Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Night Sky (ConTextEngine)

A topic by XxTheSpaceManxX created May 19, 2022 Views: 547 Replies: 40
Viewing posts 21 to 29 of 29 · Previous page · First page
Submitted (3 edits)

So on a personal side. I am trying to get into balance with my ADHD medication with support of the doctor and nurse at the clinic. To figure out that my dose is right it has been lowered, and I am now back in the position where I know what I should do but am mentally unable to do it. It's really frustrating.
I will contact them on monday, talking about the effect and if I should return to the old dose. 
So progress has not gone as far as I wanted. In theory, I am roughly done with four rooms, but I don't have much in the way of puzzles, and I am still not really sure where I am heading at the moment. 

I feel like I should have stayed with my orginal idea "The Addventure" (ADD being the "used in talk" non hyper version of ADHD, in actually called ADHD:Primarly Unfocused)

The idea for that one was simply about trying to find the way to do the things you need to do in everyday situations, but being unable to do them simply because there is no text prompt to do them, untill you can find a game world interaction by looking and doing stuff that catch your attention back to the thing so it come back into focus. 

It would have been a really real and personal game, but I feelt it would just be to frustrating to people without these difficulties that it would not be funny to play, get poorly rated, get complaints about being illogical, and in reality it shouldn't be funny, it should just be super frustrating and just make you angry that you can't do something as simple as "cook egg" even if you are in the kitchen and you managed to put the eggs on the table, but for some reason you are now only able to sort trough some  old magazines, and cleaning the dishwasher. Before a 2 your youtube binge with out even reflecting on the eggs

:D

Submitted (1 edit)

I like very much that idea of the artic game!

By the way, in the artic zone, wouldn't be mainly all the hours day or night depending on the season? ¬.¬

At the end, the time is always a problem for everybody :D

Anyway I dont want to go to sleep with that Pekka hanging around.

> search for a knife

Submitted

Take it easy with that stuff of making the game and take care of you!

About the room numbers, the absence of puzzles, being tempted by other ideas of game, and the sensation of being unfocused not getting clear where is the game heading on, I’m in the same situation and I think that many of those silent writers of this jam (hey, you, yes you!) are also there.

Let’s do what we can with our time, and try to have a good time doing it!

About the game, I told you I like the artic isolated atmosphere, and the best advice I can give you If you ask me, is “stick to the plan”.

It does not matter that at some point there is an option that seems better (which surely there will be). Our most valuable resource here is time, and sticking to the plan is the most careful approach with it.

There will be other opportunities to develop other ideas, and this new one that you have seems cool. It's nice to receive recognition from others for our work, but not at the cost of doing what we don't want just because others don't understand or like.

Submitted

Yeah I know its to late to change. And I won't I just feelt like it might have been a better decission early on.
I just have no idea how to complete this on time at the moment.
I have added so theoretical endings but not sure how the player should get there since they would need so much logic and choices to end up in those situations. I tried to stay away from a "fixed path" mentality and more that you are a bit more free to do things, but it effects overall states and descriptions. 

I think I might have spent to much time on micro actions, where I should add time on major actions, as in,
instead of doing things like "enter data", "review entry" "validate and send", it could simply be the action "work" with textbased feedback. 

I know I should not "cry" over this, it's my firstly full designed more complex text adventure, and I don't think any game designer delivered gold on day one. 

I also look forward to converting part of this system to a graphical system onwards. You got some config settings, and based on those it can parse space quest esq games or early limted computer point and click, where you have a room view but no clear character like Deja Vu and Shadowgate.

Submitted

Ok. Being unable to get a handle on writing game logic, I found i still manage to write engine logic. The mind is a mysterious thing.
So I just added the possibility to use states in script for random ranges and target range, so now I can increase a value in script and increase the chance of something happening. 
I also add something I wanted for a while the "call" cmd, that allows me to call a specific file and validate, then execute all commands in it.
That makes it possible to make some shared logic for things that might happen in different locations.

Submitted

Doing some restructuring I finaly added in a state where there is a "end" to the game.
Adding this opened up the idea on how you can reach it and things that might affect the path there.
It now feels like I have a complete product before the deadline. 

It won't exactly be what I imagined, but I feel good about it.

It gave me some possibilities to move onwards, the game is now a lot shorter then I intended.
Or the possibility atleast to be short based on player choices, it will still contain multiple possible endings.
Not so much gameplay puzzles as i intended but more clear player choices.
We will see how it turns out.

Submitted

Three day cold, but kinda back on track. "Knyter bara ihop säcken." ~ "Just tying up the sack." as the swedish proverb goes.

Submitted

So...
Done some redesign to be able to release something on time, really slimmed a lot of things down.
That also ment that the exercise machine gameplay logic doesn't make sense anymore.
So now I am in a "kill your darling" moment. A lot of time went into being able to control the levels of the treadmill, visual feedback, energy levels etc, but now it doesn't fit with the easier system aproach implemented. It would just feel like a forced minigame, with not enough clear feedback.
I will remove the scripts as they are now and replace it with some clearer choices you do.
I will keep a back up just like with the insanity system. But that will not make the current the cut either.

The way I look at it now is that this game in comparison is essentially a 7 year olds first atempt to draw with water colors. 
I should not demand to much of myself counting in the fact that I wrote the engine, and rewrote the console connection 3 times, had a major cold and other setbacks. 
This will make it possible to write the last few things required for the game to be completed by a player, while removing a really big set of potential bugs related to design changes, and possible classing naming conventions that happend due to misstakes in planning.

So this will for instance convert a currently 134 line script with conditions, into something that could be done in maybe 20 or 30 lines. 
The functionality behind it still remains to be expanded on in future games, but it will not be part of this game.

Submitted

That went badly. But it's done. Just cut like 95% of the planed content. :D

Submitted

Hey, XxTheSpaceManxX! Nice to hear from you!

Just on time! :DDD

Viewing posts 21 to 29 of 29 · Previous page · First page