Play gameCrystal Brawl's itch.io page
|Features; gameplay enhancements, integrated systems||#9||2.598||3.000|
|Gameplay; core mechanics, objectives, balancing, progression||#10||2.598||3.000|
|UI & UX; visual design, clarity & ease of use, guidance, accessibility support||#12||2.309||2.667|
|Creativity; innovation & originality across design, concept & execution||#15||2.309||2.667|
Ranked from 3 ratings. Score is adjusted from raw score by the median number of ratings per game in the jam.
Judge feedback is anonymous and shown in a random order.
A really good game that stands out from similar games in this challenge. Some points to consider at this stage:
- Add onboarding/tutorial
- Add variety of power ups (could not see any, but might not have looked properly)
- Add a player vs cpu mode
- Add gamification elements
The game is really nice to play, and the characters movements are interesting to see. Special moves would had character to the game and a pinch of variety too.
- Non stock menu and title screen
- Not feeling enthusiastic about these controls.
- Woa fully non-stock stylised game world.
- Animated characters.
- Shift for shoot is terrible idea on windows!! (sticky keys lock)
- Cant aim the bullets without being lined up for opponents shot.
- Not sure how the push works.
- What do the numbers above the head mean?
- Shooting seems pointless, only pushing gets you points.
- Played to 10 points and the game didn't end. Not really sure what the objective is.
- Nice to see a game with fully replaced art assets and some audio.
- Feels a bit style over substance, gameplay is confusing and lacking focus.
- Work should be done to keep the player informed of the rules and state of the game. Things to try:
- Intro screen, explain the rules, mechanics?
- Customise in game UI and use it to explain the state of the game.
- Get the full game loop working and test it on humans to see what mechanics shine through about the identity of the game and see if you can hone in on that.
- Iterate on the important elements of the game to find the fun and enhance its identity.
After playing your game my first impression was the good use of textures with the crystal effect across your map. The goal of the game is nice and simple and it appears to work well with no obvious bugs or errors. You took the effort to make a main menu and a pause system which is always a good thing to do in a game and give it that realist feel rather than just jumping straight into it.
Although the objective of the game is to damage the other player and knock them off the map, this appears to be an endless mission. I was able to knock the other player many times but there does not appear to be a limit or a winning message. If there is one it would be a good idea to add this to the goals of the game so people know how far to play the game. You will need to focus on the positions of your counter. Sometimes when choosing a different resolution the positions of your counters can disappear off the edge of the map but this can be fix by changing its anchor point in the canvas.
The music appears to fit the game well, there is no sound effects that I could here but having an ambient music playing in the background helps to break the silence and encourages the player to play more.
Unfortunately I could not find any documentation relating to your game project development, without this it is a little difficult to go into more details about how your game was built, in future it would be a good idea to have this even if it is basic. A concept documentation is always the first thing to do when building games, it can drag on a bit writing it all up but in the event something goes wrong or you have forgotten a method of application you can refer back to this.
The core element of the game is sound and works well, it presents a challenge to the player to defeat the other, although there does not appear to be an end to the challenge this is the only part which could be added. There is certainly room for improvement but then again there always will be in game development. As a YouTuber and game developer myself we consider it a pleasure to try your games and I am pleased to have had the opportunity to try your game.
YouTuber – FellowPlayer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXzcduiD99hcDMhhCzByRiA
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.