After making a bunch of messy notes (that probably need to be in something like Trello rather in a PNG, but that’s an issue for another day!), we decided the first thing we need to figure out is a system for the track itself. We need sections of track that can be changed by using items, we need to know what section a player is on and what sections are ahead of them (since we’d prefer items be used on a section somewhat ahead of the person using so they have to deal with it too, plus it’d be nice to be able to avoid altering track in front of a player before they are able to react).
[Wren] I made my first test with terrible wonky “graphics” while Krall made a handful of basic parts for the track. It obviously looked a lot nicer right away, but for me at least it felt like I’d accomplished much more seeing it more polished.
[click on screenshots for GIFs!]
Next we need to add items to pick up, effects of those items on track sections, and logic to apply those effects!
[Wren] The game can now apply a powerup to a section of track when a player picks one up (we probably don’t want this to be instantly applied, but this works for the moment), and detects when the player hits a section with the powerup on it. Also there’s splitscreen!
I discovered a thing I did yesterday to fix a problem wasn’t doing what I meant it to and shouldn’t actually have been fixing the problem, even though it was? It is now doing what I intended to do. And luckily still fixes the problem.
[Krall] Day2’s artful bounty consists of:
- A kinda blurry car! I need to use less colours for highlights, it seems. The aesthetic I’m going for is slightly sci-fi, but not so sci-fi that they’re hovercars. These things need wheels if they’re going to slip on oil slicks! I’m basing the general design off of high performance racing cars and land speed record-holding vehicles like Thrust2, Thunderbolt, and Blue Bird. I’ll probably try out more varied/less realistic designs like trucks and clown cars too, just to mix things up.
- Some better-looking track pieces! The idea I have for the track is that it’s made of a series of display screens - when a power-up is activated or permanently applied to a segment of the track the display screen would play an animation to indicate this. These assets are closer to what I was envisioning than the placeholders I made on day 1, but they’re not the finished product. They were good practice though!
[Wren] Tomorrow, power-ups!
[Krall] Tomorrow, BEES!