Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Self Reflections

A topic by JHawk Studios created Mar 13, 2022 Views: 55
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted(+1)

It has been a lot of fun to partake in this Jam event, and over the course of making, then later getting feedback on our projects, it's safe to say this has been a massive learning experience for most of us. In fact, after the jam ended I decided to go back into my game and completely re-do the entire movement system to fix a small few problems and allow for expansion in the future.

Of course hindsight is always 20-20, which is what makes events like these so special- The publication of small, often unfinished projects allows to gain the critical feedback that finished projects would receive, while being in the early stages of development. this helps get a concept started without having to worry about the optimizations and the expandability, for if it turns out to be a good idea,  you can use the feedback to then iron it out and future proof your code.

Before submitting to this jam, it had been just about a year since I had last published a project (coincidentally the last one was from the Brackey's 2021.1 jam). I wasn't originally even planning to partake this time around as well, but when I saw the jam and the theme, I was hit by a sudden burst of motivation to get something done on my couple of days off. This jam I had gone for a much simpler approach and a much smaller scope for my project than I have in the past. This time, making a small puzzle game with just four possible in-game inputs (up, down, right, left), and making the focus on the level design rather than complex mechanics, controls, level design, sound, and aesthetics. Of course I added in those other bits, but they were bare-boned and simpler than I usually go for.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I have thoroughly enjoyed this experience and have learned more than I expected from such a small game. 

If you would like to share your experience of this jam, or just a lil' something that you learned, I would love to hear about it  :D

I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did!