SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

My first rustlang game: Thrashinator

A topic by limered created Jun 25, 2021 Views: 69
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted

Hi@all!

I am a Developer from Germany. This game was my first contact with the rust language. It is a awesome language for game dev. I love how fast and memory safe it is (Everybody hates segfaults). And the borrow checker + compiler make developing awesome.

BUT: It turns out learning a new language, working a normal job and developing a game from scratch is much work. So some features didn't make it into the game: UI, start and end screen, a scoring system and music :-( . I plan to add them after the jam in a post jam version. I use ggez for rendering and have written everything else from scratch.

This Jam was fun and a learned a lot. I will join the next one for sure.

About the Game:

I started with a Asteroids Clone and put my take on it. You do not shoot, you slide into the asteroids to hit them with the side (white rect) of your ship and watch them shatter into pieces. This makes the game faster paced and hitting space stones just feels awesome. Basically you are the best drift racer in the world and need to protect it from pieces of a exploded planet. Just have fun with the controls. 

Tip: You can bounce of the planet to hit the rocks with your backside.

game. https://limered.itch.io/thrashinator-balls-of-steel