "Buy" but they work the same as before. Not entirely necessary to update the digital version yet, as I might have time to color the kid's shoes later

Print version is almost done! I just have to create a new rulebook and make a US Letter version (which I hope won't take too long). I also plan on spending most of the day cutting out a copy so I'll post pics later. This print version is taking a lot more work than I expected

Submitted

Hello! It's been a while, but I've been slowly cleaning up and adjusting the game. I've also added new cards! I'm about to upload the new rulebooks and print-and-play files. If you want to update the digital version, I added the new cards in a new folder in the link. In addition, I've adjusted some of the rules and have a few suggestions for the digital version:

- There are 5 new Event cards. Remove "Surprise Pizza Party" from the game
- 1 new Starter card
- The other cards just have clearer or adjusted wording
- 1 new achievement:
          Platinum Crown: Become the Champion with each of the 6 Starter cards.
                    Basically a player must play the game at least 6 times to get this. To make this easier, I suggesting being able to unlock the ability to choose the Starter card after completing the game once.

I suggest you refer to the rulebook for new clarifications on the cards and extra FAQs, but here are the major changes at least:

- The Store works a little differently. Bought or stolen cards are placed into the Binder after each kid action. So if Mindy (3 bucks), Jessa, and Link (4 bucks) are at the Store, instead of being able to grab all 5 cards and then placing them in the Binder all at the same time, the player decides which kid will buy or steal first, with Mindy able to spend ego to peek in between any of those actions.
- This also means that the "age" of cards, or whatever is the oldest card(s), will reset for each action.
- Side note, but I did a single run of the digital version and got the BOGO event. The Bogo event is meant to happen immediately before anything else. So you get a bunch of cards in your binder, and then when you get to buy cards again you might have to replace those cards. The new wording should make that a little more clear.
- If Mindy and Jessa go to the Playground, Jessa will be able to gain a card for free, correct? Well Jessa can also bring resources for trade and can also trade for a card, allowing her to gain 2 cards at the Playground (if Mindy is present).

Alright, I'll go post up those files now. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. And it's fine to take your time on the update, or if you're too busy to work on it anytime soon, that's fine too.

Thanks again for your help!

Submitted

Well. I uploaded files for the A4 print version, but it might take a more time to readjust and maybe redraw stuff for the Letter version... Letter size is so small, these cards are going to be pretty snug

Anyways, I'm going to take a short break from doing that. Time to print what I've got and see how it all looks! (And eat and stuff I guess.) Will post pics when I finish!

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Don't have a table so it's on the floor; hope you guys don't mind. 

Ready to begin! Happy birthday, Mindy!

Let's take a quick group photo so we can cherish the beginning of our adventure together! (Please ignore what might be coming on the Ego track.) I definitely recommend using cardstock for these standees

It's day 1 and Waffuru is messing up my plans already

After a week, this is what the crew is looking like. Unfortunately, at 138 points, I was just shy of getting the S Rank and becoming the new Scrappet Kaiser Champion.

Final group shot. Haters gonna hate.

If you were wondering what a complete Griswald looks like, this is it. Don't worry I threw away that hair after I took this picture

Anyway, that's what the printed version looks like! I still need to work on the US Letter version, as I imagine most of you use that size. The board and standees will have to be a bit smaller, and I would need to readjust the Ego track to have three rows instead of two, but yeah. It shouldn't take long. I just have IRL things to take care of, so it might be a few days before I get that out...

Actually I found the time lol. Print-and-play files for both sizes have been released on the game page!

Submitted(+2)

Wow that is some amazing printing. Where's the kickstarter

Submitted(+1)

Oh No My Ego is Rising and My Friends are Leaving
AKA I Made a Board Game in a Month
A Bruised Egos Game Jam Post-Mortem

I've been feeling the post-jam blues lately so I decided to make a big post about my experiences and thoughts and lessons learned and whatnot. It's pretty long so I understand if you don't read it all. I kind of just need to get it all out so I can start thinking about what's next

INSPIRATIONS
I love board games. When I discovered that Kyle started another game jam, and I saw Ultra Mint as one of the characters, I knew I wanted to make a board game about her. A major inspiration was from a few Level 99 Games board games that I really like: Millennium Blades and Argent: the Consortium. Millennium Blades is a game in which you and your friends play as collectable card game players playing a game called Millennium Blades. Over the course of the game , you buy cards from the store, trade cards with other players, sell off sets of cards, build a hand of cards for the tournament phase, and (of course) compete in a tournament. You can clearly see how this game influenced the way Scrappet Kaiser Princess worked, from the booster pack look of the back of the cards to the simplicity of the dueling system. The only thing I wish I was able to replicate in my game was the climax of each round: the tournament phase, in which you use the deck you've spent an entire round constructing. I don't know if SKP could have had that without adding too much complexity to design around (in a month at least), so I opted instead for making a story-focused climax based on a high score. In Argent: the Consortium, you play as professors at a magical university, sending loyal students to gather resources or information about a secret consortium of voters so you can weasel your way into being voted in as the next Chancellor. From this game, I borrowed the thematic idea of sending out loyal workers to do your dirty work. Mechanically, I also used the idea of each type of worker having a special ability, and how workers don't gain resources immediately. If you enjoyed Scrappet Kaiser Princess, I highly recommend checking those two games out because they're pretty great (although they're a lot more complex and are not solo games). Actually I recommend checking out all of Level 99 Games' stuff because they try to capture that small niche of board gamers that also like video games and anime.

STORY & GAME DESIGN
I always knew that this origin story would be about Ultra Mint's first time getting into Scrappet Kaiser and losing her friends because of it. The original pitch for her actually says that she considers her card collection as her most precious treasure, so I thought it would be very interesting if I could give players the choice as to whether she treasures her collection because of her strong cards or because of her friends. I personally think high-stake stories involving the end of the world is fairly overdone in gaming, so I really wanted this story to be extremely personal and contained, with the main conflict being mostly internal and emotional.

Because I had decided to make a board game, I knew I couldn't rely too much on dialogue to tell the story and I had to bake it into the gameplay. That's why the only actual written parts of the story are the Intro and Endings in the rulebook. I didn't want to clutter up cards with too much reading. Yeah I know the texts on the Event cards exist but I don't think reading those is necessary to understand the Event, and they only add a little flavor to what's already implied by the effect. Originally the Event deck was going to be a set sequence, similar to the event deck in  something like Pandemic Legacy, so I could completely control the way the story is told. But because I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to present the game at the time, and to make set up a lot easier, I opted to only have one guaranteed event card. A lot of design choices were made to be simpler actually, because I knew the audience would mostly skew toward video gamers instead of board gamers, and I feel like the game is definitely more successful because of that.

Another successful aspect is the story. Even in playtesting with friends who had no idea about the Bruised Egos concept, they always get into the mindset of Ultra Mint and go hard on boosting Ego to replace their friends with more cards. (Although maybe it's a cultural thing, because I teach English in Japan, and the students I've showed it to generally try to keep their friends instead.) But yeah, the general game arc tells the story of how this group of friends falls apart: In the beginning of the week, Mindy hangs out with her friends, working with them to earn money or sneak cards from the store. Best friends Mindy and Jessa are inseparable. But at some point mid-game (if the player decides it to be), Mindy looks at her binder and thinks "I want more." She decides to abandon her friends to play Scrappet Kaiser in the alley with some weirdo. Her friends are still stuck working each day, while Mindy plays card games and brags about how good she's getting? Well of course they would get tired of it and leave. And on the final day, Jessa confronts her. The Starter card isn't important to Jessa just because it was a gift, but also because it was one of the few things she actually bought (because she tends to steal a lot for Mindy). Whether Ultra Mint loses her closest friend is up to the player, but because she has Dog Bower in Bruised Egos, it's likely that Jessa is still her best friend there (although I suppose that's not official canon lol)

You all probably already know this, but playtesting is very valuable. While the general structure of the game remained the same as the original concept, certain character abilities and the store definitely wouldn't have been the way they are if I hadn't gotten a bunch of friends to try it out. In early prototypes, I had Mindy decide which photo she would remove from the binder. In playtesting, I found that Spiff was almost always the first to go, with Penny being the last. So I made it random, and I buffed Spiff's ability. In another prototype, a popular strategy was to send Link to the store and buy a bunch of cards, while everyone else worked the Lemonade Stand. I had to adjust how the store worked (sending cards straight to the binder) AND buff Mindy and Jessa's ability to make it more enticing for them to visit the other locations. Some criticisms I couldn't really do much about (at least without changing quite a few things), like Penny having no reason to leave the Lemonade Stand. But that's fine. Penny likes baking anyway.

ART
It's not as prominent in the Digital version of the game, but the style of the board game is supposed to be hand-drawn. Like the main board is supposed to look like a hand-drawn map that Mindy drew, which is supposed to really make you feel like Mindy planning where each of her friends will go each day. I also opted for the slightly sloppy hand-drawn style because I'm not that great at drawing imo, although I've learned quite a bit this year, especially in the week and a half of drawing I did for the game. (Annoying promotional side note, but as part of one of my goals to get in the habit of creating art, I've been doing this weekly photoshop puppet show adaptation of the Pokemon manga if you want to check it out.) But yeah, the art for the title screen was like the last thing I drew for this game, and it's the art that I'm definitely the most proud of. I had asked my wife to draw the photos because she is a much better artist than me, but because she was so busy with work, I ended up doing all the drawing and only having her color the scrappets I drew. I'm glad I ended up doing all the drawing though, because the consistent art style ties everything together nicely, and I feel like I've leveled up my drawing skills!

It wasn't until I saw this Nani stuff pop up in other games, but I didn't know Kyle had created his own little collectable card game. I mean, I have the vod sitting in my YouTube Watch Later playlist, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. If I had known that, I still probably would have created my own little card game franchise, because then I would try to cram some of those mechanics into the system, which would have clogged up the game design, probably. I wonder though... Anyway, the monster design was really fun! The main design goal for these monsters was to avoid memes if possible: partly because I haven't kept up with the streams, but mostly because I wanted the cards to be funny on their own. There was a period of time last year when I decided to try doodling a few monster designs a day. Some of those monsters I named for the game and they appear as is (Dainty Shocks, Shy Bean, and Aiyai Captain are a few of these). Some were changed to look tougher or creepier to fit the strength of the card they were on (the original Slendelien was a lot more friendly, Fuzzy Tuber didn't have tentacles, and Darrip looked more sad and had more of a Foster's Home vibe). At one point, I asked any friends who playtested it for name ideas and I only got three: Dark Justice, Beelzebud (bee-el-ze-bud), and Funky Monkey Card (which I changed to Funkeemon Keycard to make it funnier). But for most of the rest, I spent half of a day thinking up names. I've had the Special and Starter cards named from the beginning, and since I had Griswald's Knees as a Special card, I decided to go all Exodia on it and add the rest of Griswald into the Store deck. I don't have too much to say about how I came up with most of the other names aside from finding names that were fun to say but were also weird (Cough Noir, Baby Filkiss, Froark). Near the end as I ran out of creative steam, I did the JJBA thing and looked through my music folder for interesting song titles to make names. "Godzuki" is a Sufjan Stevens song (skit is a more accurate word), "Idiot Boksen" and "He Who Flattened [Your Flame Is Gettin' Torched]" are Danielson songs, El Bañana was inspired by the Gorillaz song "El Mañana," similarly Vee in 20 Years is a letter change of Moses Sumney's "Me in 20 Years," and Black Hole Guppy is a Charly Bliss reference (the song "Black Hole" is from their album "Guppy"). ... I guess I didn't have to list all of those, but maybe people would have found that interesting. Oh and to the one guy I saw in chat that noticed: Yes, Zengou is wearing a Scooby Doo collar.

But yeah! It makes me really happy to see all the positive reactions to the scrappets I drew. Seeing how so many people were drawn to different scrappets feels really good. If you must know my favorite one though, it's Froark.

GAME JAM & RATINGS
This was my first game jam and I had a blast. It was great seeing so much variety in the different games. I was a little surprised at how so few games showed the reason why their chosen character was high ego or low ego, as that was the most important aspect to me when making the game. I'm not sure how much I should say about other games, and I wasn't able to get all of them to run (I went by Kyle's stream for rating those ones) , but if I had to choose a personal top 5, this would be mine:

1. Dungeon of Alexandria - Really fun game with really fun vibes. A well-deserved win.
2. Izil's Adventures: Blackfeather's Legacy - It's so much fun to explore in this game. I think the only issue that would need addressing is having a way to fix a stuck boat. It'd be fine if it's inconvenient, like maybe having to raise the anchor and have Izil physically push the boat, but yeah. I had a lot of fun with this, although I never beat it (one of the treasures didn't show up for me)
3. Executive Cobra: Origins - I love how different each route is, and the story is pretty well written, and each line is loosely connected. I think Judith is my favorite route with CJ as a close 2nd. The first puzzle in Max's route was kind of rough (I avoided watching this one on stream because I wanted to read it for myself). I just wish a battle system wasn't required because that's the weakest part imo. 
4. Scratch's Inferno - This game actually grew on me quite a bit. I had a few growing pains with the controls, like I kept walking into enemies while I was attacking them, but once I got used to it, the gameplay is very tight and the game, while a little hard, doesn't feel unfair.
5. I Saved the World but Then My Girlfriend Got Turned Into a Sword - The vibe and story for this one was really good. I love how there's actual reasoning for Bibi's sword form being tied to Haver's ego. I just wish they had more time to polish up the battle system.

The long ones I couldn't get around to playing before rating closed, so I imagine Minerva's Lost or Isle Izil or Mint's Ultra Adventure could be personal top 5 material. I'll try again sometime.

Speaking of Kyle's stream, I am super grateful to MeBID for creating the digital version. I'm not sure Kyle would have had the patience to read the rulebook on stream (especially because we went first), and it would have been a real pain to explain the rules in chat. With the digital version, Kyle was able to jump in, and we were able to have that great moment when he realizes that he must lose his friends to collect more cards. I wish we had like a week more so I could have made art for each ending or something, maybe added more detail to each menu, but I really like how it turned out in the end. I'm also grateful that, through programming the digital version, MeBID essentially helped clean up the rulebook. I was able to iron out any inconsistencies and clarify any rules questions thanks to them.

LOOKING BACK
There are definitely things I would probably have done differently. For starters, I would probably have started on art earlier. There were a few days after I felt satisfied with the actual gameplay and balance that I took a day or two off from working on the game. Then again, that little break was kind of important because I probably would have burned out, as I was for sure in the process of doing as I was working on the art. As for the actual game design, I wish I could have designed a more climatic ending. Using each card in your Binder for the big tournament instead of going off a point system would have been really cool. If I had teamed up for a digital version a lot earlier, I probably would have figured out a way because I wouldn't have to be tied to keeping the game as simple as possible. I kind of wish I playtested the digital version more before the deadline. I probably would have added clearer instructions about the goal and story of the game, and maybe caught that buck bug that caused Kyle to get an A Rank instead of a C Rank. However, I'm very happy and proud with how everything ended up. I uh, I still watch Kyle's playthrough and read the chat reactions because it gives me life. 

If I were to choose another character to make a game about, like if Ultra Mint wasn't an option, I probably would have gone with Alexandria or Executive Cobra. I think those two would have pretty good storylines for a potential board game. Alexandria's would be a sort of push-your-luck game about getting as much treasure as possible until she dies and becomes a skeleton at the end. Executive Cobra's would be an engine-building game all about gathering resources and businesses and making money and raising Ego. Iunno, I still really like what I did with Ultra Mint so it's hard to imagine going with someone else.

LOOKING FORWARD
So what is next for Scrappet Kaiser Princess? I did actually come up with a few new cards, so it's possible that I make a little expansion down the line. For example, a new Starter card could force Mindy to lose bucks at the end of each round. Thematically it would be a rare and fairly powerful card for a Starter, but it would also be really old so the kids would have to spend money to tape it together or else it would be lost. Another Event card I had in mind would be to force any cards bought in the store to go directly to the playground. The flavor being that those cards were stolen from the kids at the Store by the Nestor twins and given away at the playground... I'd have to think a bit more about more card ideas before I release a little mini expansion though. Maybe I could come up with alternate character abilities or something... Hm... I'll think about it.

A few friends have asked me if I would put this on Kickstarter. I'm not sure yet. Sure I really like it and I think it's a pretty fun game, but printing and shipping an actual board game might be too much of a hassle, especially because I live in a small apartment in Japan. The game theme is also a little niche, and it's a solitaire board game as well, so the audience for this game might not be large enough for a mass printing. So yeah, I am currently undecided about putting this up on Kickstarter and getting it printed.  I suppose I could put it up on a print-by-demand site though, but I'll have to do some research.

As for other projects, I've got nothing at the moment. I do have a few ideas though. I have an idea for Scrappet Kaiser Princess 2, which would still play similarly to the original. Instead of friends, you summon the scrappets in your binder to gather resources for you. And each one would have their own ability, and there would probably be a lot more locations, and the goal would mainly be to keep your Ego up. But I don't really have a story or emotional hook for that, and I think that aspect should be almost as good as the original at least. I've been thinking about the Bruised Egos fighting game though. There's this 1v1 card game called Exceed (also by Level 99 Games; yes they're my favorite board game company) that simulates a 2d fighting video game. I've been considering making all the Bruised Egos characters in that system, probably combining aspects of (almost) everyone's games... We'll see though

Well that's it! If you stuck around this long, thanks for reading all of this. I very much appreciate you enjoying this little project! Hopefully, we'll do this again next time. See ya!

Submitted

I released Scrappet Kaiser Princess v1.1! Check out the devlog I wrote here.

Basically, I added 5 new Event cards (and removed 1), added 1 new Starter card, adjusted the effects and Strength of 2 Starter cards, and the wording of 7 other cards. I plan on posting a full gameplay video of the print and play version sometime so you can see it in action, but other than that I'm calling this game finished!

Submitted

And here is the gameplay video! I did minimal editing so it's kinda long and I might have left in a mistake, but you get to listen to my thought process as I plan out my turns. Enjoy!