Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions? Start here! Sticky

A topic by AMES Showcase created Mar 24, 2020 Views: 384 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Host (2 edits)

Building up a FAQ - if you have questions, post here!

Q: Can former students participate?
A: YES! Just make sure you mark that you're a former student team when you submit your project. Only CURRENT student projects will be ranked.

Q: What resolution is required?
A: NONE! We recommend keeping it rationally small (not much bigger than 1024x768) to account for monitor size variance, but there's no explicit limit. But if it's set too high for a judge to play on their machine, they can't play it!

Hi, I graduated last year from the Sno-Isle VGD program and was wondering if me and a fellow Alumni may join? Even if we don't qualify for any awards or places, we'd still like to join in on the fun =)

Host

Board says YES former students can participate, but are not scored, so please ID that you're a former student team somewhere in your project page :) I'm going to add a field on submissions for that as well.

Submitted

My team and I were wondering what you mean by Growth through changes. Can you by chance have give us some specifications on what this could mean for the prompt?

Host

The prompt is set up to be "interpretable", you can take it how you want to. We try to do prompts that are open-ended enough to be versatile and not box people into specifics too much - if you have a specific idea you want to validate (does X meet the prompt?) you can either post here or email me - jflatmo on gmail (not doing email in normal format 'cuz bots...) to talk about it.

Submitted

Is there a specific resolution our game needs to be built for?

Host

Great question! For this, no. I'd recommend not going much over 1024x768 just to account for different peoples' screen resolutions and stuff (not everyone has an Awesome Gaming Rig), but nothing specific.

For SHOWCASE, resolution is capped at 1024x768 to account for LCD projectors at presentation sites.

Should our games be strictly non-violent, or are we looking at more of a PG-13 approach (still appropriate for school)?

Host

For the CONTEST rules, pg-13 is acceptable (keep it school appropriate). Your specific school might have more stringent rules and you should communicate with your instructor. I know a few schools have very strict non-violence policies on games.

What are the rules on outside help? Say, we had a couple people we knew who played different instruments, and gave them credit for the music, could we use them?

Host

Music and sound is acceptable to source (must cite, but otherwise OK). Anything else should be done by team members OR be preapproved. I'll try to publish the list of already approved stuff ASAP.

IN GENERAL: If it's part of "stock" unity or unreal (no "asset store") you're good to go, anything in Unity Package Manager is fine, other than that you need to check in. Generally the bars we look at when determining approval are:
"Should a student in one of our programs have reasonably been expected to create this themself?"
"Is this trivializing the need to actually USE the skills the students SHOULD be doing themselves?"

For example, a shader for water effects is probably going to be approved since it's both out of scope for teaching at high school level *AND* it's probably not having much of an effect on the overall gameplay or circumventing student need to use their skills.

No Game Dev program I'm aware of in the state has a sound engineering component or is paired with a program that does) so we're pretty permissive on audio.

Host

Oh, and since the games are being published online (via this itch.io site), anything used must be with appropriate licensing permissions - so copyrighted audio (such as pulling a song off a CD) wouldn't be acceptable. That's not applicable with your specific request but I don't want other people reading this answer to get confused :)

Hi! I'm an alumni of Sno-isle Tech Skills Center and Igraduated last year. Am I allowed to include team members who did not participate in sno-isle, or must I work with fellow alumni? Thanks!

Host(+1)

To avoid this getting too crazy I think I'd rather keep things to alumni of our programs only (I'd be ok if you wanted to work with a former PSSC student, since they're part of the consortium).

Submitted

Are we allowed to use the Character Controller component, or is that cheating?

Host

For the JAM that's fine, although your instructor might not allow it. If you're a skill center student, that would disqualify you from using it for Showcase.

As I understand it it teams are supposed to create pages, however I'm new to Itch and have no idea what that means could you please elaborate on what we're supposed to do?

Host

Good question, and the answer was a little long for the FAQ so I made a new topic for the process you can find here: https://itch.io/jam/2020-social-distance-jam/topic/730762/joining-the-jam-walkthrough

Host

Saw you set up, thank you!!