Play gameCool Beans's itch.io page
|Gameplay; core mechanics, objectives, balancing, progression||#1||4.000||4.000|
|Features; gameplay enhancements, integrated systems||#1||3.750||3.750|
|UI & UX; visual design, clarity & ease of use, guidance, accessibility support||#1||3.250||3.250|
|Creativity; innovation & originality across design, concept & execution||#4||3.000||3.000|
Ranked from 4 ratings. Score is adjusted from raw score by the median number of ratings per game in the jam.
Judge feedback is anonymous and shown in a random order.
This is good stuff. Really great mechanic, though you might want to tweak the difficulty progression a bit. Even in the tutorial, the fire got me a couple of times as it was too fast.
Also, not totally convinced by the mechanic when it comes to throwing grenades, perhaps would be good to add some sort of slow motion to allow the player to target the spot they want to throw the grenade too. Also, consider extending the range of the grenade damage, as currently you need to place a grenade exactly where an enemy is in order to defeat it, whereas a grenade should have a bigger range of action - not that I have tried in real life, but that's how it is in terms of physics :)
When I read the description of your game it appeared to be a fun game to play and I am pleased to say it was. You have a simple menu system which appears to work well and a tutorial level for new players to use. The use of story though a RPG method is a nice detail to add to your game, the music as well work very good and the use of sound effects are good.
Although you chose to use standard unity assets for other models in your scene they appear to function well for your game. Having three levels built of different design adds to the feel it is a good size game and not repetitive.
While the control of the player is nice and simple I did encounter a critical bug when moving my character, sometimes the controls would lock into place and I am unable to move the character, sometimes it is a specific direction or both moving sideways are disabled, this happened quite regularly. I would suggest how to fix this however I could not find any documentation attached to your submission, this should be created during game develop to keep track of your game development progress and show your stages of construction so if any errors or problems occur you can fall back on.
The game appears to work very well with the exception of the character controller locking up at some points during gameplay. There is certainly room for improvement but then again there always will be in game development. As a YouTuber and game developer myself we consider it a pleasure to try your games and I am pleased to have had the opportunity to try your game.
YouTuber – FellowPlayer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXzcduiD99hcDMhhCzByRiA
- Functional UI
- Appears to support achievements
- Wait did it tell me the controls, no idea! back to start menu, try the tutorial... got it.
- First two bits of tutorial level make sense.
- No jump on game pad, have to use the keyboard for that.
- Done it back to level one.
- Cool setup and camera transition.
- Funny story line, simple content but adds a lot
- Combat is really hard, cant aim because I'm a bean. I need something better to kill dem blues.
- Did it level 2
- Hitting target when you are too close means you miss. Makes finishing the run fast section harder than it needs to be.
- Having a bit of fun here. Level 3.
- That was unreasonably hard.
- Cool twist on the starting project to turn them into beans. Gives the direction for a lot of the content of the game without the need for lots of art.
- The level scripting and content work is great. Level design is really good BUT quite hard sometimes. It didn't need to be that hard to be fun IMO. You can always add a hard mode and re-balance the levels for the extra challenge. Play tested on normal humans?
- The story elements where fun. Nice cheap content to pad out the levels and side effect of giving context to the objective.
- The shooting combat is hard, of course you are a bean and can only shot forwards. Makes it feel constrained like space invaders while being a shooting adventure game.
- The controls are appalling for such a great effort. Fix dem bloody controls!!! Need jump on gamepad and keyboard controls should be WASD with something like M to shoot.
- Worth talking to some arty people to get some pointers on colour and lighting. Should be able to get some low hanging fruit to make a big difference. Give it a bit of its own style. Its hard if you are not an arty person so get feedback from people who are.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.