Did anybody else spot the gorilla? ;)
Ok serious now, that looks really slick. Very juicy.
What's the state of audio in Rust? I'm having trouble finding a Go library that will do audio in a way that seems reliably cross-platform. I looked at doing the jam in Rust but I figured the learning curve was going to be way too steep!
This looks pretty cute. I've had a soft spot for management games where you specify tasks and then they figure out how to do them ever since playing Lego Rock Raiders on our first PC. Looking forward to seeing your progress :)
Check out the project on Github!
UPDATE THREE: August 10
Let there be lighting!
I got my asset issues sorted out the other day and re-unwrapped my whole little level. It took about 10 minutes instead of 3 hours! That's more like it. Yesterday I hacked in some lighting calculations based on this great tutorial, and it's starting to look much better. Now I need to start thinking about actual gameplay!
I also realised that my last two screenshots were almost entirely black on certain monitors. Using OpenGL's SRGBA texture format seems to have improved that a great deal - as has adding lights, since the scenes were supposed to be fairly dark anyway.
UPDATE TWO: August 6
I hoped I would have more to show off by now. I had little time to work over the last few days, but I wrote some basic camera movement so I could examine my environment in-game, and added fog to my basic geometry shader.
The first room in the game, complete with texture artefacts because of my unwrapping
Today I spent 3(!) hours creating a basic space to play around in. Most of that time was spent unwrapping the level onto my texture atlas. It's completely unscalable - I will hardly be able to finish one floor at this rate, let alone my planned 5. It's frustrating because I have a ton of cool ideas for content, and I need to move on to gameplay - but the environment is taking so long.
I think I need to write some code to split up my exported OBJ file by material, so I can rely more on UV wrapping instead of assigning each group of quads manually. Ditching the single-texture atlas (which I did because it's easier) would also improve the mip mapping.
A little further down the corridor
At this point my priorities are:
UPDATE ONE: August 3
It is Day Three and I have finally managed to render a wobbly corridor in OpenGL!
According to Toggl, it's taken me 6.5 hours to get this far. Hopefully the next 6 hours will be focusing on productive stuff, not wrangling OBJ files and framebuffers!
I decided that for this jam I wanted to learn how to use raw OpenGL. It's been eye-opening so far, but the feeling of control is pretty awesome. I wanted a language that was low-level but modern, so Go seemed like a good idea. Its go-gl bindings have been great; I can basically translate C/C++ OpenGL tutorials straight into my app with only minor edits.
CASTLEROOK will be an atmospheric walking simulator that may include gameplay, if I have enough time! I'm going for a dark-fantasy dungeon-world sort of vibe, but hopefully with a few surprises. My main inspirations are Arx Fatalis and Thief, and also the 3 hours I played of E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy. Killer pedigree, I know.
The to-do list for the next week is:
Looking again at the render above, the tiled floor now reminds me of this iconic shot from Stalker. Hmm...
I love the environment. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but I could see them being really great with a little practise. They just felt a little dull to me - I was tweaking the sticks to their extremes to get what felt like too little turning. But it's a great start at something very unique!