Play gameVisit Bones's game page
Ranked from 2 ratings. Score is adjusted from raw score by the median number of ratings per game in the jam.
Judge feedback is anonymous and shown in a random order.
The theme and story are great. The idea for a different kind of combat is interesting, but extremely difficult to understand and execute.
What I Loved
- The combat mechanics were so very close to being amazing. Having played Dwarf fortress adventure mode and loving the idea of fine-grained combat control, but hating actually doing it, I had high hopes that this game brought something new to the table in that area. For the most part, it did! The only thing it lacked was sufficient feedback, visually or otherwise, about what was happening and when. The bone-jiggle effect was nice early on, but became harder to follow as you gained more and more complicated bone-interactions
- The overall look and feel of the game was phenomenal for what I'd expect in a 7drl. The water moving mechanics and wrap-around gave the world a life of it's own, with a river of bones carrying it's passengers endlessly through the map
- The UI and interactions among the different bone components did a highly satisfactory job of examining what bones you had equipped and what they were doing for each other.
What I WOULD have Loved
- Just a little better feedback, or more verbose logs on what was happening in combat. Not sure if the UI was just buggy at times, but I would occasionally be attacking at range and not understand why and it was nearly impossible to tell who was hostile to me and when. When including non-hostile creatures that can become hostile, it's very important to show the player when the change happens.
- That's pretty much it. Otherwise a very well designed and thought-out game!
Successful or Incomplete?
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.