Greetings all and welcome to the December Devlog update!
A lot has happened since our last update, and we are anxious to share the results – and plans for the future – with you all.
Build v0.3 – Current public release
First off, let's talk about the current build on Itch.io – v0.3
Early November we finally swapped out or old Test Ketches with our test Brigs – Which first of all meant MORE size and MORE firepower! The same model used is the low poly version of the more detailed model that the player will use in the coming entirely new build of ToW – v0.4
We moved to Itch.io for our releases and updates, therefore making patching and updating clients MUCH easier. Be sure to download the demo through the Itch.io client to keep up to date!
What does Build v0.3 consist of so far?
- 5 Nations to play as; English, Spanish, French, Dutch and Pirate – More nationalities will come at a later point, such as China, Russia and young America.
- 26 gun Naval Snow, based on the HMS Ontario
- Admin panel to set up your test scene
- 3 swappable ammunitions:
- Basic Shot (Hull/Armor damage)
- Chain Shot (Sail, Rigging and Mast damage)
- Hot Shot (Heated to cause fire – which left unattended makes the gunpowder magazine explode)
- Canister (Crew damage) and other munitions will be added later when other mechanics are implemented
- Basic AI intelligence for the NPS's (Non Player Ships)
- Functioning flooding and fire system on board that must be fought if occurring.
- Test map with islands for tactical play
- A fully working day cycle system. You can let it run its course or freeze it at a certain time of day/night
- A fully working and customizable weather system with calms, storm, fog, rain, thunder and even snow dynamically being added to your ship
The last week we have also added to v0.3 the beginnings of new incoming systems you meet in v0.4:
- A basic dynamic damage texture system showing the damage done by the cannons on both yours, and your allies/enemies ships
- More dramatic updated explosions when the powder magazine explodes
- Updated explosions sounds
- New fire sounds
- More visible water splashes (still needs some colour tweaking)
- New Cannons particles
In addition to testing it for hours and hours internally, we have also run open servers and tested the current build with many outside testers. And we have also joined privately set up servers. It has been a blast and taught us a lot! Although the build is running smooth and very stable we did encounter a minor Networking issue that sometimes does not allow the player to connect to a server if they have just jumped out of another due to a long running master server timeout. Normally they have only had to wait for about 5 minutes and it was sorted out. Although we have looked into the matter, we are focusing on fixing this bug for the coming .0.4 build.
Should you NOT prefer to play PvP (who doesn't love a good single player match?), and purely want to test your skills against the computer, – or simply want to train and hone your skills before you meet your nemesis – you are of course fully able to set up your own server and play as single player against as many NPC/AI ships as you choose. Or even just spawn ships of any available nationalities you wish, and just spectate the carnage…
That concludes for v0.3 features. We will not add much more to v0.3 in anticipation of build v0.4
Build v0.4 – Coming soon
The next build is the biggest update so far and features a completely reworked/rebuilt game with increased performance and vastly improved code, furthermore it will also mark a new milestone for further development as we now will start to put in the finer details such as skill systems, upgrading systems and more. Features that will be added to the existing ones to expand the game to new heights.
Here are some of the highlights of what's to come:
- New and even further improved water system
- Improving and building on the implemented damage system
- Basic skills system allowing to specialize more
- More detailed ships for the player (Also adding a different version of the Naval Snow)
- New Texture system to the ships – to increase the graphical visual experience for the player and allow players to customize their own paint job (based on historical colour schemes)
- High quality cannon models and a few other objects on deck when hit/damaged can reflect that damage (or destruction)
- Basics of the coming ship customization and upgrade systems implemented – tailor the ship to your own play style
- Basic levelling system with implementation of new ships and ship classes
- New WIP Menu System
Ship Modelling work & Progress
Finally, it is exciting to show you some updated screenshots of the ongoing modelling work. All of these models near completion and consequently will lead to more ships making their way into the game when finalized.
Ships based on known ships, and not 100% accurate copies
- HMS Unicorn
- HMS Fly
- Pirate Brig
- Merchant Brig
- East Indiaman
- 3rd rate Warship
- USS Essex
Other ships in the making are:
- Redone Pirate Ketch/Schooner/Brig (A facelifted version of the test Ketch)
- Queen Anne's Revenge (The original Blackbeard's ship built on plans of La Concorde)
- 4th Rate Warship
May the winds always be in your favour and lady luck on your side!
Best regards from the Wolf Pack Games development team