Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Testing

A topic by Natsuki527 created Sep 22, 2022 Views: 181 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 3

Are we allowed to test the code/physics of the game beforehand then make it?

HostSubmitted

Yes, you can test code found or developed before the jam. There would be no real advantage if you could not test code while it is developed, because you might just have to scrap it all and start over anyways.

When I test for my games, I always put them in a separated testing scene specifically dedicated to the function, like "Movement" or "LevelDesign". Just don't create a scene like "Level" and start putting everything into that scene, because at that point you are "making your game".

Platformers are rarely made from scratch (no pun), I am using a character controller from GitHub for example (I can provide a link if you would like). The point of this jam is to take assets and see how you can assimilate them into a finished (or mostly finished) game, with your touch to make it unique.

Am I allowed to make a game with the same textures as a previous platformer I made called Cubin'?

HostSubmitted

I would use new assets. I checked out Cubin, and the game mechanics were good, but there were no animations. Jams are a great place to try new things. I would like to see everyone try doing something new.

As in your case, I would focus on aesthetics, now that you have a good character controller. I would love to see your game have a character as the player. Pixel art is always a good option, also because Gdevelop has a pixel perfect feature.

actually, I was thinking about making my own assets, if I start that today would that be allowed, or do I have to make those during the jam?

HostSubmitted

Yes, I also plan on making assets today.

ok!

soo... I've been thinking about it and I decided that after this Jam I will continue to update the game and I will turn it into my first ever game where every single texture, animation, sound effect, and music file is created by me!

(1 edit)

I've never made assets before and I think it is going pretty well so far, this is the ground texture. (the player is a surprise :D)

HostSubmitted

The grass pattern is nice an erratic. A few suggestions though. As for color I would reduce the saturation, opposing colors with high saturation are hard to look at. Also, grass rarely lays flat on the ground, adding shadow will create the illusion of depth. Also, a highlight on the surface makes it look as if light is coming down. Dirt is also rarely uniform (i.e., a solid color), adding speckles to the dirt obfuscates the uniformity.

Color theory is very complex, and making appealing colors is an entirely separate job. I'd recommend looking at some color palettes. This is the website I use: https://lospec.com/palette-list.

(2 edits)

would this be a good player sprite based on what you said? (I'm going for a plastic feel, and yes there are animations)

are you making a game for the jam

HostSubmitted (2 edits)

Yes, I intend to. Also, please use the discord to discuss game assets. It's just easier for me to use than itch's discussion board, and you'll be able to get feedback from others as well.

If you don't have a discord account, it is very worthwhile if you intend to make a full game. You'll also get your own channel in the discord to promote your game if you win.

oof sorry about that, also every time I load Discord it crashes my laptop so kinda cant.

I'm so tempted to start tonight, it's so sad I have to wait till 8 tomorrow to start