Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

New Prize Category Added: "Solarpunk DIY"

A topic by sadpress created May 16, 2021 Views: 283 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Host

It would be amazing to see some submissions that involved MAKING STUFF, either within the ttrpg fiction or maybe even actually making stuff.  For example, games / adventures / zines / educational activities about permaculture, gardening and irrigation, cooking, medicine and healthcare, architecture, clothing, renewable energy, sinking wells, collecting rain water, creating shelter, sanitation, dealing with extreme weather, ecological reconstruction, building weird vehicles or infrastructure, all kinds of strange contraptions.

Possible sources of inspiration: 

Some relevant subreddits:

One interesting thing to explore would be a kind of "hard science fiction" approach, i.e. making it as accurate and detailed as possible. Imagine a post-apocalyptic adventure where the players go on fetch-quests, scavenging the necessary parts to jury-rig something to improve the community's wellbeing. 

Or how about a game where everybody scoots around in clean energy mostly-wooden battlemechs made from locally sourced materials, and mossy permaculture equivalents of the war rig from Mad Max? 

How else could you gamify / storify all the knowledge that is out there in DIY / open source communities?

I like the “hard science fiction” idea. For a long time I have been envisioning a strategy game where you would build a civilization using the Global Village Construction Set. The game could basically be a simulated trainer for building the set, with detailed steps and material requirements. Definitely a bigger project than I can take on.