Jobs
Tags

Progress report

A topic by bdero created May 04, 2018 Views: 378 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Update 1  - it's ha馃叡ening

collab between andwn and bdero.

• we've got a design doc (not spoiling it yet though)
  • movement and camera: 
  • our hero:
Submitted

Update 2 - happy seiso de mayo everyone

• `wint` is in the game and can pick up items
  • composed some (bart flintstone) boss music
  • boss battle in the works
Submitted

Update 3 - job's done

Play the game here in your browser!

Decided to skip making the 3rd incremental update and just post the game. It's "finished", although it has zero environment polish. I'll be catching a business flight to Europe in the morning, and andwn just hopped on a flight to Limit Break in UT, so it's time to call it quits now rather than work on it for the rest of the weekend.

What went right?

• We wrote a super quick design doc to come up with the scenario and a few details before starting. It's not much, but even this small amount of pre-work was great for collaborating and keeping things on track.
  • The Unity collab tools were quick, convenient, and stable - no need to deal with Git LFS this time around for version control.
  • Cool UI contributions from yamilah.
  • OpenGameArt was convenient for grabbing basic sounds and textures.
  • The html5 download size is actually not that bad given what's included.
  • Practice making more music is always a good thing.

What went wrong?

• I didn't end up having any time to work on pretty environment stuff, so the environments are literally just terrain....
  • I quickly rigged the mesh in Blender using rigify. While the generated rig was absolutely flawless for animating out of the box, the spine deformation bones were NOT a child of the hips or torso, but the rest of the bones are (including shoulders, breasts, arms, and even the very top of the head, etc)! This caused a really crappy problem when I hooked up rigid bodies to the armature in order to achieve a ragdoll effect on death. I had to write a nasty hack that basically snapshots the transforms of the spine deformation bones relative to their closest bones on the connected hierarchy, and then apply these relative transforms back on every frame while in ragdoll mode. At the end of the day I'm sure there's a good reason for this weird armature setup, and rigify still saved me a lot of time despite this. But I seriously need to find a solution for this problem in future projects and/or rewrite this hack in a more elegant/less fragile way.
  • When testing in chrome, audio wasn't working at all because of a not-so-recent Chrome policy update! Unity 2018.1 has no implemented solution for it, but I got around it with something similar to this example solution which retries enabling WebAudio every 400 milliseconds and succeeds as soon as the user interacts with the page. I don't really like this solution because you might miss the intro music, but it's better than nothing.
  • Both music tracks loop absolutely seamlessly, but I can hear a stutter only when playing on the html5 target... an investigation for another day I guess.