I think you could get around randomness by always hititing the first (or leftmost) card. Or do the pick. Could be different mechanics: Attacker picks vs defender picks.
Recent community posts
Will you be making an analog version of Cantrip?
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/contests/solo-duo-challenge#Description is up.
I'm sending your game to its sponsor right now. I would love to hear a podcast episode where you talk about the design.
Thank you. If there are multiple cards were this is the case, a special text to indicate would be nice. Similiar to "causes Burning".
"Limited effect" .. there's a better name but that's the idea
when you can play a card is inconsistent - I can play shared suffering when i have more cards than my opponent for no effect. I think I cannot play the spiked shields card when I have zero shields
How do the gems work? I was able to click and spend a gem to reveal one of the gem slots when I had 4 gems (the fourth gem was bouncing). Cannot seem to do this with fewer gems...
Is there a button input for this?
One more gameplay suggestion: I've seen enemies turn around to hit. It would be neat if the facing of an enemy in the deduction views mattered - ambushing enemies from behind. (Would that make the player too powerful?)
A few experience/quality of life suggestions:
* cutscene sound volume is much higher than rest of game - a bit jarring, especially the crash.
* tell the player spacebar + arrow keys in the tutorial (at least 2 players didn't know about space for items -- I tried X and Z from playing many SHMUP and puzzle games)
* let players skip the intro island with a boat to the west of the spawn point after you have played the game once
* fix i for info/clicking showing explanation (doesn't work on OSX)
* put the deduction tutorial in your first screenshot! I first avoided this game at a glance bc I thought it was a mouse game dragging and dropping pieces until I heard otherwise. Show off the design a little :) it's a great twist on vision in roguelikes.
* player on last hit / dying next turn -> reach boat, should let them survive (gain 1hp back?) I was hoping this would have worked.. dramatic survival.
* more interactions between enemies would be cool. I want to make the horse archer fire an arrow at another enemy, or the tiger eat the bird.. (maybe this happens later, I got past island 7 and saw many new enemies!)
Overall a great game and I like the challenges of the later islands!
If you are a fan of puzzle games or rougelikes this is a great coffee break roguelike.