Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Doodad Factory

A topic by patpat created Jan 08, 2017 Views: 139
Viewing posts 1 to 1
(+1)

I don't know why, but for a long time I've wanted to make a game about economies and how people interact with and influence it. Maybe I should just go play Eve and save me a ton of effort :))

For now, I'm calling my game Doodad Factory. If I get around to developing a plot into it, the main character will be a young man tired of the same old country life who seeks excitement and opportunity by going into manufacturing, and running his own factory. It's kinda reverse Stardew Valley!

QUICK INFO

Genre: Simulation/Resource management

Engine: Pygame

Platform: Linux (at least initially), then Windows and OS X if I can

It'll be about buying raw materials, so you can make them into goods that you'll eventually sell. The gameplay for actually making stuff from your materials will probably be something clicky/draggy, and reminiscent of Osu, although I haven't nailed this down yet. As you grow your factory, you can hire workers to operate your machines, expand into manufacturing different products, studying the fluctuating supply-and-demand of the market to prepare for your next business expansion -- all while being careful not to overwork yourself and your workforce. Helped by your adorable company dogs and cats (Theme! YAY!)I started out with a very simple five-bullet plan, but after a couple hours of gradually fleshing it out, I'm now at two and a half pages worth of detailed features that I'll need to implement. Now I understand why the most common piece of advice is to narrow down my scope

Realistically speaking, work and general life stuff will probably mean I won't be able to implement everything, so my main focus will be making the material refinement/production gameplay fun. Features like fatigue (and the dogs), clever supply-and-demand price fluctuations, etc will be stuff that I'll put in if I can.

Lastly, all I've done so far is making sure that the idea and specific features needed are nailed down with as much detail as I can, before diving into coding. Although I've done a ton of work in Python before, it's been on Web stuff with Django, so with that and the little experimentation I've had over the years with Pygame, it seems like the next two weeks will be really fun.

That's all for now!