SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Aerwynd's Devlog

A topic by Aerwynd created Oct 01, 2022 Views: 377 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 12
(1 edit) (+2)

Hello !

This is my first participation to Devtober, I'm a junior game designer, specialized in Level Design and Unreal Engine. :D

For this first participation, I've decided for a chill and cosy game that takes places in the mountains. You'll be playing as an explorer taking some much needed holydays, but adventure is never too far, even in this remote place ! 

Before playing, be sure to grab a nice hot chocolat along some biscuits and a warm blanket. Everything's ready ? Then hop in ! Gather some wood, lit a fire, rest in your cabin and explore your surroundings to discover all the secrets hidden in the snow ! 

I'll be updating this topic every day to keep track of all the progress made. 

Day #1 : Setting up ! 

As always, the first day has been dedicated to setting up the Unreal project. I'll be working on Unreal Engine  4 as the game doesn't requires the power of Unreal Engine 5. 

I've created the basic controls of the player such as walking, looking around, jumping and sprinting (which may not stay to the final game tho). I've also began working on some dynamic snow that will cover the ground of some areas. 

Tomorrow, I'll be coding the main mechanics of the game and begin to work on some art stuff like 3D assets or visual effects. 

Good luck to you as another first time participant. Really looking forward to your game, I always love myself a relaxing, chill game.

(+1)

Day #2 : Blueprints and 3D ! 

Today's art progress : 

Today have been quite a busy day, I've spent the morning creating textures for the game which led me to learn a new work method which I wasn't aware of that really made my day ! 

As a really bad drawer, I thought I wouldn't be able to create my own textures and get stuck in creation at some point, but then I found out about something really great. If like me you'd like to create textures by your own and have some basic skills in 3D (especially Blender), well it's quite simple. In addition, it's also optimization-friendly at it's best because you can make a low-poly mesh and make it look like a high poly mesh.

Big thanks to the creator of this tutorial ! 

Today's progress on blueprints : 

• Fully functionnal wood gathering mechanic.
  • 70% functionnal fireplace were the player will have to put the gathered wood. What's left to do is a timer that will put the fire off went it runs out of wood. 
  • Players' animations setup (you won't see the mesh but I need it to exist so I can setup footsteps sounds and marks in the snow later this month).
  • Bases of a save system which will allow the player to leave and comeback without loosing any progress. (Right now it only saves the player's position)
  • Functionnal pause menu with save and load buttons. 

Tomorrow's to-do list : 

• Finish the fireplace to make it 100% functionnal, art will come later.
  • Blockout for the two levels of the game. 
  • Create 3D assets.
  • Wood pile for the player to keep wood and not having to leave the cabin everytime. 
  • Bonus if I have time : night & day cycle.

Thanks for reading, see you tomorrow for Day #3 ! 

(1 edit)

Day #3 : Prototypes and new ideas. 

Things are going along nicely, I think I have found a suitable work rhythm and I'll try to stick to it until the end ! Today I also wanted to play a bit with Niagara and begin create some nice effects. I also began to think about some puzzles that I could add to the game as it will be about exploration and discovery. 

Today's art progress : 

• Falling snow for the outside level. 
  • Fire for the fireplace.
  • Early builds for assets, nothing ready to be shown for now.

Today's Blueprints progress : 

• Functionnal fireplace.
  • Functionnal wood pile.
  • First version for in-game pause menu.
  • Bases of the lantern.

Tomorrow's to-do list : 

• Create 3D assets.
  • Add more details to the blockout. 
  • First version of in game user interface.
  • First version of day and night cycle.
  • If I have time : begin to create puzzles interactions.

Thanks for reading and see you tomorrow ! :D

Day #4 : Slowing down

Today not much progress have been made but that's ok, tomorrow is another day !

Today's Art progress : 

• Minor tweaks to fire and snow in Niagara
  • Landscape modelling for the outside level 

• Functionnal day & night cycle 
  • Numbers of wood logs collected is now displayed on the right lower corner of the screen

Tomorrow's to-do list : 

• Create a landscape material
  • 3D assets 
  • Sprint mechanic 

Thanks for reading and see you tomorrow !

DAY 5# : Let it snow !

Following yesterday's slow down, I'm trying to get back on track as we approach the first week of the challenge done and present more and more visuals ! I'm trying to find my own visual indentity but as I'm not an artist to begin with, I'm struggling a bit. But I'll find  ! 

Today's Art progress: 

• Trees.
  • More work on some "complex" assets that will populate the cabin.
  • Landscape material bases, just now waiting for other textures to join the party.
  • Some post process experimentations

Here's a very first visual to the game that will change a lot during the next weeks : 

Today's Blueprint progress :

• Run for your life ! Don't worry, nothing will hunt you down here but I found that it would be frustrating for some players to not be able of running around.
  • Experimentations on duration of day and night.
  • Smoother camera for the player.

Tomorrow's to-do list : 

• Assets for the cabin's interior.
  • Puzzle design. 
  • Lighting researches for the cabin.
  • Outside model of the cabin.

See you tomorrow ! 

(1 edit)

DAY 6# : CODE CODE CODE 

Today I felt more in a programming mood than in an artistic mood so that's what I did !  

Today's Art progress : 

• I worked a bit on the cabin's model but things aren't going how I want. 

• Bases for the puzzle interactions.
  • Tweaks on the camera and player's speed.
  • Smoothing of day & night cycle.

Tomorrow's to-do list : 

• 3D assets.
  • Gather some sounds for later.
  • Code a first puzzle.

See you tomorrow ! 

DAY 7# : SOUNDS 

Today there insn't any progression on art or blueprints because I spent my day gathering sounds for the game ! This isn't something particulary fun but I wanted to do it early because I think it can help me create assets that will fit the sounds and the general mood I want to achieve in the game. 

So, tomorrow's to-do list remains the same without "Gather some sounds for later".

See you tomorrow ! 

DAY 8# : PUZZLE 

Today have been focused on setting up a first puzzle, so nothing more has been made ! 

I don't know what I'll do tomorrow so let's not plan anything ! 

See you tomorrow !

Day 9# : OH GOD I'M LATE

Well, in terms of posting updates I think, or at least... I hope. Anyways it's still yesterday in some countries of the world sooooo...

Today was chill, I only did 3D art ! 

See you tomorrow ! 

DAY 10# : NEW WORKFLOW 

So I've made the decision to stop the "to-do list" thing. Mostly because that jam was supposed to be something chill for me and this to-do list thing wasn't really helping me. And I'm currently reviewing the scope of my game and I'll probably make it even shorter. 

Today I've made some minor progression on programming, it's a little bit on hold for now because of the scope reducing. And on art, I'm trying to create assets xD 

See you tomorrow ! 

DAY 11 : REWORK

So today I've made the choice to merge my two levels into one because two levels would be totally useless and way too complex. Even in terms of optimization it doesn't changes anything to have everything in one level because my game is low-poly and the map isn't huge. So the save system has been reworked to work with that change, everything seems to go well I will have to test it more later. 

See you tomorrow !