SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

In A Jam

A topic by ProfessorLizzard created Feb 28, 2018 Views: 111
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted

Good hello everyone! 

I really should have made this thread earlier, but I was scared of doing so, for no particular reason, just anxiety in general. Probably because this was the first game jam I have ever joined, and also because this was the first serious Unity project that I had the intention to finish. And I have finished it, just a few hours before deadline...

I have learned a lot, while working on this project, and while I had to cut corners in some cases, I think I have made an okay job, however, several features had to be left out, due to time constraint, and I would have done some of them differently.

• Use the animation and timeline system: right now, characters just slide, or just appear. I originally intended to make a walk cycle, but I ran out of time
  • Music and noises: I *would* have had time for this, but it was midnight early and MacLeod's site was down.
  • Code structure: the code for the dialogue engine worked nicely, but adding extra things to it was a bit of a hassle, and was getting bloated. It would have required some serious code rearranging, and due to how the editor works, I would have lost several prefab settings. Turns out, they clear their contents even if you simple rename a variable...
  • Custom Editors: I should have spent some time to creature custom editors for the game, allowing me to add a script's subtypes of my choice with a simple button press. Plus, I could have displayed and edited Dictionaries using them
  • Menus: a simple opening menu, and an "Are you sure you want to quit?" would have been good...

However, given the allotted time and my little experience with Unity, I am happy about the final product. (I really hope, the inventory system is sufficient for the requirement).

All in all, this was a fun experience, and I am looking forward to trying out everybody else's games too! Hopefully next time I'll join the discussions before the jam is over ;)