Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Plan of My Game (Your Thoughts?)

A topic by MH_ch4mp created Jul 24, 2023 Views: 109 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3

I guess this is Devlog 0 - not sure if I will make a Devlog 1 but oh well...

So to stay in order for the Jam's optional Theme I've decided to make 3 elements of my game cycle-like. 

First of all you control a 2d physics-based Circle (Which is Known as a Cycle in the game. Because of Bicycles Wheels and stuff) You then can rotate it and move around in little jump-like movement. Basically adding a force in a direction. You then will (like in most arcade-style games) Dodge and fight enemies.

These 'Enemies' will Cycle Between an Attack Mode, in which they follow the player, and a Weak Mode - which is where you can deal damage and stuff. Think of it like the ghost from Pacman but they cycle through their different states.

Then for another implementation, I've decided to go rogue-like-esque and have random Powerups every certain amount of time. Like in a Cycle...

These are just a general scope of the game so I'm not really sure how it'll go. But since its the Summer Holidays, I'm sure I can keep up with this small workload.

Ok, your game is more arcade based. Just a idea. How about you make it like a arcade game, like when you want to start up the game it asks for a coin, and you press enter or smth to start the game. And like you have your game housed inside of a game console. Imagine at the end of the game the character that is playing the console stands and says, "I'm parched, I'm going to get some water." Then roll the credits.

Thats a really good idea. I'll see if I can do something similiar in the time frame I have. Thanks Again Javion Thomas

(+1)

Devlog 1 (Kinda) - 

So I've started actually creating the game and have made sprites for both the player and enemy. I've Also made the different  Modes for the enemies cycle. I also have created the movement system for the player.

You rotate the player using right mouse button and left mouse button and then Use space bar to propel yourself forwards. I've decided to go with this because I enjoy watching and playing games with unique sloppy controls such as Octo-Dad(Daddy), Getting over it and etc. I've had to make an arrow/pointer to show the direction the player is because you can't really see the rotation because it's a circle.

This is the attacking mode of the Enemy with some crappy annotations.

This is the Weak Mode of the Enemy with some more crappy annotations

I've also added some tweening between the modes*

Since I've got the Enemies death Tween working as well, For the rest of the Day I'm just going to be working on a Game Loop (Probably no Main/ Start Menu) and the spawning of these Enemies.

It can't be an Physics-Based Arcade Game without some Waves of Enemies (hopefully it'll work)

Next devlog will be probably later in the evening