SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Winter Fever - A Markings Side Story

A topic by Visual Butterfly created Jan 26, 2020 Views: 1,269 Replies: 36
Viewing posts 1 to 22
Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

Hi there!
I'm Chanda and I've gotten permission to use assets from a game that I've never finished before or even fully put in the works until now. This will be the first game jam I am entering. The game is going to be otome visual novel. You, the player, will be playing as Reaki Harim who many assume is an Akeen. Some backstory to the original game:

Markings

Reaki was always fighting. On the front lines, she was a monster, but because she was a monster, she was able to unite the country together. On a night of celebration, Reaki was brought to her knees with powerful magic and put in a coma. Through this time, that person has fed everyone lies for eight hundred years and now, the people of Yardrill believe their history is eighty centuries long. A power struggle emerged while Reaki was induced into a coma between Ingads and Akeens. Ingads came out on top while Akeens suffered. When Reaki finally wakes up after her slumber with the help of the Queen of Akeens, she is more than a little displeased with what has happened to the country. She feels it is her responsibility to restore balance and it all starts with enrolling in Yoorluk Academy in search of her lost swords. Rumor has it that her weapons lie in stone somewhere there and only the true owner can whisper its name. 

It is still a WIP synopsis where Reaki builds relations within the school while also having her own internal struggle. The focus for the visual novel is mostly about redemption as well as overcoming the past whether for Reaki or her partner.  Here are the characters who will be appearing in Winter Fever:

This is Ajeel Koron. He will be Reaki's history teacher and yes, he is a playable character. He gets along well with his students, but he sets a boundary. He always seems to have something against Reaki, though she can't put her finger on it. However, he doesn't take kindly to the people who bully her. He'll protect her, but he won't be nice to her himself. Why is that?

This is Akhil Ochien, the school's principal. I'm still deciding whether or not to make him a playable character given the background between him and Reaki. Reaki walks on egg shells with him. She's scared of him finding out her identity and what that will mean. Even so, Akhil does everything within his power he can to help Reaki. 

Meet Guilen Luinta. He is a playable character as well as pivotal character to the game. Although we won't see that in this side story or maybe we'll catch glimpses of it. Originally, I had him set as Ajeel's older brother, but I thought they really looked nothing alike, then I got the idea of him being someone else who I also needed. He looks like the person I envision as Guilen as a matter of fact. Guilen is the school's nurse. He acts as Reaki's confidant and always lends her an ear when she skips class. He's usually the one who catches her in the act by saying, "Shouldn't you be in class?" 

The next two will be closer to Reaki's biological age...I realized while making this game that the other characters are older and when I thought about changing their ages to college age, my artist reassured me that it was fine.

This is Sunir Ciscon and Reaki's classmate. They met on the wrong footing, but have since become closer in this side story.  He is the embodiment of the friendly guy, aka the guy who never gets the girl or the guy who never chases after the girl. Reaki was very harsh on him at first and can still be depending on the situation with him. When I was first naming characters, he was originally called Keventry because I was walking to class with a guy named Kevin and we were entering the door......the second name was Toralka, but I think Toralka fits the guy below more!

As I said above, this is Toralka Gorgion. He was originally named Prestonal before I learned Prestonal was a muscle relaxing drug......
Anyway, Toralka is in the grade above Reaki and Surnir. He's always teasing and making passes at Reaki. Whether he's joking with her or not is still unknown since Reaki only ever outright rejects him. He's always calling her a 'Princess' because Reaki is always so formal be it her mannerisms or the way she takes someone down a peg. Not many people confront Toralka, so Reaki was a first. The two interact more than Reaki would like because they're locker mates.

Side Characters

The only side character I have planned for this side story right now is Ellie.

Ellie Mynto is in the same grade as Reaki and Surnir, but not the same class. She is Surnir's best friend and she may want something more from him. However, Surnir doesn't feel the same way. She has never liked Reaki and I don't think she ever will to be honest because ever since Reaki came, Surnir seems happier without her. That doesn't bode well with the Alpha female. She'll come across as sweet to those around her, but she's actually quite manipulative. 

Finally, I do have a character reference for Reaki. You'll see the difference between Ingads and Akeens. The biggest being animalistic features as I didn't say this before, but it's a fantasy genre. In this side story, you won't see other Akeens like Suisen who is posing as Reaki's mother.

This is Suisen Kariyata. As you can see, she has two sets of ears. She will not be appearing in this side story unfortunately, but already there is a visible difference between all the characters and her. This is her final design, but before I had a character reference from GattoAdopts.

Reaki is currently a character reference made by GattoAdopts which I bought from DA. I was never able to convert her into my artist's style because I'm unemployed right now. However this is what she looks now:

I do plan to change her color scheme around to maybe a purple or midnight blue as it fits the theme of what I'm going for. I do have permission for this. Reaki is the stubborn type who takes on a lot of burdens in the beginning. She is thrown in an unfamiliar setting and rejects help from those around her. She wants to do it all herself because she feels she doesn't deserve anyone's helping hand. However as the main game progresses, she realizes that's not the case. She hasn't gotten to that point in the side game yet.

Now, since the theme is Cold, I had the idea to create a side story with my characters. The concept of cold has to do with Reaki's personality at this time being reluctant to receive help, but also to do with the point in time which is Winter. I think it will take place in the middle of the story line when Reaki is having an internal conflict. Where she wants to do the country right, she's content with her school life as she's never had a normal life. Who wouldn't want a break from the stress and responsibility? However, it eats away at her up leading up to the winter field trip. Those around her have taken notice and want to help her, but she pushes them all away. I'm still working on what to do, but this is what I have so far:

The game will be coded in Tyranobuilder. I'm very new to coding, but I am trying my best with this platform. The plot for Winter Fever  is not set in stone, but it is something that I am leaning towards so far. A majority of what I will work towards are making sure the buttons works and everything is in order because no one wants a game that can't run properly. 

With that said, this may end up being a short side story because of that. I will keep everyone updated though! 

Submitted(+1)

For anyone curious and want to confuse yourself on the main story of Markings, here is a link to the story I wrote based on the visual novel. I took a class back in the Fall and so, I wrote about the game. The characters who made an appearance were naturally Reaki, but also Suisen and Akhil. This story was made so that I could better understand the direction the game was heading in. The Prologue is meant to confuse you! I think Markings is a hard to understand game because you don't have all the pieces before you. You don't know yourself and you don't know the other players. It's confusing, but I think that's what there's to like about it. If you're willing to read 12 double-spaced pages, then give it a try! 

Markings Prologue

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Here are the character dimensions that I had to adjust from varying sizes like 3000x2100 or 3600x2000 which didn't fit the layout size since I'm dealing with a 1280x720 layout now! I hope these character adjustments are to your liking!

Host(+2)

ohhh i think this take on the theme is a really great one especially for a VN! the flowmap is really cool to see! and this preview video looks awesome.

Submitted(+2)

Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out where I could put branch buttons and everything while trying not to make everything too difficult for myself given the time limit and everything. 

Host(+1)

haha for sure! honestly if you're using renpy you could probably leave the defaults and make it fancy after the jam.

Submitted(+1)

I'm actually using Tyranobuilder believe it or not. I've never coded in my life and I've had Tyranobuilder sitting around in my steam account, so I'm giving it a try. I like the drag features so far, but everything is still a bit confusing. I would try renpy, but maybe after the game jam because switching midway is a bit difficult after having set Tyranobuilder to my liking already!

Host(+1)

oh gotcha! omg no worries yeah it looks like it's a good place to start if you don't have any coding experience!

Submitted(+1)

I realized late into the game that I didn't have any logos for main menu, so I made these. Since the main game is called Markings and the side Story is Winter Fever, this is what I came up with. I'm not sure if this will be the final product, but it's a start!

Submitted(+1)

Today was mostly spent adjusting the Main Screen in making sure everything works as well as working on story line. Nothing is set in stone right now. What I worked on today doesn't seem like much, but brainstorming a story line on the spot can be hard...at least in my opinion!

This is the direction so far that I see everything going, but like I said nothing is set in stone. It's a bit messy as you can see! Hopefully it'll become clearer in the end. Since it's a side story, there are bound to be questions on the main story, but that's to be expected.

Submitted(+1)

Since I'm battling class with the jam, I'm going to start coding tonight when I get home from class. I've made enough content that I can plan a little in Tyranobuilder. I'm looking forward to it! I also did a few more post-its in between classes, so it's a good start.

(1 edit) (+1)

An Otome Visual Novel! ^O^/ Hi  Chanda, I was wandering around the forum and I'm so glad to stumble upon your devlog. ^.^ I love Otome VNs and I'm also working on one myself for this Jam (I just started today *w*'' it's been a busy few days for me as it's the Chinese New Year!)

Winter Fever looks so beautiful! I'm in love with your art and the storyline about redemption already. ^.^ It looks both promising and awesome. This seems to be a complex story, I'm very excited to see more from it at the end of our Jam.

Good luck coding tonight and I look forward to more of your updates!

Take care,

Anh

Submitted(+1)

Hi, Anh!

I’m so happy to hear you like it! I know what it’s like to be busy. As of right now, I have a full class schedule LOL

The main story is meant to leave you confused and ask questions because it’s not only a story about redemption, it’s also a story about identity. Reaki battles between her duty to set things right and what she wants to do which is be a normal girl. 

This side story is a deeper look in her subconscious where we see the internal conflict and her breakdown from the weight of guilt. 

I don’t have it all together and I may not finish it by the end of the jam, but I’m sure to continue after if I don’t finish!

Thank you for taking the time to read my devlog!

Take care on your game,

Chanda

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

It's been a busy day today! Hopefully I can get more done tomorrow. I got the first post-it done as far as document coding. My process is typing it all out before putting it in tyrano in case tyrano crashes on me at any point and I don't save. This method helps to save a lot of reworking on my end. It serves as a permanent backup. Here is part of what everything looks like so far in the google doc:

Right now, this is what it looks like. Currently, I haven't decided which of my songs to use for this scene, but I'll get to that when I test them out one by one. If I one of my originals don't fit the scenes, then I'll use a placeholder for the jam and have my composer, Danny Dice make beautiful music afterwards. I've coded a bit into tyrano to show you all what it looks like!

The clover is a telecommunications device in this world. I'm having a friend make it. That's why it's blank...I tried to make my own, but it looked like popcorn...

(+1)

Congrats on finishing your first post-it! ^O^/ Everything is so neat and I think your post-it process before writing the actual script seems to work great for you. ^.^

Submitted(+1)

Thanks so much, Anh! I'm really organized LOL I have a set timeline for all my ideas. There's one game idea I had before this one where I had the timeline predating to before the game started with the main character's parents and ancestors because it was a game about the red string of fate in a way. I'm still working on that game and then this jam came up! Normally, I would work more on character development, but jams don't leave much time for that T_T 

I will definitely be going back to work on this in the long run!

(+1)

I admire your hardword so much, Chanda! I think that's so much details and detph you put into your work!

I don't think I can go very far considering my situation at the moment. But I'll be here to support you.

May I ask what program you use for the post-its? They look awesome!

Take care,

Anh

Submitted(+1)

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the support LOL

Of course! Right now, I'm using LucidChart. It was honestly just an accident that I found it. 

You're able to export the files as PNGs, JPEGs, etc when finished because you're only allowed 10 as a free member to my understanding. I still need to look into that.

They also have customizable templates that you can work off of from family trees to brainstorming patterns. It's been a lot of help because I've made several family trees for different characters.

You can also look into alternatives if you search something like: LucidChart Alternatives

I hope this helps with your work! It doesn't even need to be game related! It can be work and life related as well LOL

Take care,

Chanda

Submitted (2 edits)

Post-its love me. I love post-its. It seems they hold more information in them than we'd like to imagine because 2 post-it ideas hold 8 pages of coding content LOL who knew?!

Anyway, here is some progress on what I worked on today. I decided on a font for the buttons with the general consensus from the discord group!

Just beware that the music may be loud if you are wearing headphones! I didn't realize until after the fact! I'll have to fix that. It wasn't like that while I was playing the game, so maybe it was a recording thing!

Submitted

A small update for tonight! I have finished Scene One which includes the first 3 post-its and translates roughly 11 pages of coding in google docs. What you see in the above google doc image is how it's formatted to make it easier when I code in Tyrano so I know what to click and drag, so if I need to make minor adjustments I can! I am now 3 pages in the 4th post-it and just about to go into the 5th! 

As it looks right now, I won't be able to finish all the post-its, but the title screen is finished. A lot of the mechanisms are done and the only thing actually needing to be done is scripting! The first scene has been played through and tested. Winter Fever will definitely be worked on after the jam if it isn't completed by the end date!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Tonight's latest update is that I am almost on the 6th post-it. I am going to start that before going to bed.  In the meantime, please enjoy some UI that I've created for this jam that I thought up!

(+1)

They are looking better and better, Chanda! I think there are a lot to creating a VN and I admire you to do them all by yourself (except the music). All the UI, art and writing. This is all so amazing and fantastic. ^.^

You must be busy with school life as well as your game. I hope you remember to take care of yourself as well!

Cheers,

Anh

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Thank you, Anh! Though, it's not me who made the main UI! I'm making minor adjustments because my artist is unavailable. I also can't draw LOL you'll see in the credits page when I have that up and there'll be links to all their pages as well! 

The only things I've contributed wholeheartedly is the scripting, coding, and ideas! 

I do look forward to watching this project reach its end and hearing what people think of it!! 

Thank you for your support!

- Chanda

P.S

This was my attempt at making the telecommunications device in the story called Clover

One of my friends said it looks like popcorn LOLOLOL now you know how bad I am at art. I just used the Ellipse Tool and added a shadow X.X

(+1)

He he, I think it looks like a butterfly, nice. ;) We all know that art can be difficult, you did a great job!

Submitted

LOL I wish it was supposed to be a butterfly! It's supposed to be a clover LOL Thank you LOL I'm using this as a placeholder in the game until my friend finishes the actual piece! 

Submitted

I just finished making a quick mock up of what the title screen will end up looking like!

Before it was the School Yard in Spring time, but I decided to change it to better suit the cold theme. I changed the background to the ice rink! Previously the blue text didn't match the pink spring colors and it felt weird, but this looks much better right?

I'm finishing up with Scene 2. It's currently at 15 pages. I think what will end up happening is it will just be the first and second scene in this sneak peak of the side story and if we're lucky MAYBE the 3rd scene. 

I must confess that I've been participating in this jam with a bad case of carpal tunnel so my performance has been sub par! I am trying to the best of my abilities to take breaks by working on the smaller things, but I'm also really excited to work on the jam!! 

Submitted

So...I just finished Scene 2. Tonight, I will be implementing it into Tyranobuilder. It has ended at 22 pages. Unfortunately, it did not include all of the 6th post-it. 

BUT it has a lot of drama if you ask me. I will be working on the 3rd Scene after I implement the 2nd Scene and play test it. That is what I have for today's update right now. There will be a mini-update later tonight, hopefully!

Submitted(+2)

22 pages is a lot more than I expected! 

Here is some of my progress for tonight! It looks strange, doesn't it? This goes up to 3 pages of coding. I just put in some branch buttons. I'll try to finish this scene by tomorrow and test it out. It's looking to me like Scene 3 won't be available for the Jam, but I'll continue working on this side story along with the main story! 

I am also working on the Credits page.  This is what the finished page should look like by the end and will have links to the people who have worked on this creation!

I'm looking forward to getting the first two scenes out!

(+1)

Hi hi, Chanda. I always enjoy reading your progresses. ^O^/ you know, I think your designs and UIs look great. ;) I think you already succeeded going this far! I can't wait to check your game out!

Take care,

Anh

Submitted(+1)

Hi Anh!

Thanks so much for following along! I'm just nervous to reach people's expectations LOL

Have a good day!

Chanda

Submitted

I am still coding, but I got a lot done! After tonight, it's minor adjustments from here on!!

I have to apologize in advance because I have left the script on a cliffhanger. I will work hard on the upcoming scenes, but it will take awhile since I had a deadline to meet, I pushed myself harder to meet the goal, but after this, I will be focusing more on the semester!

That doesn't mean I won't stop working on the side story. I do appreciate any feedback once I launch the first two scenes. If you think I could've ended the second scene earlier or made the first scene longer then please let me know!

Submitted

So, Scene One is done and play tested!

Scene Two has been coded and will be tested tonight! From there, I will tweak everything in case something goes wrong!

Submitted

Thank god for testing Scene Two! I found so many things that needed to be fixed! They were very very minor things that needed to be dragged in and adjusted. It was very easy to do, but I'm glad I managed to do it because it affected the play otherwise it made the game unplayable. 

There is not much to do except wait for some BGs to be done by my artist and my guest artist to finish our Clover! Other than that the little sneak peak of Winter Fever shall be finished! Bonus to anyone who thinks they can figure out some underlying themes to the game when it comes out just from the tidbits. I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

Unfortunately, some BGs couldn't make it into the game just yet such as the ice rink, but you'll see that in the start up page! On another note, the aqua lounge mentioned in a post-it has to be my favorite background so far and I just want to share it with you all! I'm so excited to implement it into the game!

It comes in several variations! This is the one with all the fishes, there is one with sharks, clown fish, no fish, etc! I have corresponding music to go along with it and the music is on point to this setting. In the post-it, this is where Principal Ochien or Akhil, who we have yet to see, takes Reaki to dinner for a meeting since she is the Akeen representative.

To give more insight on Akhil as a person, look into the story I wrote above in a google doc. It's a bit long, but it gives a bit of clarity to who Reaki is and what she's doing in Yardrill at this time. It's ironic how we don't see Suisen or Akhil in the side story physically, but we see them in this prologue piece...that was honestly purely coincidental due to time constraints. 

Anyway, I shall keep everyone posted with the progress on my artists' and how everything is going!

Submitted

Hello! I said I will keep everyone posted and I will deliver!

Here is the progress on the Clover with the initial sketch:

This is the concept we ended up settling on where the screen will end up:

Finally are the buttons!

Please let us know what you think about this layout! The clover is making a one time appearance for the game at this moment, but we want it to look right! 

Submitted

Hello!!

My BG artist has returned to me with the winter versions of the spring school yard. I'll show you the spring version as I don't want to spoil what will be show in the game!

My friend who is working on the clover will be lining and coloring and then I will submit by Saturday! While I am waiting for everything, I am still working on the game with Scene Three. I plan to finish the side story. Once the side story is done, I plan to work on the main game. 

Submitted

HELLOOOOO!! I know it's been 2 days since I last updated!

I have some bad news. Unfortunately, my friend got pretty busy these past few days and was unable to finish our beautiful clover. That means we're stuck with my monstrosity of a popcorn clover!

It doesn't mean it's forever! My popcorn clover is just a placeholder for the real deal! Sorry...

However, I am going to go put the game up for everyone's enjoyment immediately and hope it works because I am terrible with uploading!

Submitted

Oh goodness! So many complications! 

I really have no idea how to make it work within the browser...well I was able to get it submitted on time. I was not able to make the game work in the browser...

It is a windows downloadable currently and I am working on getting the mac version up as well! The reason I was not able to get it to work as a browser form is because the file was too large unfortunately!

Winter Fever

Please enjoy the game in the meantime with my Popcorn Clover!!