Play gameExpelledRL's itch.io page
Ranked from 3 ratings. Score is adjusted from raw score by the median number of ratings per game in the jam.
Judge feedback is anonymous and shown in a random order.
Some assorted thoughts on this great entry:
- The interface is clean and very easy to pick up, with very few keys to worry about and a nice succinct tutorial screen.
- The central mechanic of possessing people is great. I think playing as various different monsters is kind of every rogueliker's dream come true, and it's done in a good way here by giving various different interesting abilities to the different monsters.
- One cool property of the possession gameplay is that it avoids the whole hit point regen discussion: it's okay that your hit points never recover, because you can just dump this body for a new one anyway. Taking that a step further, it can even be a good idea to let your intended future body beat you within an inch of your life, so that you can kill your old self easily after switching. Cool stuff.
- It's cool that enemies start to run away when they're losing a fight. It can end up being a bit of busywork to chase them down to the end of a hallway, but then again, you don't have to kill them (or often fight them in the first place), since there are no experience points or loot from enemies.
- The "level feelings" are a nice touch.
- The possession cooldown is a bit half-baked in that you can usually just wiggle back and forth in place to get rid of it, no matter how long it is. I think either it needs be based on something besides the passage of time, or there needs to be something putting pressure on the player to not waste time.
- I'd often "hear combat in the distance" and would often encounter enemies who were missing a lot of hit points, which gave a cool feeling of the dungeon being alive around me.
- It's fun to have to do stuff like possess a fire elemental to traverse a river of lava.
- I think the balance could use a little work in that most of the game doesn't exactly feel like I'm being challenged or having to use much strategy; it's a pretty straightforward continuous series of jumping from one enemy to another until I find the stairs (and usually end up dying because of going on autopilot and not paying attention at the wrong moment).
Wonderful little game! I love the overall feel of it. The possession mechanic is super fun. Very few bugs (spells don't take time to cast, and don't cost any mana) which made the game a bit easy, but I had a wonderful time playing it.
Excellent, well done! The game feels very polished and balanced. The aesthetics are very clear especially when you can possess again. I definitely would have missed out if I hadn't play this fun game. We've seen this mechanic in other roguelikes but it's still a neat, innovative twist on the usual mechanics. I was completely surprised by the amount of content considering it's a jam, especially the different abilities of some of the monsters. This is definitely a roguelike and I hope you advertise it so more people can play it.
Successful or Incomplete?
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.