Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] I Need You To Rebuild

A topic by Kirby Baird created Oct 01, 2020 Views: 781 Replies: 29
Viewing posts 8 to 27 of 29 · Next page · Previous page · First page · Last page

It looks like a really cool idea!

Writing the story of a game is really hard and require a lot of time, at least for me. Looks like you are doing a good job with that though. 

Good luck in the jam!

Submitted

Thank you!

Submitted

Oct 5 was a lot of bug fixing, as while Ch3A is a mostly linear story, Ch3B involves more exploration and decision-making. Got the kinks ironed out so far. 

Made an itch.io page, but it's still in draft mode so no point in linking it yet. I'm excited to post a build here, but I know it would be silly to do so until both of the chapters I'm working on have a decent stopping point. 

Submitted

Oct 6 mostly involved implementing one of the characters' Free Time modules into the story and squashing bugs around it. Why is Free Time in modules and not just written into the story? I call these segments Modules because they're meant to be modular. Each of these segments of one-on-one time with these characters are written so that they can be called at multiple points in the story and not be jarring or out-of-place. 

For instance, Chapter 3B has two different characters (Al and Kat) that you can spend time with, and you can only choose one before the story progresses.  Both Al and Kat each have three different Free Time segments that can be called at different points in the story. Let's say you're romancing Al, so you're going to choose Al during this chapter and get his first Free Time segment. Later in Chapter 4 if you pick him again you'll get his 2nd Free Time segment, and in Chapter 5 you can choose him to get his third and final Free Time segment. 

BUT what if you're not romancing Al? What if you're romancing some other character? Chapter 3, you didn't spend time with Al. Chapter 4, no time spent with Al either. Chapter 5 rolls around, and you think "Oh well, might as well spend some time with Al now." If you pick Al in this situation, because you hadn't picked him before, you'll STILL get his 1st Free Time segment no matter what chapter you're in. 

So yeah, that's the Free Time segment. It's not SUPER hard to code, the difficult part is writing scenes with characters that can be plugged in to different parts of the story. 

Submitted

Oct 7: You know, I'm pretty proud of the work I've done this week. Doing a devlog every day has been a great yardstick to measure productivity against. Let's me know I'm not just spinning my wheels here. 

Today was mostly re-writes and "fleshing out" of existing scenes, but for the most part I want to focus on creating new stuff rather than editing old stuff. Editing should come later. This should be the draft. So I'm aiming to not do any more script rewrites for the rest of the month. (This doesn't include editing of code, which will be necessary every day). 

Submitted

Oct 8: I've had way too many scratch graphics missing, and today was the time to fix that. I went into sketchup and made all the scenes I had been missing so far. Here's a few of the new scenes: 

That last one took FOREVER for my PC to render. I'm sure there are more effective and efficient ways to do these sorts of things, but I'm not an artist. I'm just happy to not have black screens for these scenes anymore. 

Submitted

Oct 9: I am very excited to say that I finally managed to get the Encyclopedia plugin working! Y'all have no idea, I've been trying to get this to work since AT LEAST 2016. 

The player gets a cell phone with a built in E-Reader. This functions as a Codex which allows the player to explore extra lore of the world (while keeping it entirely optional if that's not your bag). Talking to NPCs about the customs and practices of this country will unlock excerpts from in-world books that can be accessed from your E-Reader at any time. 

Next I need to figure out how to make the entries more visually appealing. I want the colors to match the rest of the theme, and I also need to figure out how to format these entries so they're not just a big block of text. But those are problems for later. For now I'm just hype I finally have a working in-game cell phone. 

Submitted

Oct 10: Nothing groundbreaking, just more writing. 

Submitted

Oct 11: Writing new entries for the Messages and E-Reader thing. 

Submitted

Oct 12: I've found that rendering the scenes in SketchUp helps me flesh out the scene's writing. Got a few new backgrounds rendered, and with it came a few extra scenes and concepts that help make the world a little more dynamic. Also wrote the game's first Bad End today, so that's fun. 

Submitted

Oct 13: Wrote and programmed the first Escape-The-Room section of the game. As puzzle solving isn't the main focus of the game I didn't make it quite as challenging as a fan of the Zero Escape series might want it, but it's just challenging enough to let the player know that some puzzle-solving may be necessary. 

Submitted

Oct 14: More writing, plus rendering a few more scenes. 

Submitted

Oct 15: Been writing today, with a side of bug fixes. I'm at the halfway point for both chapters 3A and 3B. My goal is to have both chapters finished by the time Devtober ends. 

Submitted

Oct 16: Spent most of the work today stripping out old placeholder music and replacing it with open-license music, then creating a comprehensive list of credits to include with the game's distribution. I'd love to include a jukebox feature with credits that pop up at the beginning of every song, but it's not necessary for the Oct 31st build so that feature is just gonna have to go on the backburner for now. 

Submitted

Oct 17: BUG FIXES 

Submitted

Oct 18: More writing. I think for this last leg of the jam I need to stick to focusing on writing the core story only, with music/graphics taking a back seat until after the jam. Even the Free Time modules gotta wait if I want to finish Chapters 3A and 3B before Oct 31. 

Submitted

Oct 19: Still writing. The more I write the further away the finish line gets. Still gonna stay positive about it. The goal is still to get the current chapters finished by Oct 31. 

Submitted (1 edit)

Oct 20: Some of my writing involving spy stuff needed to be rewritten, as I learned new stuff about how shortwave radios work. Silly me, I was under the impression that numbers stations worked on FM frequencies. Once I learned more about it, certain scenes had to be rewritten. I know very few people (if anyone) would have noticed or cared, but I would have known and it would have continued to bug me. 

Submitted

Oct 21st-25: Lack of updates are not because no work has been done. Rather, all the updates would sound the same. I've been writing, shoving that writing into the game, and debugging the new scenes from there. 

I'm excited for my progress, but a little bummed that it doesn't look like I'll finish both current chapters before the end of the month as I had previously planned. Every scene in these chapters ends up being so much larger than I had originally anticipated. 

Submitted

Oct 26-27: More writing and bug fixes. Some weird new bugs have been popping up, just as an end result from story paths branching out more and more. This is officially the furthest I've gotten in any videogame project. Neat! 

Submitted

Oct 28: Getting down to the wire now. Just cramming in as much writing as I can before Saturday's submission. 

Viewing posts 8 to 27 of 29 · Next page · Previous page · First page · Last page