Recent community posts
how long before the next update, more or less ?
Not sure if i should push myself to play the current version more, or wait a couple updates to have a more "playable" experience and write about it.
I did the tutorial and won my first game, plus a few more games to learn the gameplay.
Excellent concept, i hope you dig it and go further. It reminds me some part Faeria, some part Niche Game, and both are great references to me.
Also thanks for Linux support, no issue so far.
After about one hour, here is my first impression. I think it's important to give fresh feedback, and later more advanced ones, because many players don't bother "trying" more than 1-2 hours before giving up on a game. So...
- I don't like
+ I like
+ Action/Move points, it's way better than the overused 2 Actions system, like the modern xcom do. Still i prefer a Time Unit like Xenonauts or OpenXCom or Enemy, but it's fine.
+ No Initiative, i can play my Marines in the order i want, like in the 3 excellent games quoted before.
+ I can interupt my Marine, play another one, and come back to the previous Marine.
+ Steam Punk in Space, even if i didn't see yet much steam, it's nice
+ Turn Based Tactic, my favorite genre i guess
+ Each class brings something, like Leader opening the door gives +1 action
+- Not sure if i like the line of sight being a cirle instead of a cone, but without the option to turn angle by angle, or walk backward and strafe like in Space Hulk, i guess it's fine.
- Caracter creation is ugly and confusing. Why should i click on a button to cycle Steam Marines class one by one, without being sure what is what ?
= Instead, have tabs with all class visible at once, and a short description of them
- The next screen i see, there are 2 Steam Marines, no mission, and the loadout options seem to do nothing. And i don't have money to recruit. So, i think i start with 2 SM. But i don't, i start with 4 SM, that is my main + 3 randoms. The game is randomized, alright, with permadeath, and i have almost no choice to start with.
= Give me full control of my starting team, and show them all on that screen
= Give me a starter mission (maybe a tutorial one)
- Perma Death. I hate permadeath, but in some very specific roguelike.
= Give option to play with "disabled SM". Medic during mission could rez dead SM without penalty, and after a mission, all dead SM are alive, but with a random -1 to a stat.
- The Galaxy Map is very dull, unattractive, ugly and useless. Why should i wait for my ship to navigate from place to place, when there is nothing worth to look at ? I just "waste" several seconds waiting for my ship to reach its destination. Also the map is very very very ugly.
= I would rather click on a spot to directly go there.
- Only one save ? What if i like to try something else, without loosing my current game ?
= Have several save slots
- The GUI needs rework, a lot.
- Tooltips for skills often show under the icons (see screenshot :
- With killcams, the screen is easily blocked by walls, tooltips, and other stuff on the way.
- At first the GUI was really huge, i had to find the right checkbox in the option to keep it under control... It was like this :
- targetting tooltips are... not well done, at all. Super confusing. Who is my target ? Sure i can guess, but it needs a big rework here, IMO.
= improve the GUI !
= When the cursor is hovering on a skill icon, the text should show the special effect of the weapon, instead of having to look at the target tooltip.
= All icons should be unique based on the weapon and effect, like the Grenade Launcher, etc
= MMB should be used for panning the view, not switching between "angle" or "orbit" cameras
= All SM portraits should always be visible on screen, something like this :
On this picture, large dots under portraits show the remaining, and small dots show already spent, so i always know my maximum potential. And of course, i just copy/paste to have 6 portraits, but they would be one per caracter...
- The Doors show (LMB) to open them, but i have to click RMB instead.
- Knockback from shotgun, when hitting a target with an obstacle behind, could be better
= If there is an obstacle behind, the target should not "strafe", but take +1 DMG
= If the obstacle is an enemy, the enemy should take +1 DMG too
Hello, just installed SM2 from itch app, and there is no executable, so error as soon as i click Play.
Also, looking into the game's folder, i don't see any way to manually launch the game.
I'm on Linux Mint, derivated from Ubuntu. all Ubuntu games work on Mint, as far as i can tell, since 2015.
Good reading, i'm looking forward to the release. I'm happy to be one of the early supporters, you did a great job so far with answering questions, support (including Linux) and updates.
Did you do something about the map(s) ? Last time i played (1 or 2 versions ago), there were too many layers of maps before reaching the actual "game" part. World, Region, Local, Mission... for no real good reason, but multiply the nodes before being able to actually "play".
In xcom, Xenonauts, UFO:AI... there is one global map, with several missions to pick, and then you reach the battle map. And still, few would argue about the lack of depth of these games.
About the Easy Mod, i'm glad you think about it. I really dislike the perma-death in any game, there is a kind of fashion these days where you must be "roguelite" somehow... and it's often limited to permadeath and random generation of the world. I call this more "messy" and "lack of personnality". Being able to simply retry a failed mission, without any drawbak (locked acgievement, less loot...) would be great.
Very curious to see the final result. The game is already nice, but also lacking something to catch player's attention, i think, and this exploration stuff seems to be a great way to cover it.
I've won my first game vs MediumTurtleIA, it was really nice to play. No tech issue it seems, playing on Linux Mint. Thanks for the support, and i wish you succeed, it's a fun game already.
Trying build 42, i've found out a few weird things.
- i need to move the camera a little before i can see the path to move my soldiers. If i don't move the camera around, i see the GUI, but i can't move and i can't see the path my soldier will take while moving.
- in tutorial, i can't access the option menu before a few steps from the tutorial. If i want to change ie the sound settings, i can't before several minutes ingame, and it could be frustrating.
- from the main screen, the Option menu fits the screen, but while in pre-mission screen, the same menu is huge and i can't see the bottom of it (image : http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1526978337.jpg
- in tutorial, the arrow showing where to click is not aligned with my GUI (image : http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1526978360.jpg
Linux Mint 18.3 64bits Xfce
Intel Core i5 4590 (4 x 3,3 GHz)
MSI GeForce GTX 960 @ 2 Go
Drivers NVIDIA 384
8 Go DIMM DDR3 PC12800
Screen 16/9 24" LED 1920x1080
Sounds good !
About Covers, i'd love to see organic covers (everything is cover based on angles to the target, like the excellent game "Enemy"), but i guess DoE is not built with this in mind.
And also a change with initiative, so i could select the one i want to move, in what order, without having to "delay" or anything.
It was very nice to read your long article "Looking at 6 months of early access sales on itch.io for Nowhere Prophet", thanks for sharing.
I have a question, if you could give some numbers related to OS (Win, Mac, Linux...), played time, if players play after purchase and stop, or if they play since 6 months daily, and stuff like that, too.
The select the first mission, i have my Home, and 3 objectives. The GUI shows on the left side the 3 objectives, and i can click on that, or on the spot on the map, to select the objective i want to complete. But, my Home spot is also an objective, and has no GUI line for it.
The first mission/tutorial is still not doable for me. I cannot move the camera while the girl chat is open, so i must first close the chat, then move the camera to see the loot and move. I can play, but without the tutorial open.
Then, i still think there are too many layers to the maps (global, region, local...). At least one should be removed. Selecting the region, alright. Selecting the objective should be a simple screen without map, like 3 cards or documents or something. Then the next map would be already enough, but then i still have to move around a local map. It's way too much.
Also, i would really want to move my soldiers in any order i want, as i already have to deal with a sad "2 Actions" system, instead of a "Time Units" system. It's too limited, IMO. That way, i would move my soldiers as i like, then hit a "End Turn" button.
The general experience is nice, and i enjoyed so far following the progress on your game. Sure, I'd have loved a Time Units system (like Xenonauts or Enemy), organic covers (the hidden gem Enemy, from Tom Johnson, does that really well with its voxel world), more options in characters builds (deeper inventory managment, parallale base building...) but well... Maybe later.
I'm Linux Mint with XFCE, and Alt+F11 switch fullscreen in applications. Try to find your shortcut for that.
It's a Unity bug, happening quite often on Linux games, and the easiest way to fix it is to go windowed, move the window a little (unstick it from your taskbar), and go fullscreen again.
If it's not working, then it may be related to something else, but i'm pretty sure it's this Unity bug again, from what you said.