Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Feedback on using a game jam as a development method for paid work

A topic by farris_games created Oct 08, 2023 Views: 132 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3

Hi everyone - new here. thank you for checking out my question. Been working on a game for 20 years, and now finally have some time and money to fund a little bit of progress (still self-funded, but its progress). Right now I am in the "find the fun" stage of prototyping, and an using Unity and working with freelancers on one-off scopes. 

One thing I am considering is putting together a few developers and pay them to do like a 36 hour game jam (over a few sessions). Would give them specific goals and specs, etc.. Then would use that with my story team to react / get some ideas/ maybe use some of it as a starting point for next sprint in prototype work. 

Since you guys just did a game jam, I would like your opinions on the Pros and Cons of this idea, and really just any advice you have about this as a possible way to make some progress. 

Thank you in advance for your time and insights. 

Submitted

I'm very new to game dev, so take my words with about a kilogram of salt, but it might be better (and cheaper) if you joined a bunch of game jams with the general theme of your game in mind. Or have a few short jams just between your team.

If you do a jam like this you would have to be very clear about your intentions to take inspiration from the jam's submissions for your own game. And there would also be the hassle of finding developers who have the time for it, which I'd imagine would be difficult if you don't already have a reasonably large media presence (granted you might, and this could just be a throwaway account, I really have no idea).

Also, I'm curious about your game. Do you have any screenshots or prototypes that you're able to share?

Thank you for replying / your thoughts. I have been trying to make some simple but clear specs and have made some progress. Re finding the devs with time- so far I have been able to get some help from freelancers on fiverr for specific things (ie fix this piece of code or this level) and now have 2 guys that will test out the game jam concept as part of a gig. Re screenshots/prototypes to share- not yet.. Right now we have been focused on smooth mechanics/physics in a bare bones model. Hoping to maybe have some things to share coming out of the 1st game jam approach.