Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Creative loop / sample use ideas

A topic by Nick Zone created Jul 21, 2023 Views: 157 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2

The rules for this lovely jam mention that you are free to use samples and loops you have the rights to "as long as the majority of the work is still your own composition and arrangement." If you wanna get some creative ideas for how to pull this off in the realm of video game music, I've got two amazing OSTs for you to listen to:

Both are fantastic. Disasterpeace was actually inspired by Darren Korb's usage of loops in Bastion to give it a go with the Gunhouse soundtrack.  From the Gunhouse OST page: "This soundtrack is largely an experiment in using pre-made loops and samples. I wanted to see how far I could get using loops as the primary source of inspiration. It turns out it's a great way to not only work quickly, but to flex creative muscle and do strange aesthetic things."

Anyone else have other cool, creative, and / or off the wall uses of premade loops / samples to serve as inspiration?

Submitted

I'll add some more!

Many of the OSTs for the Silent Hill games (composed by Akira Yamaoka) used pre-made loops and samples. One song that comes to mind is Nightmarish Waltz

Also, Earthbound was notably very creative in its use of samples throughout its soundtrack, such as the song Cave of the Past which samples the opening seconds of Deirdre by the Beach Boys (a personal favorite example of mine!)

And, of course, Toby Fox used TONS of samples from Earthbound and other classic games in the soundtrack for Undertale. (The sound from "Deirdre" is used in True Lab songs "Here We Are" and "Amalgam")

Good luck to everyone who reads this, and have fun composing!