It's more general feeling from a quick first try, sorry but I'll only list the negative, I gave up before to understand fully how play the game, don't forget that I'm quite fan of Steam Marines 1, so sure SM2 interest me. And don't take it personally, I'm that sort of guy who love swim in negativity. :-P
- At first play attempt, I failed understand fully how play the game.
- It's not Steam Punk, please don't repeat the error, it's rather hard to explain/justify when I try explain how good is SM1.
- The music doesn't fit and changes between genres that don't fit, sometimes it was like evoking western, sometimes like some club music, sometimes it was like a torn electronic music. I'm not a video game music expert, so I could have a bizarre opinion on that. It also made me realize that I have no clue if there's any music genre that could evoke Steam Punk genre.
- The UI is a lot too huge, I can understand the plan of a future port to mobile, but it's too much.
- Galaxy map, you'll need choose between:
- it's just a map allowing select locations/missions, then it's more no ships movements but only locations to choose, each location need quite more information with tooltip
- or it's space travel but then with a full interesting gameplay, not just move ships around some locations and then to a location.
- It seems player can customize only one character the commander, but game starts with 4 marines, and the three others aren't introduced. It's weird and it feels like a regression from SM1.
- Make commander a special marines that can't die, I don't know, this has a lot of consequences.
- Only three active skills isn't this a regression when compared to SM1?
- The game isn't fully playable with mouse.
- Move or guard? I'm skeptical about this gameplay approach.
- I had a marines killed/hurt and had no clue why, my only bet is it's was through a wall.
- There's doors, I failed find how open them.
- I failed find how shoot, select body seems never work.
- The sounds are a nice/important addition, I felt a few was fine, but overall it was needing more work. I'll feedback this more in detail through another play attempt.
- Failed find how turn,
- The game needs a lot more tooltips.
- No portraits bars for a party/squad tactical game? I don't remember any single good game with such combats not using portraits, and it's not working well.
- Failed find how open map
- The trick of camera movements for most aliens movements, is generating a too long alien phase. SM2 should use a more global hint, for aliens out of vision field of marines.
I remember a positive, there's more than one, but they have been overwhelmed by negative feelings. So the positive I remind is the ability to generate marine name, that's cool. :-)
Ok job done, constructive criticism, some negative, and some positive. :-D This feedback is very superficial because it's only a quick attempt to play the game and not insist much.