Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Things I learnt from this Game Jam...

A topic by Wizard_DevLog created Aug 09, 2023 Views: 95 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

I just thought it would be cool to make get people's thoughts in terms of the things they learnt about making this game that they can take to their next game jam. This is the first one I've actually managed to complete in time, and even then only just (packaging the first time takes so long omg!)

Here are my top 3 things I learnt: 

1. Save time for playtesting. This was such an afterthought for me but seems so crucial now, I got two really great bits of feedback that really helped me elevate the game in the last hour, I wish I'd been able to do more. 

2.  Think about the story. I got a bit too focused on effects and mechanics and didn't dedicate any time to the story behind it. I think with even a little bit of story I could have made it feel much more complete. 

3. Think about fundamentals like controls.  I should have realised early on that the game was going to be primarily for PC and made sure I didn't exclude people from being able to play it! 

Thanks and just as a final note.. to EVERYONE who made a submission, firstly congratulations, you made a game, and secondly thanks for being part of a small but important community of people who actually build stuff, rather than just complain or belittle others. It makes me very happy to be a part of that! 

Submitted

You are right. i think i should focus more on the mechanics next time. See ya