I added decals and decided to stress it out a bit by leaving a blood of trail as i walk around:
Decals are basically done from the engine side, except that i need to write the code for importing them from the world files so manually placed decals will show up in the world (which should help to enrich a bit the environments with dirt, cracks, foliage, debris, etc). The editor needs to make decal manipulation a bit easier, but nothing big.
After that the next is making the enemies fire back. Yeah, i know that i wrote above that i'd work on this next :-P, but after having blood puffs in the world disappear i wanted shooting and killing enemies to leave something more permanent (after making the video i made the enemies spray blood in nearby walls when you shoot them :-P).
My immediate ToDo list for the game from a programm PoV is basically:
- Game menu and HUD (the engine side is done and i'll use parts of another project of mine for the scripting side)
- Weapons system (monster and player weapons) and monsters fighting back
- Pick up items (ammo, weapons, health - these need both HUD and weapons system)
- Doors and lifts with lockable versions and keys to unlock them
- Dialogs (the game wont be big on that but there'll be a couple of places where people will talk to you)
The engine side needs some stuff too:
- Import decals from the world file
- Add support for audio resources (the engine has no audio code at all at the moment)
- Ambient audio playback
- 3D audio playback
- Support for save/load (will need GUID generation from the editor)
Finally the editor needs:
- Better decal manipulation
- Finish the undo/redo code (not everything is undoable at the moment)
- Generate and retain GUIDs for entities so that saves can be implemented in a forward compatible way
From the content side i need to basically do everything since almost all of the existing assets are placeholders. I did some tests for level layout (the video shows one), but i need to have enough of the gameplay bits working before thinking more seriously about the level design.
And as for the models and textures, i still haven't decided 100% how exactly things will look (at least beyond the main character).