Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Dynamic Action! OpenD6 with a twist.

A topic by Malckuss created Nov 02, 2021 Views: 129 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(1 edit) (+1)

I'm mucking about with an old favorite - OpenD6.  This is the system behind the original Star Wars RPG.  I am definitely riffing on that iteration of the system, most especially the variant used in Star Wars Live-Action Adventures which used only a single d6 for task resolution.

The wrinkle I have thrown into the mix is giving each player a small pool of Action Dice.  Players are free to spend as many or as few of their Action Dice on a given action, however the dice only refresh at the start of the player's next turn.  If they are fired upon, while piloting a ship or on foot, they would want to spend an Action Die to evade.

I am also adding some narrative elements to the game system to refresh Character Points, Fate Points, and clean up XP gain and expenditures.  I am using a bit from the business courses I took in college - the SWOT analysis. 

In business, an entrepreneur wants to be aware of their businesses' Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, & Threats.  I'm applying this to characters.  Strengths and Weaknesses are comparable to Advantages and Disadvantages, but Opportunities and Threats are more narrative.  Each character should have a Main Drive and a Secondary Drive; motivating factors.  Why are you here, why do you adventure, etc. Opportunities are narrative cues to move towards those goals and Threats are obstacles and barriers they need to surmount in order to accomplish their goal.  The GM can use these as guideposts to build adventures that should theoretically have more player buy-in.  When a player exploits an Opportunity, faces a Threat, or achieves one of their goals, they earn XP.  The player may then write a new Drive with attendant Opportunities and Threats.

Early days, and now I must drag me off to work.

Host

Sorry for the late reply - been ill and so limiting online energies. How goes the game?