SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

REAL - Summary

A topic by Quantum Bit Games created Feb 26, 2022 Views: 209 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted (1 edit)

Hello everyone!

I was thinking a lot about should I do this, but I've decided to share my progress and what I have learned with you. Today I submitted my first game created especially for the BGJ 2022.1. It's called REAL.  I have to tell you that the development process wasn't easy. It was very stressful, because I had a lot of ideas, but only a few days to make them come true. That's the reason why I had to cut 50% of the previously planned content from the game. But don't get me wrong. Participating in this game jam and creating REAL was still a great experience. I enjoyed it. A few major things that I've learned when participating in this game jam:

• Tilemaps - everything related to the tilemaps and tilesets.
  • 2D Character Controller - this is the aspect that can be painful to many devs. I'm sure there are still many things to improve in my 2d character controller, but it certainly is not as hopeless as it was before.
  • Pixel Art - This is probably my greatest achievement during this game jam. I've always been concerned that I cannot create pixel art. I'm aware that pixel art created for REAL is not perfect, but at least I've 'unlocked' myself and started doing pixel art. 
  • Unity's 'new' Input System - Finally I learned how to use the 'new' Input System in Unity. Although after a hard struggle my game is still using the 'old' system, but at least I understand the new one now.
  • Level Design - It's not perfect, but I thought it would be worse.

That's all. How about you? Tell me about your progress and what you've learned while participating in this game jam.

Submitted(+1)

I learned a lot about tweening while trying to implement the dash mechanic for my game

Submitted

Sounds cool!

Submitted

Wow  you really remind me of myself back then! Great job learning those things!