SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Tiny Hungry Shark

A topic by zakkiri created Feb 03, 2023 Views: 295 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

Hello Everyone! 

Bawk n' Bite is the name of our game studio, inspired by our love for fried chicken. I'm Zack, the programmer and artist, and Eirik, the programmer - two third-year computer science students and dynamic duo. Though we may be late to the Game Jam, we're eager to make a splash with our first joint project. Our goal is to create a game that is both fun and addictive, and we can't wait to show everyone what we'll come up with!

Eirik's Profile

Zack's Profile

Idea:

Dive into the ocean and take control of a tiny but mighty shark. Your goal is to swim around and consume smaller fish, growing bigger with each bite. But beware, as bigger fish may see you as a tasty snack. The challenge is to see how far you can go, starting as a small shark and becoming a force to be reckoned with. The ocean is yours to conquer, so let the feast begin!

Here's the first concept I did, just followed my instinct and animated it from the top of my head:

Concept #2

Next I did a proper render:

I wasn't sure how it was going to look in unity so before going any further I created a sprite sheet and sent it over to Eirik.

Submitted (5 edits) (+1)

Hey guys, Eirik here!

So using Unity's Sprite Editor and Animation tools, I have Sliced the sprite sheet and created the shark in Unity.

I also added player movement! (WASD)

After that, I added the ability to eat smaller (width) fish! - The tuna fish sprites and animation is created by Zack :^)

And a simple score system based on the size of the eaten fish...

After that I added damage a health system where the player takes damage if they collide with fish bigger than them. :o

(+2)

a game about shark. nice ! good luck.

Submitted

Thanks! We're really excited about the project and putting in a lot of effort to make it a great game.

Submitted(+1)

Here's the tuna I worked on, it was quick so I'm not quick keen on it. Might redo it later:

Worked on a simple ocean background:

Ground:

Bomb:

Also wrote script for bomb animation going up and down and player dying if they touch it.

I also worked on the parallax background effect with Eirik, there was a lot of bugs but we managed to get it working in the end:

I made a small and fun trailer video for the game so far, please check it out here!

Submitted(+1)

I made the tuna spawn/despawn depending on proximity of the player !! This was the most difficult thing i've done so far :o

(+1)

is amazing ! background is perfect sky and ground, with the bomb is a challenge ! continue.

Submitted

Many thanks for the support Mathias!

Submitted

I added chase ai for the fish !!

Smaller fish will now swim away in fear of being eaten :O

While bigger fish will chase the player instead !

Plus i've been working on many things under the hood which will make things easier going forward <|:^)

(+1)

a small fish fear (oho i'm scary) and the big fish chases (i'm eating you) and you are work of may thing on the hood for easier the forward ! continue !