Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics


A member registered May 11, 2018

Recent community posts

(1 edit)

Hi Marc,

Yes, I have definitely been using indexed colour. Gimp shows it in the image info. I have modified and resaved the other assets so I know it's not Gimp's export problem.. maybe it is.

This is what I created using indexed colours in Gimp (256 color pallette, the top-left pixel is transparent colour), and it doesn't have transparency once in Tilengine:

I didn't realize it but C#/OpenTK is much easier to use than I thought. So I will probably go with that now. Other than sprite batching, there's not much I wanted but OpenTK seems good enough.

I also found a bug with Tilengine, using the Super Mario sample - there is sometimes randomly a viewport within a viewport, a little smaller, where the actual game runs. All I did was create new maps with my new tilesheet, then load them in as a foreground and background.

Good luck with Tilengine :) It's a very neat little engine.

(2 edits)

I also can't get transparency to work. The documentation says nothing about this?

I tried setting the top left pixel to the transparent colour, and I tried setting it in Tiled (done via the xml), can't figure out what I have to do though.

Edit: I looked at the source code, I also tried using pngcs to attempt to generate a .act file, but it's way too complex. Would be nice if I could just manually set the transparency colour and have this reflected through the C# API too.

This is a great engine, I tried some test images with the mario example though and I got a black screen.

It seems on Gimp, it can palletize images with 8 colours - these are fine in Tiled - then Tilengine won't use them. So a workaround on Gimp seems to be - use a large jpeg with lots of colours, dragdrop your pixel art onto it, put it in the top left, merge down, then change the image mode, then save.

I just checked and resaving/resizing the image with Gimp afterwards works.

Amazing engine, thank you.