Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Campfire Story Visual Novel

A topic by phylliss created Jul 22, 2023 Views: 165 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted(+1)

Hello hello! I'm making a visual novel that follows a scary campfire story that a girl makes with her friends. The main gimmick of the game is that the player gets to choose the choices of the person in the story, which leads to different endings with different monsters. Today I'm focusing on the UI and the Main Menu designs, along with completing the character designs. There will be the main character/narrator, her two friends, the actual character in the story, and the monsters.

This is my first time in game development, and I've chosen to use Ren'Py. So far I've completed the dialogue UI!

Submitted(+1)

Day 2!! I was not able to finish coding the Main Menu and the character designs yesterday, so that's what my focus was on today. I completed the character designs, however one character's colors are most likely going to change. The Main Menu is done, and here's what it looks like:

I'm really proud of the little work I've done so far! Only thing that's concerning me is if the colors are coming out right on different devices. Whenever I draw on my laptop and then view the finish piece on my phone, the colors are much more saturated and warmer on my phone compared to my laptop. (I don't know if it's the same with other devices, as I don't have access to anything else.) I was wondering if anyone knows how I can exactly check/solve this, so any tips are very much appreciated!

For now, I'll be working on the story and the dialogue for the game. I'll appreciate any help for my color correcting issue and also any feedback for the Main Menu design!

Hey! I believe that this Main Menu design is great! (P.S. I'm on Chromebook.)

Submitted

Thank you for telling!!! That really means a lot <3

Submitted(+1)

Day 4! I was not able to do a Devlog yesterday because I went places, but progress was made! I figured out a basic way that the story is gonna go, which includes a sort of point system that will decide the monster at the end. I've also decided on the monsters, but I'll be keeping them a secret for now until the release, or until a problem comes up with them lol

So far, I have maybe only half of the plot planned out, and after I'll need to edit it and fully flesh it out. I'm hoping to have the draft of the plot done by tonight, and then a fleshed out version tomorrow. After all that, I'll then work on dialogue and character sprites, working on one bit and switching to the other when I get bored. It's something that I kinda recommend to try if you have a lot of stuff to do and not a lot of brain power. For me, whenever I'm doing something continuously, I get bored quick. To combat that, I'd go to work on a different assignment, until I get bored again. And hopefully, if all goes well, I can return to the first assignment to get out of the boredom of the second one, and rinse and repeat. If this all makes sense lol

Not the most exciting Devlog, but I'm happy there's something!! wahoo