Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

eL-Falso's DevLog

A topic by eL-Falso created Sep 30, 2020 Views: 645 Replies: 30
Viewing posts 9 to 28 of 30 · Next page · Previous page · First page · Last page

Day 8:

Today nothing really changed, somehow it was "Lazy Thursday", but at least I removed a black outline from a tree of an older prototype, the one I made for last years devtober.

Day 9 ToDo:

Retry?

-------------------
| Yes | No | Exit |
-------------------

Yes!! Let's give day 8 another try on day 9

• creating some environmental sprites like tree, stones, rocks,...

Day 9:

Today I created some environmental sprites like trees, stumps, rocks and put them into the game. Got rid of the tree from the "lazy Thursday" since this one wasn't in the perspective needed.

Day 10 ToDo:

Since I will not have this much time:

• Get rid of this green floor and put some grass on it 

Day 10:

Today I tried different styles of grass tiles, but so far I wasn't comfortable with most of those. Nevertheless the one I liked most of these was this one below, I know it also doesn't look awesome but the tile does its thing... away from the plain green stuff. At some point after the devtober challenge I'm pretty sure I will work on it again and I also know at some point there should be grass which is moving with the wind.

I'm really looking forward at the coding days in devtober since I'm more of the programmer myself \o/

Day 11 ToDo:

Since I will not have this much time again:

• create some more environmental sprites

Day 11:

Today my goal was to create some more environmental sprites for the game which I also did in the morning. But like in the last days I wasn't this satisfied with the work I did.

So I studied instead some PixelArt, be it tutorials, games with pixelart or whole tilesets and spritesheets. Because what I noticed at the end of last years devtober: 'I learned this much during this challenge, I can't describe it' So why not this year again? Since I don't plan to ship something real in the end of devtober, maybe just a small prototype or an one-level-demo. So I'm going to study also tomorrow until I try the learned stuff out then the days after, so I can finally start with the coding part on day 15.

Day 12 ToDo:

• study some PixelArt [day 2/2]
(1 edit)

Day 12-15:

During these day I made a much slower progress on the game than before. Because I decided on studying a lot of pixelart stuff, much more than I wanted to. But nevertheless at least a bit of progress is also progress. So below a comparison screenshot of a part of the game with upgraded pixelart. I know it's not this much, but also not final, nevertheless work continues on it after the challenge. So far I like the newer ones much better. <3

Day 16 ToDo:

Finally some real coding for the first time at this challenge \o/

• Create upgrade circle for the towers
(2 edits)

Day 16:

Today I started the work on the upgrade circle. So far it is working really well and I'm really proud of me how it turned out. I also did more than I wanted to, because I also added fade in & out animations. :O \o/ Work on it continues next week when "my weekend" begins.

top part:
  • space for three different upgrades
bottom part:
  • stats of the tower
  • improved stats depending on upgrade

Day 17 ToDo:

• Fix bugs in camera object
  • take a look at spawner (fix bugs & remove duplicate/unnecessary code)

Day 17:

Due to work didn't get this much done :-(

• merged some things in the spawner object
  • added delta-timing

Day 18 ToDo:

• Fix bugs in camera object? (for real this time?)

Day 18:

Finally after all this time I could fix THIS bug in the camera object, which really annoyed me \o/ Somehow it was really easy to find now :D

• refactored and merged code in the camera constructor
  • tried to find some small things which could be done in the next two days, since I'll again have not this much time

Day 19 ToDo:

• continue refactor code in the camera constructor

Day 19:

Today I finalized the refactoring of the code inside the camera constructor. But since it's a tower defense game, I also started with collecting some ideas for the first tower, which was a bit difficult finding some accurate information about fortification in the prehistoric age.

Day 20 ToDo:

• create the sprite for the first tower and make use of frames for a short "build" animation

Day 20:

Work on the first tower for the human prehistoric age started, but also on the build animation.

Day 21 ToDo:

Since my "weekend" starts, I'll have a lot of time:

• finalize tower sprite and build animation
  • implement it into the game
  • create bullet for the tower

Day 21:

Starting today the game starts to feel like a real TD game <3

I really like how the tower turned out (sprite & build animation). Nevertheless I think at some point I've to rework the arrow sprite since it's barely visible, but also fine tuning some variables :D

Day 22 ToDo:

• Health bars enemy
  • rework tower selection GUI
  • ???
(1 edit)

Day 22:

Today I figured out about masking & alpha channels and created some basic health bars. So far I think they are pretty nice. 

My second task for today was the "rework of the tower selection GUI" for building a complete new tower. I quickly scrapped this idea to have such a GUI somewhere in the game window and went with my first one, since the game should also include an strategic aspect. That's why I placed some "buildable places" on the map, only there you will be able to build towers. So you created these and just copied over the code from the "upgrade GUI" with some minor changes.
Today's result is really something to be proud of.

Please ignore the lines which are drawn from the arrows on the gif, you'll not find them in game they are from the gif encoder. :-(

Day 23 ToDo:

Fix bugs:

• clickable circles (selection & upgrade gui)
  • cursor somehow not in place

New stuff: (depending on spare time left)

• start work on menu

Day 23:

Since the day was really exhausting for me today, I just sat down and fixed the mentioned bugs above and a bit more:

• circles in the upgrade gui are now clickable in the whole circle & not anymore the half :D
  • "cursor somehow not in place" fixed itself, because of the fixed one before :D
  • added better display of the free lanes in the pathswitcher (debug only)
  • better handling of the selected "buildable place"

I also decided to move the work of the menu to another day so I can't just only start the work on it.

Day 24 ToDo:

• improve wave-system

Day 24:

Today I improved the wave system! \o/ So far it was only possible to create waves by ONE enemy and their amount. So for the new system I created some more enemy prototypes for testing purposes, which are currently just copies from the original one.

Then I thought which will be the best way to handle the new waves, so I also thought about a new data structure for it, so I came up with something pretty neat.

Now it's possible to create custom wave lengths with different enemies & different amounts:

Also in the data structure I reserved a part for a time which will count down for the enemies to begin spawning.

Last but not least I also created a function to check for the integrity of the data structure, which can be used to external file reading custom waves at some point later, maybe.

Day 25 ToDo:

Improve wave-system #2

• handle more waves
  • implement time value
  • call waves early
(1 edit)

Day 25:

Handling of multiple waves is now working great. What isn't working is the implementation of the time value, somehow I messed up the timer maybe, also this one is triggering when he shouldn't. Was working on it for hours but couldn't find the bug. Maybe tomorrow...

Day 26 ToDo:

• bug hunting in timer & time implementation in spawner

Day 26:

Since I was really annoyed yesterday evening because of all the things with the timer and other stuff, I was debugging the spawner & timers a lot today in the morning to see what is triggering at which time and which variables are changing. And voila... things became more obvious in the morning.

Because of that I successfully implemented in the evening the timer & time values but also the feature to call waves early which wasn't really on my list for today, but it was really easy :O

Thus I am more than enthusiastic about what I have achieved today:

Maybe at some point I have to work on both things again, but this is another task on another day far, far away...

Day 27 ToDo:

After this really successful day 26, I'll take day 27 off to gain more power and strength :O

Submitted

This seems like a cool game, I will keep a eye on it!

Thanks for your interest! I really try to get the best out of the game.

(1 edit)

Day 27:

This is not the devlog you're looking for.
Move along...
Move along...

Today at my day off I was really lazy, I have not even thought about my tomorrows task.

Day 28 ToDo:

Let it be be a surprise for you and me what this day will bring. Usually I don't like working without a task and no plans, but yeah let's see.

(1 edit)

Day 28:

Not this much to show today since I have not planned anything beforehand. Was thinking about tasks I could do, but took then the one from day 23 which was planned: The Menu!

So I thought about a data structure how to store all the data, how it should look like and which fonts to use. When it comes to the fonts I went with the Pixel Font ones by Chevy Ray, which are awesome! For the other two things? Be surprised! ;-)

So here the really basic menu as sneak peek:

Day 29 ToDo:

Sadly have to work again, so not THIS much time, but let's see how far I'll come with the menu.

Day 29:

Today I continued a bit the work on the menu in the early morning. Sadly I couldn't continue the work in the evening due to the current situation we are all in and an unexpected incident tomorrow in the morning. That's why I've to call it a day.

Day 30 ToDo (last day):

• Continue the tasks which I wanted to do today
  • write the post mortem
Viewing posts 9 to 28 of 30 · Next page · Previous page · First page · Last page