Play gameSportsball's itch.io page
|Features; gameplay enhancements, integrated systems||#14||2.309||2.667|
|Creativity; innovation & originality across design, concept & execution||#15||2.309||2.667|
|Gameplay; core mechanics, objectives, balancing, progression||#16||2.309||2.667|
|UI & UX; visual design, clarity & ease of use, guidance, accessibility support||#22||2.021||2.333|
Ranked from 3 ratings. Score is adjusted from raw score by the median number of ratings per game in the jam.
Judge feedback is anonymous and shown in a random order.
The UI is really confusing in this game, there is no onboarding and the controls seem to not work effectively. For example, I was playing as player 1 with WASD but no punches or other keys were working. It seems like a very simple game, might be engaging, but it is hard to tell at this stage. The main menu need to be looked at, this is the first thing players see, and might run away if it is presented in such a confusing way - you want them to play your game, so be nice to them and make an impact from the very first screens.
This game was certainly different, the style of gameplay is entertaining and the pickups with their individual value helps to create a different gameplay experience. While there is no music in the game the sound effects are certainly different, not your typical sounds you would hear in the game but still very entertaining. Your UI is different as there is no actual buttons for you to press rather it is done directly though a controller. The lack of options for keyboard is a problem if people do not have controllers available.
Your documentation is detailed with concept drawings to match your development, I also noticed some GIF animations on your itch page and I would recommend that still screens of these be added to your documentation in future as it helps to get an idea within your document what the game looks like.
There is certainly room for improvement but then again there always will be in game development. As a YouTuber and game developer myself we consider it a pleasure to try your games and I am pleased to have had the opportunity to try your game.
YouTuber – FellowPlayer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXzcduiD99hcDMhhCzByRiA
- Documentation is very clear. Great to see use of trello to try and organise the effort. Haven't played the game yet but expecting good things given the attention to detail and commitment to a methodology.
- Gamepad support. yes!
- Audio. yes!
- Jump doesn't seem powerful enough. I guess there is a power-up for that BUT i would make the basic jump at least strong enough to be worth having. I cant jump on to the center platform for example. Camera perspective doesn't help as I cant really see that the area is raised from this angle.
- Cant really tell what the powerups are doing in game. The icons are not very clear, have to rely on colours.
- Once you have a powerup I dont know what one you have....
- I find the the jump very frustrating. The balance doesn't make sense to me. I think its a systemic issue. This balance is like not having jump and then the powerup gives you jump. Seems pointless without a powerup. Things to try:
- Why not take jump out and only give jump to the player when they get the powerup?
- You could try different resource mechanics like; Jump is allowed for X time like it is now, OR you can jump X times using powerup.
- OR why not make normal jump better and boost jump even better?
- OR why not make normal jump better and make boost jump flying/jet pack
- Just discovered sports paint. This is a very cool mode!!
- The grab is a bit inconsistent. Doesn't always feel good. Sometimes it feels like the object lights up telling me that it can be picked up but then it doesn't get picked up/or gets dropped. I think it works by clicking the grab button while the object is lit up. I suggest experimenting with timing, perhaps try holding the grab button while the object is lit. Mixing input states and gameplay states can be fiddly but when you get it right can make a big difference.
- Just found the rotating platform level - now i see you need jump to make this level work.
- Keep dropping the ball for no apparent reason. probably a bug but really annoying as core to player empowerment.
- Not sure about the losing points for dying. Perhaps the delay in respawn is enough of a punishment. Also lose power-ups so that's another negative point to death. Gives the other player a chance to score already. Could balance that using an additional delay after dying.
- On the islands level now. Jumping is actually really hard. Could experiment with placing a shadow under the player to indicate landing position. From this camera angle that would help. The default shadows are not helpful.
- Like that you made all these levels.
- Visual style is lacking. I appreciate you are not an artist but if you can get tips from art people on lighting, particles, animation an timings you can make some big gains here for little effort. Also check asset store for free stuff to make you game stand out. Could have replaced the capsule for example? Given them hats? Textured some stuff? Started to define an art style. Shaders?
Overall enjoyed it. For a Jam like this i would try to focus in on the essence of the game you are trying to be. Both modes are cool but probably better to push all the effort into one mode for the deliverable. Both modes feel like a good prototype and represent the idea well. The mechanics could do with some refinement to really hone in on what the player wants and understands. The physical nature of the game makes this very hard to do but good effort. Had a good time BUT see room for improvement.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.