Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Devlog of a Roguelike

A topic by SquidRowGames created Feb 22, 2022 Views: 173
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

A daily updated Devlog can be found:https://squidrowgames.itch.io/the-roguelike-gam-jam

Two Days until Jam

The setup

Since I joined this jam a day or two ago, I have only been obsessing over what to make. However the good news is my daughter said yes to teaming up. She would like to focus on the music and possibly the art. I will put any work she does into the game as she has decided to let me handle the code and design part, so it's only fair to trust her process. I do hope she gravitates towards coding but I will not force the issue.  

The Plan with a Backup Plan

I was discussing with a Game Dev I went to college with if the main idea was feasible, he gave me positive feedback. Upon further discussion he also gave me a solid piece of advice that I would like to pass on to anyone reading this. MAKE A CUT LIST - A list of features you are willing to cut if time becomes your enemy.  It is never to early to start planning the basics and a back up plan. The hope is this saves time on the dev side so I can help my daughter learn photoshop and give her help with FL Studio.

Here is a glimpse of the plan(parts have been redacted in hopes this is the surprise element of the game

What to do next

Honestly I will most likely start to figure out which engine the daughter and I should use. This will mean the two days until the jam will be spent doing research into some of the unique mechanics and game engine features we can utilize. After the daughter gets home from school today we will sit down and start fleshing out the look of the game on paper and test mechanics and theories there. We will do a paper prototype, this will allow us to see mechanics in action and to see if we can find the fun in the initial idea. Most likely the main idea will change and reshape itself to something even better.

Good Luck Everybody!!