Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Phoenix Resonance Dev Blog

A topic by Phoenix Resonance created May 17, 2020 Views: 108 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2

Because of the Kintsugi theme I have decided to try my hand at fleshing out a concept I've had for a game called Kintsugi Samurai! The game centers around the journey of a broken ceramic samurai as he finds restoration and brings it to other broken ceramic figures. Thinking of making it a 2D side scroller. 

I tried my hand at using Tilt Brush for the artwork Friday night as I have for Stand Firm (my game centered around the Armor of God) and I just didn't feel like it was the right tool for the job. Brush strokes in VR might work for papery figures but not so much for something that's supposed to look like a statue. Perhaps a more skilled artist could make it work, but I still feel that the texture would be off.

An acquaintance of mine I told about my project thought of Kubo and the Two Strings when I described it to her. Interestingly enough, my mind has shifted toward using stop motion. That's when I discovered a number of games using it. Here are some impressive examples of stop motion games currently in the works.

http://haroldhalibut.com/

https://www.vokabulantis.com/

My current thought is to perhaps use ceramic statues that can be broken and put back together using real kintsugi, but that is certainly outside of the the scope of this game jam! Unfortunately, a writers conference that I forgot about prior to joining this game jam ate up most of my time yesterday, leaving me unable to scale things more appropriately. I'm doubting I  will have time to make a finished build, especially as I return to work tomorrow. 

I believe it makes the most sense for me to bow out of this competition, but this has been especially helpful toward helping me  flesh out my initial concept! I look forward to returning to Kintsugi Samurai at a later date and wish you all have better luck at making a awesome games for this competition! 

God bless,

David Michael Simmons

Submitted

Hope you can get something!