Questions

A topic by Auriya created Aug 10, 2023 Views: 206 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

I have some questions, can i ask them?

Host

Yeah ofcourse, shoot

Submitted

you know how it says were allowed to do conceptualization and basic code before the jam start date. well i brought over so much supporting code it feels like im cheating at this point so i just wanted some clear guidelines. 
my argument would be that in a game jam, we dont need to redevelop the entire computer, OS, game enguine, physics systems/rendering. we use it out of the box and in some enguines you do get a real ton of stuff so that you can start making your game right away without worrying about anything. 
so when i said i had supporting code i did mean that it is supporting code to make the game in a certain way like procedural generation and mesh construction. but at the same time i do feel that it is cheating cause its over 2k lines and stuff .-.  there is no gameplay though and i am trying to remove a lot of the code so i can have a fair start but i need guidance

Host (1 edit) (+1)

Um, alright I'm a be straight with you. This isn't a serious competition or anything, it's just meant  to be a fun experience. I mean hell, the reward is "kenergy." So in a lot of ways, it's up to you to make the call. If you think it's cheating, then maybe it is. But someone submitted in the last jam a mod for an existing game and we let it through. This may not be the answer you want or were looking for, but it's up to you to make the decision whether what you want to work on fits the jam. 

Submitted

I kinda expected that reply due to the reward being kenergy. But i would also like to take game jams seriously cause you never know if i may enter a serious one, and its also good practice, so i will try my best.
i would say making a mod of a game is an acceptable but excessive way of doing things, since it comes with an excessive amount of add ons. The one thing i wanted to know was starter templates, since there are not an infinite number of ways you can code at the start, having a good starting point for like FPS, puzzle, 2d etc that you can extend would make game jams with more variety because otherwise wed just be stuck coding like UI and other bland stuff at the start (im saying cause idk the rules of other game jams).

but ill carry on with what im doing as fairly as i can.

Jam HostSubmitted

I have done probably 40+ game jams over my career and the challenge in my experience is the project management more than the ideas or even people's abilities. The best thing in my opinion you can take form this is to get a little better at scope and project management.

Submitted

whats the difference between host and jam host

Submitted

Do we submit before the due date or after?

Jam HostSubmitted

You can submit any time before the end of the jam and there is a hour when the jam ends to give people time to submit.

Submitted

i uploaded my submission but im confused
i did not designate a project to submit and theres no manual submit button to remove or add submissions its quite confusing

just informational questions i assume my project was submitted since its showing up

Jam HostSubmitted

The upload process can be a bit confusing on itch if people have problems we have ways of adding games post jam. If it shows up on the jam submission page you are good.